diy solar

diy solar

My new array

OzSolar

Whatever you did, that's what you planned.
This was my weekend project. 6 x 535w bifacial modules on the patio outside my office door. A local surplus place had a few hundred kw of them at 40 cents/watt. Still working on what I'm going to do with them. I already have a little bit bit over 15kW of other modules which takes me to net zero. IMG_5105.jpg

Last edited:
This was my weekend project. 6 x 535w bifacial modules on the patio outside my office door. A local surplus place had a few hundred kw of them at 40 cents/watt. Still working on what I'm going to do with them. I already have a little bit but over 15kW which takes me to net zero. View attachment 108023
Was that a deck you just took the 5/4 board up and put panels in its place?
Im Trying to visualize it.

Who is the Manufacture of the 550 watt panels?

Is your whole 15kw done in these?

I am assuming the rest are on the roof?

Weird seeing Cells on the bottom Side..

Was that a deck you just took the 5/4 board up and put panels in its place?
Pretty much.
Is your whole 15kw done in these?
No its' a mixture of Jinko 385's, Solarwold 250's and SunPower modules. Scraps left over from jobs.

Who is the Manufacture of the 550 watt panels?
VSUN. I never heard them until just recenlty but they check out. Nice Tier 1 manufacturer from what I can tell.

I am assuming the rest are on the roof?
And other patios.

Weird seeing Cells on the bottom Side..
Bifacials are pretty cool that way.

This was my weekend project. 6 x 535w bifacial modules on the patio outside my office door. A local surplus place had a few hundred kw of them at 40 cents/watt. Still working on what I'm going to do with them. I already have a little bit bit over 15kW of other modules which takes me to net zero.
Correct me if I am wrong, but are the panels not suppose to be on top of the roof, not under it? :)

Congrats on the net zero.

Correct me if I am wrong, but are the panels not suppose to be on top of the roof, not under it? :)
Darn, I can't get nothing past you guys.

I thought I had and AIO picked out to test on this array but that company totally flaked out on me so onto the next.

In the meantime I've got a solar water pumping project to get figured out. I've got a spare well on my place and going to use a Grundfos SQ Flex knock off that I picked up on Alibaba using REC 370 watt solar panels left over from another job.

Last edited:
Good looking install. What is the floor of the patio ? Something reflective like white gravel or white painted boards would be nice.

Love it. This was my first choice in install options, but would have used traditional non-bifacial because I'd want full shade under it.

This was my weekend project. 6 x 535w bifacial modules on the patio outside my office door. A local surplus place had a few hundred kw of them at 40 cents/watt. Still working on what I'm going to do with them. I already have a little bit bit over 15kW of other modules which takes me to net zero. View attachment 108023
So they should still add up to about 3 KW mounted like that, right?

Pretty much.

No its' a mixture of Jinko 385's, Solarwold 250's and SunPower modules. Scraps left over from jobs.

VSUN. I never heard them until just recenlty but they check out. Nice Tier 1 manufacturer from what I can tell.

And other patios.

Bifacials are pretty cool that way.
I noticed the company selling these are in Joplin. I'm in Kansas city. Too bad it's store pickup only. I wish there was a way to order from them for freight pickup and delivery.

I noticed the company selling these are in Joplin. I'm in Kansas city. Too bad it's store pickup only. I wish there was a way to order from them for freight pickup and delivery.
You don't wasn't to order these via freight. They are gorgeous modules but they are massive, think 4 x 8 sheets of plywood. If was me I'd rent an enclosed U-Haul, get down here, pick through the open pallets to make sure you aren't getting any damaged ones then get home. Actually if was me I'd take one of my trailers over there and have them fork a couple pallets onto it. (that's actually what I did, lol)

FYI they let you put a deposit down and hold them for 60 days ( I think). Pretty nice folks actually.

You don't wasn't to order these via freight. They are gorgeous modules but they are massive, think 4 x 8 sheets of plywood. If was me I'd rent an enclosed U-Haul, get down here, pick through the open pallets to make sure you aren't getting any damaged ones then get home. Actually if was me I'd take one of my trailers over there and have them fork a couple pallets onto it. (that's actually what I did, lol)

FYI they let you put a deposit down and hold them for 60 days ( I think). Pretty nice folks actually.
Hey thanks for the advice. Were there actually some that were broken when you went through the Pile?

Probably get a nice spike in June or July. What latitude ? Maybe 35 or 36? I`m 43 degrees I think.
36 lat. Module face due west. Hey.. you've got to use the patio you've got and... this is the cool part.... the 2T minisplit in my shop is what often tips the scale of me having to buy KWH from the man in the summer so a west optimized array should be just the ticket.

Hey thanks for the advice. Were there actually some that were broken when you went through the Pile?
You're welcome. Oh yeah.. lots of broken ones! Guessing at 15%??

The amazing about solar panels is the factory ships them on the absolutely crappiest pallets you can imagine. (I'm in the business) It's not an exaggeration to say that they've got no more handful of moves before they disintegrate and panels start to suffer.

Love it. This was my first choice in install options, but would have used traditional non-bifacial because I'd want full shade under it.
There's full shade under it. Check out full sun to shade line just in front of the 5g bucket but the water heater element in with 280V DC going to it. That's a different experiment I'm doing with direct PV water heating.

1661979673698.png
that

Last edited:
Back