diy solar

diy solar

MPPT Charge profile

Dedou

I believe the Flooded charging profile for my MPPT controller is better than the lithium profile for my Lifepo4 battery, am I right?

Flooded: Bulk/Abs. 14.4v Float 13.4v
Lithium: Bulk/Abs. 14.6v Float 13.7v

in addition, the dc/dc charger charges during driving 14.0/14.2/14.4/14.6v (which one I want to choose) without float voltage.

If your flooded has an equalization cycle that cannot be disabled, that is a no go.

Does your MPPT have a custom battery profile you can add/edit?

The flooded battery default setting will be temperature compensated, and have an equilization charge cycle. For lithium you dont want either of these charge actions.
A good starting point for charge profiles is to select the defaults used by Victron, 14.2 volts charge and 13.5 volts float.

What modles of charger do you have?

Most (all?) charge controllers won't use temp comp for lead acid unless they have a temp sensor connected. If no temp sensor, you'll likely not get temp comp.

If GEL, SLA or AGM are an option, those typically do not have equalization cycles.

If I couldn't disable equalization, I still think I would prefer the FLA settings over LFP and rely on the BMS to protect the batteries during an equalization cycle every 30 days vs. running at unnecessarily high voltages.

here are the profiles. Desulphation can be switched off, so the profile is two steps and there is no equalization.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230909_231741_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20230909_231741_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20230909_232123_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20230909_232123_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 10
That's a retarded controller. "desulphation" is "equalization". A controller that imposes 15.8V on Gel or AGM is a great way to destroy batteries. Praise jeebus that it's disabled by default.

Since the desulphation can be disabled, I would choose GEL with desulphation disabled.

I'm most interested in the float voltage, the LFP doesn't need it, so isn't that 13.4 the most optimal in this case?

I'm most interested in the float voltage, the LFP doesn't need it, so isn't that 13.4 the most optimal in this case?

*sigh*

LFP doesn't need float voltage if you're putting them in storage. If you're using them in a cyclic application, you definitely want it UNLESS, you want to charge to full every day and then watch your battery drain while the sun is shining.

3.375V/cell (13.5V for 4S) is considered optimal to hold them just under 100%.

Back