diy solar

diy solar

My Solar PV journey is officially ending

Not sure exactly what you mean by this but there are plenty of systems that automatically switch back to the grid when batteries are low or use a current transformer to simply generate as much electricity as possible to offset using grid power but the entire system is still connected to grid power for when it is cloudy or at night
Ok fair enough so you are saying for example inverter and solar without batteries and switch back to grid when solar is insufficient ? That's possible but you need a 5kw inverter and those use about 70wh all the time, so an extra 1.7kwh a day.

Interesting idea though.

Do you know if you could connect one heating element to pv and the other one to grid?

What kind of power generation is your grid power coming from?
Heck if I know

we got down to 3.6 degrees in 2021. the heat pumps would have kept up. They have full output down to 17degrees and are only a little down at 5 degrees. Im really happy I installed them to. The soft start on them is beautiful!!! as a bonus I saved 20k over what the contractor wanted for 13seer single speed units :D

I'm going to install a wood stove for heat if we lose power for an extended period
Your heat pumps would have kept up. Whatever you have is not standard in "builder grade" construction in Texas, nor are people "cold weather performance" concerned about HVAC. Most people have no clue.

And I'm assuming "kept up" means they would not have kicked into resistive / emergency heat.

living in Texas with no AC is not my idea of a good time, and my wife would probably put my head on a pike if I suggested that. ouch

living in Texas with no AC is not my idea of a good time, and my wife would probably put my head on a pike if I suggested that. ouch
It's actually the cold that's gotten people killed. We "sometimes" have brownouts for high HVAC use, but I think it's a lot easier to predict the need for capacity.

It's actually the cold that's gotten people killed. We "sometimes" have brownouts for high HVAC use, but I think it's a lot easier to predict the need for capacity.
I think ,in Texas,more people die of heat ,than they do of cold.

I think ,in Texas,more people die of heat ,than they do of cold.
I believe that, but we have about 360 days of heat and 5 days of cold, so it's gonna work out that way.

The blackout types (rolling) that accompany high ambient temperatures are generally temporary in nature and can to some degree be planned.

Ok fair enough so you are saying for example inverter and solar without batteries and switch back to grid when solar is insufficient ? That's possible but you need a 5kw inverter and those use about 70wh all the time, so an extra 1.7kwh a day.
You can use a cheap inverter and cheap bypass mechanism to just run your base loads. The battery doesn't need to be sized for additional run time, just to stabilize the inverter as a cloud front comes through. You size the bank at about 2kWh(nominal)/kW PV; AGM batteries (even used) can do the job.

But, your best payback is likely summer awnings to shade the house more. ;)

Your heat pumps would have kept up. Whatever you have is not standard in "builder grade" construction in Texas, nor are people "cold weather performance" concerned about HVAC. Most people have no clue.

And I'm assuming "kept up" means they would not have kicked into resistive / emergency heat.
At 5 degrees out does use some resistive heat but the COP is still 1.8 so not purely resistive.

For folks that are on grid ... a "backup" system seems of high(er) importance. No matter where I lived in TX, CO ... outages happened, and for the strangest reasons. These range from brownouts & other fluctuations to full blackouts.

A small parallel inverter/battery-bank/panel-less system w/ small inverter-gen as backup can ride you over any scale outage, as the system is:
- recharged from grid after small outages
- recharged from small inverter-gen during longer outages
- automation can make it easy to operate, if components well-integrated

During a long outage (several days), the recharging gen would run no more than 4 hours in 24 or thereabouts, as it is the battery-bank getting you through the outage. Add propane as a site-fuel, and no messy fuel effort; plus, other devices can be propane.

Whole-house gens are in the $5k on up range, installed, and that buys a lot of the "off-grid" or parallel solution. I've seen them get into the $10k's, and then there's issues of reliabilty & service for gens of this size.

At this point, the comparison isn't "payback", it's "is there a backup in place" for an outage, making it a critical system (vs sitting in the dark). You want "buffers" in place for everything ... a 250-gallon buffer in the water system, a parallel power system for your grid power, etc. It's not how things are working now, or in the past, it's what will happen that you didn't think about, and these are legion.

Hope this helps ...

Last edited:
All the energy conscious Texans (and most are not) care about is SEER. And that's find normally, a snap of more than 2-3 days below 30 is very unusual. But when it hits, many of these units (including mine) cannot produce heat worth a crap via pump.
It depends on the brand and model. The ones I have are 100% efficient down to 5 degrees F. I think it was @SolarScott who did a video of his at something like 4 degrees and it was still toasty in the house. The standard heat pumps though, are only good down to about 30 degrees.

Mine don't even have heat strips installed. But no, they are not builder grade. I think a lot more people are concerned about cold weather after the last few winters. But to each his own.

You can use a cheap inverter and cheap bypass mechanism to just run your base loads. The battery doesn't need to be sized for additional run time, just to stabilize the inverter as a cloud front comes through. You size the bank at about 2kWh(nominal)/kW PV; AGM batteries (even used) can do the job.

But, your best payback is likely summer awnings to shade the house more. ;)
The sun is high in the sky in summer and it's only 400sq ft of windows who needs shading? ??

My base loads are too little to make a solar system make sense. If there was a bypass mechanism they could switch back to grid at dark , daily, and turn off the inverters, that's something that would work but afaik, that doesn't exist

For folks that are on grid ... a "backup" system seems of high(er) importance. No matter where I lived in TX, CO ... outages happened, and for the strangest reasons. These range from brownouts & other fluctuations to full blackouts.

