diy solar

diy solar

MPPSolar LV6548 set up help

italianpianoman

I'm outfitting my tool trailer with a single MPPSolar LV6548 inverter.

My other equipment
- 4 silicate gel batteries (from Watts247), wired in series, using 2/0 cable, to make a single 250Ah, 48V bank.
- 3 Suntech panels - STP210-18/UB-1, (210W)
- 4 LG panels - LG315N1C-G4, (315W)

My questions:
1 - How do I connect my 7 mismatched panels correctly(best)? My assumption is 3 of the LG panels in series on one input and all the others in series on the other input. Thoughts?
2 - The inverter says I can use 4 AWG for the AC output side. Is a 70amp breaker the right size, if I add an electrical panel and run everything else from there? Could I go bigger?
3 - Since I'm using silicate gel batteries, I don't know if I need a shunt, a breaker, a fuse, or all three?? And how big, if I need any or all of them?

Attachments

• tool.PNG
    tool.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
I'm outfitting my tool trailer with a single MPPSolar LV6548 inverter.

My other equipment
- 4 silicate gel batteries (from Watts247), wired in series, using 2/0 cable, to make a single 250Ah, 48V bank.
- 3 Suntech panels - STP210-18/UB-1, (210W)
- 4 LG panels - LG315N1C-G4, (315W)

My questions:
1 - How do I connect my 7 mismatched panels correctly(best)? My assumption is 3 of the LG panels in series on one input and all the others in series on the other input. Thoughts?

Go ahead and try it that way, as long as you don't go over PV max Voc.

2 - The inverter says I can use 4 AWG for the AC output side. Is a 70amp breaker the right size, if I add an electrical panel and run everything else from there? Could I go bigger?

Usually I would go with a 60a breaker, 4 awg is usually considered an 85a wire, and observing the 80% rule, to size breaker 20% smaller. But you can look at the temp specs on your wire, and review an NEC wire ampacity chart to see if you can get away with a 70a breaker (I'm not going to look it up right now, so just providing some guidelines on things I check)... Remember, the breaker is to protect the circuit from overcurrent meltdown danger. But generally on all these LV6548s and 6500EX threads, I recommend a 60a breaker, I do have 4 of the LV6548s, and 60a is what I selected for the AC connections, since I am using 4 awg...

3 - Since I'm using silicate gel batteries, I don't know if I need a shunt, a breaker, a fuse, or all three?? And how big, if I need any or all of them?

I don't know much about that battery chemistry, but I purchased a shunt (BMV-712) to have a more accurate measurement of my SoC (on my LV6548 system).

And remember that you still need a breaker or fuse on any wire / circuit runs to protect the cable and connectors from overcurrent. Some like fuses (like Class-T) due to faster blow protection, I am fine with breakers because they offer the convenience of a quick reset, and circuit disconnect.

Back