diy solar

diy solar

Separate PIP-1012LV-MS, same battery bank?

cadence-abundant

Hey folks, long time lurker, first time poster:

I've come into possession of about 20kWh of raw batteries [ 4 x ( 1560Ah per module, ~3.2V per module ) ] and want to use them to power some art at burning man for an eco-concious installation [ don't get me started on generators… ]. The power needs are about 1200W for 10 hours per day. I also have access to about 1kW of solar [ unsure how many panels and what series or parallel configuration they are in ]. I was planning on using the PIP-1012LV-M because the highest voltage I can get with the modules is ~12V in a 4S configuration.

However, since the PIP-1012LV-M can only put out 1000W and can only charge 500W, I was wondering if I could connect 2 PIP-1012LV-M to the batteries in 'parallel', each AIO would have its own 500W of solar i.e. I'd split the solar between the two AIO. The AC side of the AIO would not be connected together i.e. the AC side would be totally separate.

Is this doable? What are the issues I might run into? Thanks a lot!

Here's a diagram of what I'm planning:
+------------+ +------------+ | | | | | 500W Solar | | 500W Solar | | | | | +-+----------+ +-+----------+ | | +-----------------+ +-v------------+ +-v------------+ +-----------------+ | | | | | | | | | 1000W AC @ 120V <--+ PIP-1012LV-M | | PIP-1012LV-M +---> 1000W AC @ 120V | | | | | | | | | +-----------------+ +-^------------+ +-^------------+ +-----------------+ | | +--------------------+ | +-v------------------+ | | | 12V Battery Stack | | 1560 Ah | | | +--------------------+

Your plan will work though I would bet you do not get enough charging to keep the batteries up. 1200w for 10hr/day is 12000wh. Your 1000w worth of panels are likely only going to generate ~ 5000-6000wh max/day. This would mean you would be running down the batteries. 20000wh worth of batteries might carry you for the first day and than become progressively more discharged each day.

Back