diy solar

diy solar

Mpp solar pip 1012lv-ms—6 awg sufficient for battery to inverter?

Jerejere

Hello all,
My pip-1012-lv-ms manual says 4awg or 2*8awg for connecting the battery to the all in one. Will Prowse used 4 awg in setting his up and I believe he said that was overkill. Video is here:

I’m using the same 4x280 ah cells in a 12v setup.

I already have 12” of 6 awg (+ & -)(that’s probably obvious) and 2 pairs of 24” lengths of 6 awg cable to make the various connections between battery, bms, 100A circuit breaker, and inverter. Do you think 6 awg is proper for the battery to all in one connection in this system?

Trying to be safe but also avoid unnecessary purchases.

Thank you for any help.

Of course, the forum fed me a thread that I didn’t find in my initial searches after I posted this.
Using the formula there:
I have a 1000W inverter/20A low voltage/.93 efficiency rating x1.25 = 67.2A

The Amazon page lists this cable at 115 amp capacity.
It’s this:

just for clarity, I’m still unsure of my calculations/logic, Can anyone confirm that the 6 awg looks good for this application?

Of course, the forum fed me a thread that I didn’t find in my initial searches after I posted this.
Using the formula there:
I have a 1000W inverter/20A low voltage/.93 efficiency rating x1.25 = 67.2A

The Amazon page lists this cable at 115 amp capacity.
It’s this:
You have a mistake In your calculations. It should be:
1000w / 12v (let's say this is the lowest voltage for you battery @3v per cell) / 0.93 x 1.25 = 112A

Is your 6 awg Silicone insulated (200C temperature rating) ? If not, I guess it won't hold up to the amperage.
The current ratings for silicone insulated wire on the internet are pretty dispersed.
Some say 6awg silicone wire is good for 115A, others say more, others say less.

I think that if your using wire from a reputable vendor and it's 200c silicone rated, you can get away with 6awg, assuming you probably won't be maxing out your inverter continuously.

Thank you for the advice—the cables are from Windy nation and are made in USA, insulation is epdm.

I’d prefer to replace them a few months down the road if it is recommended— I’m trying to get my battery set up so I can use it in a couple weeks. I have a project where I’m going to need to run a craftsman restorer out in the woods for a couple hours (not necessarily non stop)—craftsman told me that it draws 480 watts. I’ll be okay with that usage right? That will be the only thing running on it.

FWIW - I used 4AWG for my own MPP 1012, never any issues, wire never gets hot to the touch.
I used an online DC wire ga calculator and plugged in the parameters including the temperature rating for the cable I was using.
6 AWG seems small, and for the short cable lengths, would 4 AWG really cost you that much more compared with all the other parts your new set up needed?

Back