diy solar

diy solar

MPP-Solar LVX-6048

Surprised to see watts247 selling them before they've obtained UL/CE certs...

Surprised to see watts247 selling them before they've obtained UL/CE certs...
IMO: It Will Be Huge to see UL/CE certs on one of these All In Ones Options. I wonder who will be the first to do that, ... in an Always Evolving Arena of Ongoing Innovations . Likely cost a bit to jump that hoop with shifting requirements too.

What are the major differences between the LV and LVX? Looks like the LVX has a higher Pv input?
If you are considering a purchase, I recommend down load the specs to really compare. my impression: I think the LVX does have a higher PV input options. specs say of up to 450 voc (open cuircuit volts) and 120vdc -450vdc MPPT range. In contrast, a spec sheet I am looking at for the LV6548 says max 250Voc , and my LV2422 units max out at 145Voc :+)

Has anyone tested these yet? Am also curious about no load current draw, surge capacity, and if the legs are self balancing.

Capt Bill, I poured over all of the major spec sheets. It looks like the major limitations of most of the AIOs are the Pv input limit and the majority of them are only 120v AC. I bought one of the LVX from watts 24/7, it ships Monday. I’ll get back up to my place the week after memorial day and let you know how it works. Will be testing the 230v deep well pump that weekend and will run directly from the inverter. Really looking forward to trying this puppy out!

Looks like there is even a newer"water proof" version of the LVX6048 coming out called the LVX6048WP which has yet more upgrades to the regular LVX6048. Has 2 PV inputs up to 600V: https://www.mppsolar.com/v3/catalogs/LVX6048WP.pdf

The weight is considerably less then the LVX6048 so assuming they did something with the transformer. Wish they'd be more specific on surge capabilities on their specs which would make it more obvious what was changed related to that.

I saw that one when I was looking around. Super overkill for my needs, but looks like a beast of a machine! It’s crazy how many new AIOs have come out in the last six months. At this stage of my journey with solar (seven months) I prefer the simplicity of everything in one box, but I’d by lying if I said I wasn’t a little nervous about it failing. I may pick up back up components as a failsafe if something did fail in the middle of winter - that would be more than an unfortunate predicament and more on par with dangerous (I have a generator but MN cold starts can be brutal).

You guys know what fail rate is for devices on average?

I saw various posts about it, but would be interesting to know defect rate by manufacturer.

It looks like I can run a single string in series with the LVX6048 - can someone more sagely confirm?

Voc is 22.9 and I have 12 panels which puts me at 274.8 * 1.2 (for cold weather) = 329.76Voc

Panel specs attached.

Attachments

• 160D-SS-Datasheet.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
This unit is a modified European version to match USA voltages.

Unlike the LV6548, the LVX6048 is 240V Split Phase in one box.

The LVX6548 does not show or mention support for 3 phase.

Page 28
Grid-Tie Operation
6kW and 450V MPPT (100-400V range, 27amps)
can be stacked in parallel for as much as 54kW total output

The manual doesn't yet show the settings for USA (program 34, page 17)
The manual does show it feeding the grid.
View attachment 39076 View attachment 39077

The LV6548 manual in section 4-2 goes over 3 phase operation.

I think it is great to see: "compliant in regions that recognize this important safety standard." on that sell page. I would be surprise if that TUV/UL certification could get it past the hoop jumps in California for an approved Grid Tie, and thus official grid and electric supplier permission to feed the grid, and have an accounting of such on your utility bill. ... I will be open to being wrong; and would love to hear somebody getting fully grid tied in California with an LVX6048. I be dancing when I hear that story from a credible source :+)

I think it is great to see: "compliant in regions that recognize this important safety standard." on that sell page. I would be surprise if that TUV/UL certification could get it past the hoop jumps in California for an approved Grid Tie, and thus official grid and electric supplier permission to feed the grid, and have an accounting of such on your utility bill. ... I will be open to being wrong; and would love to hear somebody getting fully grid tied in California with an LVX6048. I be dancing when I hear that story from a credible source :+)
You are correct. It is not listed as an approved inverter in California for grid tie. There is no MPP solar inverters on their approved list: https://www.energy.ca.gov/programs-and-topics/programs/solar-equipment-lists

I sent an email to sales@usamppsolar.com asking 3 questions (and also see how good they are about responding to emails):
  1. Do the fans always run or are they temperature controlled?
  2. Do you know what the no load current draw is?
  3. Any idea if it would handle a 3HP electric motor?

I sent an email to sales@usamppsolar.com asking 3 questions (and also see how good they are about responding to emails):
  1. Do the fans always run or are they temperature controlled?
  2. Do you know what the no load current draw is?
  3. Any idea if it would handle a 3HP electric motor?
I think I can answer the first two on the LV6548. Fans always on, but on low until a load.
My Victron smart shunt says 28 watts average when idle.
Its runs my 15a chop saw fine. 3hp is around 23 amps, so I would say yes, though have not tested that.

Back