diy solar

diy solar

My Daly 16s 150 amp BMS is not working on my MPP solar LV6048 inverter/charger. NO BMS on the LiFeP04 Batteries. Can anybody have an advice?

QAE

I Just did a 6KW installation oversea. When I got there, My Daly 16s 48 volt 150 amp BMS is not working even though all the pin was tested perfectly before attaching the BMS. I ended up not installing a BMS on the LiFePO4 (BYD) Battery. The MPP solar Inverter/Charger LV6048 do not read the BMS. I decided to do a trip twice a year to actively balance the cell to see if I can protect the battery cells. Do anybody have an advice. the MPP LV6048 solar features say " Smart Battery Charger design to optimize battery performance". Does anybody think this feature can buy me some times while I am trying to find a good bms online?

The LV6048 only reads total voltage on the battery bank. The battery must have own bms. DO NOT use LiFePO4 s without bms!
I suppose you need to clarify the role of the BMS.

if its to monitor the voltage of the pack and disconnect it at a high voltage or low voltage, that is no different than what the MPP inverter is doing.
IF its to also balance the cells yes, you need something to insure that the cells stay balanced for long term cell health.

For cell ballance I use an active cell ballancer.

I suppose you need to clarify the role of the BMS.

if its to monitor the voltage of the pack and disconnect it at a high voltage or low voltage, that is no different than what the MPP inverter is doing.
IF its to also balance the cells yes, you need something to insure that the cells stay balanced for long term cell health.

For cell ballance I use an active cell ballancer.
A BMS does that but that is not its main duty it monitors each cell to make sure that you do not over-discharge the cell or overcharge the cell you can have a cell with no BMS at 4 volts and the pack will be still under voltage.

A BMS does that but that is not its main duty it monitors each cell to make sure that you do not over-discharge the cell or overcharge the cell you can have a cell with no BMS at 4 volts and the pack will be still under voltage.
as I understand any normal BMS will not disconnect on individual cell voltage, only pack voltage. Passive cell balancing will try to keep the cells balanced by burn off extra energy from the high cell. Active ones take that extra energy store it and push it to the low cell.

as I understand any normal BMS will not disconnect on individual cell voltage, only pack voltage. Passive cell balancing will try to keep the cells balanced by burn off extra energy from the high cell. Active ones take that extra energy store it and push it to the low cell.
That is FALSE and that will get you a pile of ashes in no time. When I have a BMS disconnect it is because of cell voltage not Pack voltage.

The LV6048 only reads total voltage on the battery bank. The battery must have own bms. DO NOT use LiFePO4 s without bms!
I have been living full-time on a LifePO4 pack for the last 6 years WITHOUT a BMS. Well, I take that back. I had a Daly 16s 300 amp BMS that lasted only one full cycle and failed. My battery pack consists of OLD Calb 180 cells and NEW EVE 280's in the same pack. I only have an active balancer. That's it and everything is fine. I forget about the pack for weeks at a time without checking it. You don't NEED a BMS.

Attachments

• IMG_2725.jpg
    IMG_2725.jpg
    347 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7745.PNG
    IMG_7745.PNG
    274.2 KB · Views: 12
I Just did a 6KW installation oversea. When I got there, My Daly 16s 48 volt 150 amp BMS is not working even though all the pin was tested perfectly before attaching the BMS. I ended up not installing a BMS on the LiFePO4 (BYD) Battery. The MPP solar Inverter/Charger LV6048 do not read the BMS. I decided to do a trip twice a year to actively balance the cell to see if I can protect the battery cells. Do anybody have an advice. the MPP LV6048 solar features say " Smart Battery Charger design to optimize battery performance". Does anybody think this feature can buy me some times while I am trying to find a good bms online?
On the BMS did you turn it on? You have to short the 2 negative leads on the bms together, or there is a button on some of them.

At 3:25 in the video it shows what I'm talking about,

I have been living full-time on a LifePO4 pack for the last 6 years WITHOUT a BMS.
That's called luck. A BMS makes sure any individual cell does not under or over volt. An MPP Solar unit can do this at the battery bank level, but it won't help you if one of the 16 cells in a 48V bank over or under volts.

That's called luck. A BMS makes sure any individual cell does not under or over volt. An MPP Solar unit can do this at the battery bank level, but it won't help you if one of the 16 cells in a 48V bank over or under volts.
WRONG. 6 years isn't "luck". Correct about a charge controller. But it doesn't matter if the cells don't drift. If they do drift, it will be only slight and that's what the active balancer takes care of.

WRONG. 6 years isn't "luck". Correct about a charge controller. But it doesn't matter if the cells don't drift. If they do drift, it will be only slight and that's what the active balancer takes care of.
Would you then say you need EITHER an active balancer or a BMS? Is an active balancer a pro-active approach whereas a BMS is a reactive approach?

Would you then say you need EITHER an active balancer or a BMS? Is an active balancer a pro-active approach whereas a BMS is a reactive approach?
I would say some monitoring is prudent. But over the last 6 years of beating on the cells, I've found very little is needed. As long as the terminal connections are tight, the cells don't really drift.

@jamiko @xNYCMarc You 2 should start another thread to talk over this issue instead of hijacking this one
The guy who wrote "DO NOT use LiFePO4 s without bms" is the one who hijacked this thread if you want to call it that. We are only discussing what was said here. It is also DIRECTLY related to what the OP said about not running a BMS and checking up on the system twice a year. So please make sure you understand ALL the facts before claiming someone is hijacking a thread.

Back