diy solar

diy solar

My solar plans

dstra1

A couple weeks ago I dipped my foot in the solar world by purchasing a Pecron E1600LFP solar generator. I now want to expand and work towards the eventual plan of going totally solar.

To start I have someone local that has a bunch of Canadian Solar 275W panels for $30/ea. My pool house is almost perfectly south so I figure if I get 4 panels and do 2 pairs in series and then put the pairs in parallel it would give me theoretically 62.6V and 550W. The Pecron can take a max of 95V and 700W so this would work nicely. When I’m not charging the Pecron I’d like to power the pool house. I happen to have a 48V 2400W inverter from a UPS project that I can press into service. So if I’m correct in my thinking all I need to add are batteries (some configuration of 48V) and a charge controller. Therefore I’m thinking of saving some money and going with an inexpensive charge controller like the Temank 30A and putting the money into a good LiFePO4 battery.

Assuming this all works as expected and I learn a lot, the next step is to get my well pump solar powered. I replaced the pump a few years ago and at the time solar was not on my radar. So I have to make do with the 3 wire 240 AC pump that’s down 250 ft. I’ve read the forums here and understand the large surge that I need to deal with so I’m looking at the AIMS 48V 6000W Inverter/charger to dedicate to the well.

The final phase would be to continue to expand the system with more panels/batteries and a high end charge controller to handle all the daily 120VAC requirements. Unfortunately with 2 kids in college I don’t have the funds to invest thousands upfront right now so I have to build in small increments. So are there any major flaws or really dumb mistakes in my plan? What size LiFePO4 battery should I start with? Do you think 50aH or am I better off saving my pennies and going with a 100aH right off the bat? Thanks for any wisdom you all can impart on this rookie.

All sounds good. The four panels would make 62.5v and 1100w but that should be ok, solar generator just won't use it all.

100ah for sure. There are no quality 50ah batteries. And definitely don't buy 4 12v batteries. One 100ah 48v server rack battery.

Back