diy solar

diy solar

More home assistant example stuff

I would recommend going with linux. The proxmox downloads will have an image you can get that will install it all for you onto the machine then all of the virtual machines you add will feel windows like thru the web interface. Windows has too many things running the background to work all that well.

Your kind of defeating the whole idea of the minipc vs the pi route with windows running on it :)

Remember the virtual machines are all your interested in with a setup like this. Also reading that webpage you linked for the minipc you have showed that the seller was using very cheap ssd drives and that they were slowing the machines down badly. Make sure the ssd drive is decent to keep from causing a bottleneck performance wise. Good ssd's are very cheap now. I highly recommend the crucial mx series ssd drives since they have a capacitor in them to keep data from getting corrupted if the power fails that's running the pc.
I already have the PNY CS900 I linked above, I'll check out the crucial.
I agree windows is a terrible data hog.
So I install Proxmox and HA on the SSD, configure and it's up and running?

I am a relative dumb fuck when it comes to the software side of the computing world. I am going to do a bare metal proxmox install with a similar unit Dell micro PC and document it in my own confused way. Stand by for action this week 😁
As an added bonus I believe I can mount my existing HA as an image as well as create a brand new from scratch HA, should make it easier to do a clean install but still move my integrations over and remove the crud of my first generation of my experiments in HA.

Thanks @ThaiTaffy and @Crowz .
I used to be quite tech savvy decades ago...
Initially I was planning to use the SSD as a second boot device, I guess it would make a whole lot more sense to use it is a VM insides windows....
As @Crowz said don't use windows, proxmox will install bare metal on your mini pc which is Ubuntu/Debian then you can make a home assistant virtual machine and if you still want a system for whatever use case you can make either a Linux or windows machine to run in proxmox that can be shut down when not in use.
Um, I posted EXACTLY what I am using WITH links to the suppliers. Try scrolling up a few comments... #33.
Sorry didn't see that post.
I don't care what others run, I am posting what I run.
If you don't care about what others run why comment atall?
Your kind of defeating the whole idea of the minipc vs the pi route
Have you tried your system on a pi? I tried to use a pi400 a while back it crapped out the moment I tried to install my backup
I already have the PNY CS900 I linked above, I'll check out the crucial.
I agree windows is a terrible data hog.
So I install Proxmox and HA on the SSD, configure and it's up and running?
Pretty much my only other suggestion would be try to move your databases onto a HDD if your mini pc has one installed but it's not a major thing. If you search for "everythingsmarthome" on YouTube he has lots of good guides for many aspects of home assistant.

My primary HAOS runs on an Rpi3B+ and has been rock solid for the past 2 years. It is slow for compiling firmware and loading history graphs. I also run a duplicate in VM on a Windows laptop. This is my test environment and quicker to compile. Only issue is VM can loose network connection with power glitches. Rare and easy to fix but does happen.

Once I found out you can run esphome as standalone on Windows/Linux I do all my device compiles on the command line of some newer laptops. What would take 3~5 minutes is now 20 seconds or so.

Talk of smarter/better can be a slippery slope. Everyone's journey is different and things just evolve.

diy solar

diy solar
Back