diy solar

diy solar

My neighbors MPP Solar has a amp minimum?

Guda

Superstrut Strut
I am trying to get my neighbor up & running. He has a MPP solar 5000w and 2x 24v 50ah batteries. Says he gets a error code that his amps are not high enough. I'm not sure if thats a thing? The charger should be able to charge based on voltage, not amps correct?

Much thanks!

Not sure.
Thats what I thought.
My guess is he is hooking up the battery wrong.

I'm guessing now it might be his AC charging amp setting. I sent him a drawing of how the battery was supposed to be & he said thats how he did it. He doesn't even have PV. I'm going to hook him up with 4x265w. He was just trying to run on generator AC charging. He never could get it to work. So he runs a generator 8hrs a day.

I mainly wanted to qualify my guess that "low amps was not a thing". I don't want to go to someones place & end up where they were.

What kind of batteries are we talking about? LiFePO4?
If they are, what is the max charging current spec of the batteries?

2x 50ah 24v Battle Born. Arranged into 48v.

Got to get him some breakers. He has a power house so no heat.

Its going to be a few days before I go over there, Going to let him get the pv setup before I go make the wires. I am hoping its settings.

He should be able to AC charge without pv. Pretty sure.

Yes, but I was just going by the original post where it said "not enough amps" and thought maybe it was somehow set to charge from PV and he has none.

On my unit there is a couple settings that effect AC charging. His batteries are dead so I could not look at his settings.

Okay so he was being told that he needed to buy more batteries. Because his amps were too low. That sounded like a guy trying to sell stuff. But I don't know everything so I asked a lot of questions. I went & looked. He has a "surge protector", not a fuse or breaker. The wiring is wild as its a 240v unit wired for 120v. A couple jumpers get that done.

Error 72, connect AC output N wires together.
I'll have to look at that also.

His unit is just the same manufacture as mine. They are big time different. Learning curve I thought I'd avoid because I have a MPP solar also. I need to be building my combiner box.

You guys are awesome for sure

The answer the the question "are your AC output N wires wired together?" He's going to order stuff. I tell him to order a pv breaker & no response. I tried yall tried but ya cant make a horse drink. TY!

The manual for MPP solar does have a suggested bank size for the inverter size. Mine are LV6548, and suggested size is 250ah per inverter. I am not sure about the 5K inverters, but I would think 200ah minimum, especially for two in parallel.

Back