diy solar

diy solar

MPP LV6548 Ground/Neutral Safety?

Sorry I do not. I have asked MPP for the changelog but have gotten no reply. Mine came with .07. If the reliance switch is similar to the Protran, and shares neutral in the main panel then the LV6548 is not officially compatible with it since that bridges the input neutral and output neutral.
Well crap, it is the protran transfer switch, now I'm back to square one again, I am so confused now

Attachments

• 16471933303391062409256799123410.jpg
    16471933303391062409256799123410.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 5
Sorry I do not. I have asked MPP for the changelog but have gotten no reply. Mine came with .07. If the reliance switch is similar to the Protran, and shares neutral in the main panel then the LV6548 is not officially compatible with it since that bridges the input neutral and output neutral.
Do you know how I could make this transfer switch work without making it no longer UL listed

Sorry for so many questions but do you know why its not compatible? Is it a ground loop or something like that
Don’t worry about asking questions. The Protran series is switches are great for what they do, I used one for years with a genset, but that genset had a floating neutral. The Protran series doesn’t switch the neutral. It passes neutral back into the main panel to feed the loads. if the power source has a bond between its neutral and its ground you end up with two bonds, the one in the source, and the one in the main panel. this results in neutral current having two ways to travel (parallel paths) and it will take both. You end up with basically 50% of your Unbalanced current on the EGC which then energizes any metal cases or conduits it contacts. It is an accident waiting to happen

Don’t worry about asking questions. The Protran series is switches are great for what they do, I used one for years with a genset, but that genset had a floating neutral. The Protran series doesn’t switch the neutral. It passes neutral back into the main panel to feed the loads. if the power source has a bond between its neutral and its ground you end up with two bonds, the one in the source, and the one in the main panel. this results in neutral current having two ways to travel (parallel paths) and it will take both. You end up with basically 50% of your Unbalanced current on the EGC which then energizes any metal cases or conduits it contacts. It is an accident waiting to happen
Dang it, I almost placed my order for the lv6548, I feel like I'm going backwards, can't afford an electrician to rewire everything, I had an estimate of 2600 to add a subpanel and 100 amp transfer switch but that would switch my entire house, I just want to power my 120 circuits, I already own the protran so I was hoping I could use it, aside from removing the bond screw from the lv6548 I think I'm out of luck with my project

The inverter is a transfer switch. Just wire it in between the 100a breaker and the lower bus in your existing panel.

Swap out the 100a breaker for a 50a breaker, and use #8 wire.
Done, and done.

Not sure what that means, is that something the an inspector would sign off on?
Wire the breaker, to a receptacle.
Wire the bottom bus, to a reverse service receptacle.
Make a short cord to plug into both receptacles. (manual bypass)
Add input and output cords to the inverter.
They can be plugged into these receptacles. (Inverter power)
Or, a generator can be plugged into the reverse service receptacle, to feed the bottom bus. (Generator power)

So I would disconnect the two hots from that breaker, use 6 awg wire from the inverter AC output to that breaker then add a dedicated single pull breaker from the top half of the buss to supply 120 volts to the AC input on the inverter? The inverter only has one hot, one neutral and one ground, how would I connect that to a double pull breaker

Wire the breaker, to a receptacle.
Wire the bottom bus, to a reverse service receptacle.
Make a short cord to plug into both.buss. (manual bypass)
Add input and output cords to the inverter.
They can be plugged into these receptacles. (Inverter power)
Or, a generator can be plugged into the reverse service receptacle, to feed the bottom bus. (Generator power)
Would that pass inspection?

Yes
The receptacles and cords, make it temporary power.
So to
No
That's the input to the inverter.
Doesn't that double pull breaker get its power from the main lugs on the top then send it to the lower buss through the double pull 60 amp breaker? I'm sure of i talked to a local electrician he would know exactly what your talking about, so on layman terms, I would have a male and female outlet/inlet with a short jumper cord to connect them together to be on grid power and the inverter would have a male on the input and a female on the output and when I want inverter power I would unplug the jumper cord and plug the inverter in?

Doesn't that double pull breaker get its power from the main lugs on the top then send it to the lower buss through the double pull 60 amp breaker?
No
That breaker feeds those two wires, which feeds the bottom bus.

Back