diy solar

diy solar

My Seplos Mason Adventure.... it is just starting

SunnyNM

Over a year ago I got the solar bug and wound up buying raw cells. I bought 16 EVE 304ah LifePO4 batteries from Amy Zheng at Docan Power in the US. They arrived quickly and were all pristine. So I ordered another 16. There was one damaged one that Amy replaced right away.
As time has gone by my solar project languished some due to the need to get stands for the panels built and then to get a permit for installing a home system. Eventually the panels got installed, the big ass Growatt 12Kw inverter got hung and I got up the stones to wire up the BMS to the first set of raw cells. I got the BMS installed correctly and hooked up to the system. It's been less than two weeks since I went live.

Looking back I think I should have just bought the EG4 batteries and rack that I was originally going to go with. There has been some regret in not having the cells all wrapped up in a box with meters and built in BMS that would communicate with the inverter. But I had already got the cells so that is what I had to live with.

I hadn't been around DIYsolar or watching solar youtube videosfor awhile and the solar project sat unfinished, but I happened to stumble across the Seplos Mason kit assembly videos... that got me excited. So I watched videos and searched here on the forum and I would up ordering two kits from Amy Zheng. I sent payment March 27. She said to expect delivery in 40 to 60 days unless I wanted to pay for air freight which is more expensive so I said I'll wait.

Sunday, April 30 I messaged Amy to see if she had shipping information. She got back to me with a UPS tracking number but said that it wouldn't be active until the freight cleared customs and UPS took possession. Since I hadn't hit the 40 day mark I didn't check UPS. Tuesday I asked Amy if she had a ship date so I could count to 40 to 60 days. She replied Wednesday with the UPS informaiton that it looked like delivery would be Thursday.

And sure enough, my UPS driver dropped off two boxes today. Both boxes looked undamaged other than the usual shipping wear so tonight the boxes are waiting for me to open them up tomorrow morning.

I'll keep you posted to my progress.

Last edited:
You bought the Seplos boxes from Docan, not Seplos? Interesting. What did they charge you?

I've never understood the allure of these. Communication isn't important, and for the same price you can get a lot more capacity diy.

I've never understood the allure of these. Communication isn't important, and for the same price you can get a lot more capacity diy.
The Seplos Masons make the system MUCH cleaner, and it will be easier to pass an inspection if you want insurance on your home.

I suggest all systems we do have proper permits and electrician signoff on the installation and by the electric company if grid tied.

The Mason kits are not that expensive, and they come with a pretty good BMS and ability to monitor cell voltage quickly via a front panel. ( I believe one of our own DIYsolarforum members paid Seplos to create the kits) Since you can add your own cells, the cost for a 14KW battery becomes much less than buying pre-built battery.
Building it yourself also lets you do your own top balance before commissioning the system.

The metal case provides simpler wiring and adds compression also. If installing inside a home or garage, God forbid you have a battery fire, and you need insurance to cover the loss. I am not an Insurance agent, but I bet the adjuster will see a DIY battery, and not sign off on payment.

Back