diy solar

diy solar

My experience large offgrid EG4 6.5kwh with felicity solar batteries, 60 solar panel system

Jefits

I figured I write up our experience. Shout out to kodi at signature solar design team in helping us design this.

We have an offgrid 8k sq ft house (4ksq ft of it is basement for wine) in temecula it would cost upwards of 200k to bring grid power so we opted to do it off grid for now.

We got 12 felicitysolar batteries 10kwh each from china roughly 2k in price each (alibaba).

4 EG4 6.5kw from signature solar, they are paired in split phase. There are two house panels that are seperated so invertor 1 and 3 are in split phase and invertor 2 and 4 (going left to right) are in split phase but they are not connected together

We were told not to put more than 6 batteries in parallel. We have two victron bus bars connected to 6 batteries each. Invertor 1 and 2 are going battery bank 1 and invertor 2 and 4 are battery bank 2. This allow us to never over use one battery bank.

We got eg4 chargers that go into each battery bank into the bus bar. We wired this to plugs that go outside to generator plug a plug. We got 12kwh generator that we can plug into that and run the battery chargers in case of prolonged cloudy days (unlikely to use). This allowed us not to send generator power directly into the invertors which we were told has some issues to do.

Each eg4 has 200amp breaker from the bus bar. Each eg4 has a dc disconnect (there is also another one at the outside solar farm).

Each eg4 is connected to 15 400watt solar panels in array of 7 and 8. Maximum 24kw generation at time. I have seen it get up to 20kw already in live tests. There is a 60 solar panel farm.

Some things we had to fix, the paralleling cables are too small between eacch eg4 but we able to make custom power sharing cables and able to buy a longer communication cable online.

Cutting the battery cables was a pain but they are 2 gauge and equal length. Bus bar to invertors are 1 gauge.

So far we have been doing well. House is nearing completion but they been using power for construction for over month now with minimal issues.

IT was lot of troubleshooting etc but so far so good. hope someone learns from our experience

Attachments

• IMG_4918.jpg
    IMG_4918.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 38
Back