diy solar

diy solar

My build thread

Well done, sleuths.
Yes, the panels were shattered during shipping. And re sealed with a thin layer of epoxy. Just to keep the uniform look with the others. The circuitry was cut cleanly back from the hole and electrically sealed. And the junction boxes were removed. So that no accidental production circuit could happen.
Thanks for chiming in. I was going to ask about epoxy resealing. I imagine it would help keep the shattered glass relatively stable, so it won't sag under it's own weight.

Yup

Nope, they are stationary. And just used for solar storage. Compression only helps if you use them as designed for an EV. Calendar aging is the only thing that will degrade them in this use case. And I don't know how to stop time. lol
I came from the DIY powerwall world originally, where they sort of fly a lot more by the seat of their pants. You can use cells a lot longer than the calendar age - the trick is the catch them once they finally build up the stalagmite structures internally and short. It can be spotted if you keep a log of cell voltages and look at them with a flir camera every once in a while.

I've had a Deye 8k for a few years now (with a nissan leaf based pack I built in 2018). I want to switch it to LFP, but then build an enclosed trailer with an inverter I can ac couple the Deye to (I run the Deye in zero export mode right now) and park in the corner of my lot, and go second life battery crazy.

The logical thing to do is to just buy a bunch of LFP cells for the Deye, but I have a family of 7 and it is only enough for emergency power, so I need another inverter to back it up. I tried to get a second Deye 8k a couple of times but the shipments of the US models into America were cancelled (I got the deye 8k before I even knew its relation, because I used the blue GTiL inverters with "Deye" on them, so I googled Deye and landed at their website, found a seller, and then ordered one).

Last edited:
I came from the DIY powerwall world originally, where they sort of fly a lot more by the seat of their pants. You can use cells a lot longer than the calendar age - the trick is the catch them once they finally build up the stalagmite structures internally and short. It can be spotted if you keep a log of cell voltages and look at them with a flir camera every once in a while.

I've had a Deye 8k for a few years now (with a nissan leaf based pack I built in 2018). I want to switch it to LFP, but then build an enclosed trailer with an inverter I can ac couple the Deye to (I run the Deye in zero export mode right now) and park in the corner of my lot, and go second life battery crazy.

The logical thing to do is to just buy a bunch of LFP cells for the Deye, but I have a family of 7 and it is only enough for emergency power, so I need another inverter to back it up. I tried to get a second Deye 8k a couple of times but the shipments of the US models into America were cancelled (I got the deye 8k before I even knew its relation, because I used the blue GTiL inverters with "Deye" on them, so I googled Deye and landed at their website, found a seller, and then ordered one).
They pop up in the marketplace, from time to time.
That's where I picked mine up.

Added a 3-ton A/C to the system, yesterday.
Set the thermostat to 65f , and it ran constantly all night. Everyone in the house was mad at me, this morning. Complaining about how cold it was. lol
I was waiting for a soft start to arrive. But I got impatient. It started up with no problem.
So, of course I pushed the system. Dryer running. Heaters fighting A/C's. Commercial ice maker, making ice. Microwave melting ice. And then, fired up the 3-ton. No issues at all. These Growatt's continue to impress me.

Last edited:
Added a 3-ton A/C to the system, yesterday.
Set the thermostat to 65f , and it ran constantly all night. Everyone in the house was mad at me, this morning. Complaining about how cold it was. lol
I was waiting for a soft start to arrive. But I got impatient. It started up with no problem.
So, of course I pushed the system. Heaters fighting A/C's. Commercial ice maker, making ice. Microwave melting ice. And then, fired up the 3-ton. No issues at all. These Growatt's continue to impress me.
Absolutely! Very cool. What max percentage of Growatt capacity did you see?
Last I understand you have (3) 5000 ES units running.

I assume you are running LED lights. Do you have any LED light dimming issues when other loads power on? I'm running ONE Growatt 5000ES and have pretty bad LED light dimming/pulsing whenever another moderate load comes on. The startup pulsing phase of the clothes washer makes the light situation pretty crazy in the house, especially if running the washer after dark... The LED light flickering gets pretty intense.

What has been your experience?

I assume you are running LED lights. Do you have any LED light dimming issues when other loads power on? I'm running ONE Growatt 5000ES and have pretty bad LED light dimming/pulsing whenever another moderate load comes on. The startup pulsing phase of the clothes washer makes the light situation pretty crazy in the house, especially if running the washer after dark... The LED light flickering gets pretty intense.

What has been your experience?
Zero flickering of lights. And yes, everything is LED.

I've been considering dual SPF 5000ES inverters with an autotransformer to provide split phase 120/240. However, I've been concerned with contradictory statements. For example, SignatureSolar posted a video passionately talking about how they worked with the factory to get US version (with no ground-neutral bond), but then later stated that some of the units they subsequently sold were not actually factory configured as per that video. (They had the European ground-neutral bond installed.) (I'm also a bit concerned with the somewhat high idle consumption. It seem better than the 6500 units, but not by much.)

I guess I should ask first if your system charges from the grid at all - or if you are totally off-grid?

How have you dealt with the ground-neutral bond issue?

Back