diy solar

diy solar

Most efficient battery location for a 12V DC system?

DCCaveman

My solar panels are located on a roof around 50ft from my cabin with everything running on a 12V DC circuit. Is it better to locate the batteries in the shed near the panels and run a cable to the cabin or have the batteries in the cabin with 50ft 10AWG cables from the panels? Panels are 400W max output. MPPT charge controller with 2 X 110 AH lead acid batteries in parallel.

The higher the voltage on the long circuit the lower the voltage drop.
12 volts nominal is pretty low.
What is your pv string voltage?

It’s almost always more efficient to have the longer run from your solar panels in cost, use of materials, and power loss, especially since you already have your batteries in the cabin. The only exception I can think of is if you are not using any dc current in your cabin at all and have the inverter and batteries close to the panels and a single 120/240 volt wire going to the cabin, but with a battery bank as small as yours if you use dc current for as much as possible and only use an inverter when needed and avoid the idle power consumption of the inverter batteries in the cabin will still be a more efficient use of power.

Thanks for the advice. At this time of year I need to be sure I'm getting the most out of the system

more efficient to have the longer run from your solar panels in cost, use of materials, and power loss, especially since you already have your batteries in
Yes, I’d cable the panels into the house and let SCC handle it from there.

Back