diy solar

diy solar

Multi input controllers

G00SE

There’s two O’s in G00SE
Another random thread by me caused by late night analysis paralysis hah.

So I’ve been scrutinizing various charge controllers to delineate differences between various companies and help isolate future project decisions

It would appear that of the “standalone” controllers the Tier One offerings by Schneider, Midnite, Victron, and Outback now all offer 100a or larger options
Victron has the RS 450/100 and 450/200
Outback has the flexmax 100 with a 300v limit
Schneider has the 600/100
And midnite has the 600/120 hawkes bay and 600/200 Barcelona

The smaller Victron has 2 independent MPPT trackers and the larger one has 4
Outback and schneider both only offer one
The midnite hawkes bay has 1 and Barcelona has 2

In “tier two” I’ve isolated the Growatt/sigineer 48120 mpv which offer 2 independent 60a inputs with a 250v limit
Eg4 is a single tracker 100a limit and 500v limit

If someone was to run an east/west array via a single charge controller it seems as though the dual inputs would prove beneficial.

Then the topic of combiner boxes comes into play. Is this still a logical and cost effective alternative?

To be quite frank the inputs of the Victron units alone start to make my brain yearn for twin 10kva Quattros vs midnite outback or schneider inverters
Then my more logical and budget minded portion comes in and says “but these charge controllers are the equivalent price of an entire tier 2 all in one inverter”
And thus, I spin in metaphorical circles and make more threads in here ?

So what say you all, if you could pick any one or two charge controllers from any company for free, which are you choosing and why?

If someone was to run an east/west array via a single charge controller it seems as though the dual inputs would prove beneficial.

Only marginally so.

Light gives voltage.
Intensity of light gives amps.

assuming same panel and series string count, E & W arrays in parallel on one MPPT will not perform significantly worse than the same arrays on two separate MPPT.

Then the topic of combiner boxes comes into play. Is this still a logical and cost effective alternative?

Single string MPPT input by definition eliminates the need for a combiner box... nothing to combine.

So what say you all, if you could pick any one or two charge controllers from any company for free, which are you choosing and why?

I would trade my Victron 250/100 for a RS 450/200 for future expansion and its galvanic isolation, i.e, the PV circuit and battery circuit are only inductively coupled - impossible for PV to short to battery. MPPT input count is a distant tertiary benefit.

@sunshine_eggo for the combiner box comment I was inferring for a 6s2p string with 6 east panels and 6 west panels into 1 MPPT

Sell me your 450/100 and then u can buy the 450/200 hah

I have the Victron 450/100 and it works great. Plus it has all the benefits mentioned by @sunshine_eggo. I wish I had the 200 just for some more inputs though...future expansion.

Back