diy solar

diy solar

MPPT clipping

BJohnson

If my VOC adjusted for cold weather is 10% below the MPPT limit for bifacial panels but the watts could exceed the maximum number on that perfect day, will that extra amount just be clipped and do no harm to the MPPT? Panels are cheap enough today I would rather over panel a little and get closer to the max for more hours on more days.

If my VOC adjusted for cold weather is 10% below the MPPT limit for bifacial panels but the watts could exceed the maximum number on that perfect day, will that extra amount just be clipped and do no harm to the MPPT? Panels are cheap enough today I would rather over panel a little and get closer to the max for more hours on more days.

Like a 60W lightbulb in an 1800W AC outlet, the MPPT is a load to the array. It will only pull as much as it can use.

Over-paneling is very common, and most equipment can tolerate varying degrees of it. Depends on your MPPT. May want to check the manual.

Yes, I have a 22A MPPT, my panels are slightly over that...
Screenshot_20240219-120149.jpg
I would recommend running cold weather calculations to make sure 10% is enough headroom on the VOC...

Back