diy solar

diy solar

Morning Star PWM vs EPever, Renogy, Rich solar, Make Sky Blue

Stewfish

I already have six 250w/30v (38v max) panels and this Morning Star controller looks like it would work well. I can go down to 5 panels to stay under 120a. I have always heard good things about morning Star. I also know you can buy a screen to go with it and it has a port to hook up your computer. This is for a small system at our camp with no inverter. It takes 4+ hours of running the generator just to charge the batteries. Is it worth triple the EPever or double the renogy/RichSolar?

5 panels 1250w at 12v = 104a
6 panels 1500w at 12v = 125a

I was thinking 2 controllers and run the panels parallel into each controller to stay under the max 48v. If I go with EPever or Renogy I can get more bang for buck and its even cheaper to add more panels some day with another controller. Esp since I can get the panels for $35.

I have too many panels for what I need but I think that with this controller not being as efficient I will be fine charging my 12 volt RV batteries. I will not have an inverter it's just to run the 12 volt appliances - 12v lights, propane fridge LCD, Furnace LCD, 12v pump for camping propane instant water heater, and to charge devices. For large draws I just turn on the generator remotely to run the microwave or blender or something for 5 minutes. Everything else is 12v. It takes hrs to charge the 4 golf cart batteries 2s2p with the generator. I have the panels and a rack already on our enclosed storage trailer.

Morning star Tristar 60a PWM $238*2= $476

EP ever 60a PWM $61 x 2 = $122

Renogy PWM adventurer 30a $50 *3 = $150 and I can get a bluetooth module

Rich solar has the same thing as the renogy for the same price, just rebranded $150

Make sky blue
is about $125 for 120a worth plus new high end fans and 2 more fans for back up = $170
The rest of the MPPT from Renogy, EPever, etc start at $500 ish for 120a worth up to $1000 for Victron

On a side note the panels were $35 each and are 5+ years old so I bet I wont even get the full 250w. 6 may not even produce 125a. That is for a day of testing to find out tho

Attachments

• IMG_20210119_161609406_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210119_161609406_HDR.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Not sure if this helps but I was watching one of Will Prowse videos this morning on a similar topic. It was very helpful for my needs.

Not sure if this helps but I was watching one of Will Prowse videos this morning on a similar topic. It was very helpful for my needs.

Yeah I saw that this morning also :) I know the morning star is professional type like a Victron, but man the EPever PWM is a great price at $122 to handle more than 1250w

Last edited:
If the specs you gave for the panels are correct, you will only see 8ish amps per panel with a PWM controller. PWM chops the voltage down to what is required by the batteries, but the current stays the same. If you were to use a MPPT controller you would see closer to the 30amps per panel. Look at the Epever 60a mppt controller, I think it is a respected brand here, you would only need 1 controller and fewer panels to create more charging power.
You have the same loads as I do on my camping trailer, 3 of the 250w panels and a 1500 watt PSW inverter you might never use the genny again....

Would be nice to see the full specs on the panels though...

edit-you can try searching PowMr & Srne as well-I have installed 6 of those and have had zero issues....

Last edited:
If the specs you gave for the panels are correct, you will only see 8ish amps per panel with a PWM controller. PWM chops the voltage down to what is required by the batteries, but the current stays the same. If you were to use a MPPT controller you would see closer to the 30amps per panel. Look at the Epever 60a mppt controller, I think it is a respected brand here, you would only need 1 controller and fewer panels to create more charging power.
You have the same loads as I do on my camping trailer, 3 of the 250w panels and a 1500 watt PSW inverter you might never use the genny again....

Would be nice to see the full specs on the panels though...

edit-you can try searching PowMr & Srne as well-I have installed 6 of those and have had zero issues....

Yeah, I wont be doing an inverter at all. Its just not what I want currently. I have a system to build in April and May that is 48v with two 6kw inverters and 28kwh of batteries. This project is a temporary system.

I would then need two of those controllers also. It says max 12v is 750w.

Confused - How can a panel put out 30 amps when the wattage and voltage max is set? Do you mean if I put the panels in series? It would be 8a x3 in parallel for the pwn.

I do see that I can get 150v PV in on the MPPT one but still only 750w. Maybe tou have a 24v system? I'd rather not have devices to get down to my 12v appliances. So $500 to have a higher voltage (panels in Series vs parallel) is all I can see.

This one would require 3 of them at $164 each and max voltage is 100. Which would be a wierd configuration of 2s and another panel paralleled onto that series. Which I'm not sure if thats possible.
EPever $274
The renogy
$299
MPPT - for $25 more and can take a bluetooth adapter and 800w PV in max

Last edited:
You indicated one panel is 250 watts and 30 volts, that works out to 8.3 amps. If hooked up to a 12v battery needing a charge with a pwm controller it would produce 14ish volts at 8.3 amps. With a MPPT controller it could be 14ish volts at 17.78 amps, but in reality both would be less than that due to losses.
The PWM cannot use the 16 extra volts at 8.3 amps your panel is producing, the MPPT can. Thats 132 watts.
If our panel numbers are correct....

edit-sorry about the 30 amps,I don't know where that came from-and I wrote it!

Last edited:
Didn't know this was a temporary charge system. 1 mppt controller will give you more wattage than 2 pwm for your 4 GC batteries. PWM can only use the rated amperage of a panel while MPPT can use all of the rated wattage. If you are expanding in a few months you should try to find a controller for your future needs. I don't know what that is but it certainly is not PWM

Back