A small parallel inverter/battery-bank/panel-less system w/ small inverter-gen as backup can ride you over any scale outage, as the system is:
- recharged from grid after small outages
- recharged from small inverter-gen during longer outages
- automation can make it easy to operate, if components well-integrated

During a long outage (several days), the recharging gen would run no more than 4 hours in 24 or thereabouts, as it is the battery-bank getting you through the outage. Add propane as a site-fuel, and no messy fuel effort; plus, other devices can be propane.

Whole-house gens are in the $5k on up range, installed, and that buys a lot of the "off-grid" or parallel solution. I've seen them get into the $10's, and then there's issues of reliabilty & service for gens of this size.

At this point, the comparison isn't "payback", it's "is there a backup in place" for an outage, making it a critical system (vs sitting in the dark). You want "buffers" in place for everything ... a 250-gallon buffer in the water system, a parallel power system for your grid power, etc. It's not how things are working now, or in the past, it's what will happen that you didn't think about, and these are legion.

Hope this helps ...
I can't remember an outage longer than an hour since I've lived here but if we some that outages will become more common then the backup system you described would be very advantageous, but that would be a fairly big assumption

The Texas grid is it's own political entity.
Unfortunately, MOST of Texas is on electrical power for heat and our heat pumps are NOT designed cold weather efficiency, so they eventually move to resistive heat - which is massive power draw and that strains the grid.

It failed in 2021 due to failure to winterize natural gas lines that were there to spin up turbines and high heating demands.
Many local failures in 2023, the overall grid was fine but local providers failed to handle trees / power lines that became burdened with an unusual amount of ice. Most of the outages were local transmission related.

In both cases, some people lost power for 1-2 weeks. It was a S-Show.
I have a ground source heat pump and it does not care what the outside temp is as the water is a constant 72° f with a COP of 4 the newer units have a higher cop.

I have a ground source heat pump and it does not care what the outside temp is as the water is a constant 72° f with a COP of 4 the newer units have a higher cop.
Ooh I heard those can cost 30-60k installed?

I went with solar due to the green movement I now enjoy a rate of $0.14 but if they cut off coal that figure will be much higher some power companies here are almost double that rate here already and it is my hobby. I am also in hurricane country and even a generator has problems if you cannot get fuel due to gas stations not being able to pump.

or at least going on a very long Hiatus.

So I built a passive solar house- the roof is 35° slope facing 4° west. no penetrations, no shading. I built it to be perfect for solar panels.

BUT, net metering ended two months ago before I could get in and I have spent the last two months trying to make solar with batteries make sense, and I have finally come to the conclusion that, right now, I cant.

energy averages $.11/kwh, down from $.14/kwh last year.

In the winter my house will use very little energy for HVAC, which is the main load for houses here my part of Texas. with no hvac system, on sunny days the house sits about 75 degrees due to all the radiant heat coming in through the south facing windows.

If I get 10 years out of an inverter and 6000 cycles out of the battery, I basically break even.

you guys are a fun but crazy bunch who persist through headaches of solar, and from reading on here, they are many. I don't have the patience to deal with all that comes with Solar PV and batteries

I have decided to do three things.
1. Wait for energy prices to go up and for battery
and inverter prices to come down
2. use a clothes line to dry clothes and save money there
3. Use a cheap diy Solar THERMAL hot water system to heat my water.

however, I still have a decision to make about backup for my well pump. we hardly ever lose power and I have 25 gallons of reserve in the pressure tank but if we have a freeze we could lose power for over a day. I'm going between an inverter/ battery , or a generator, and frankly the generator is winning right now :D
As far as water goes , I bought. 350 gallon potable plastic water tank…10 years ago … it’s made to fit snuggly in the back of a USA standard pick up truck…weighs about 2800 lbs full. put a 10 dollar hose tap in the side near the bottom…bought a 89.00 Shureflo 12 volt water pump…and some white hose.. hook it to a tap on the cabin or the RV…yer done ..!
make it a diaphragm pump …not impeller..
mine still is great after 10 years and a few thousand gallons of pumping.

thats it about ..about 400 .00 Total
i have used it so many times to feed my Rv in power down situations out on my land both summer and winter.. easily lasts a week living good and much longer if conditions require it…
It weighs about 50 lbs empty and can be handled by one man and filled up about anywhere there is a water supply while in the truck…then bring it home..that’s it..
if your ever without water you will appreciate how much water 350 gallon is… it’s huge..

PS. 12 drops of Clorox per gallon if you acquire well water or iffy sourced water ( not city) and it’s easily safe at least a year …if used quickly ,forget the Clorox , as that is for long term storage…or purification.
we have all become spoiled with how much water we think we must have…A shower , dishes , cooking, cleaning ..every day from a tank for a week… I can live with that if I have to…

Last edited:
You've been extremely lucky, if:

- a street transformer never blew
- trees/branches/ice never took out a line
- cars didn't crash into a pole
- weather events (tornados, hurricanes, deep freezes, heat waves, etc) didn't affect some or all of the overall system

... such that it didn't affect you directly. That's just the normal, visible stuff, and grids will react to it, and get it fixed sooner or later. BTW, did anyone read their grid contract lately, or the contract that the grid operates under with the PUC of the state? There's stuff in there that makes you want to have a backup source of power.

The invisible stuff is power quality ... sags, surges, brownouts, etc. Any grid has this, and most people won't know about it because they don't monitor for it, or it happened when they weren't doing something at that moment.

And then there's just the weird stuff you would never imagine ... someone shoots a critical transformer out, or the meth lab down the street blows up, or a wildfire took out entire neighborhoods because the weather aligned with an idiot and a fire ... or a train derails, or a hazmat hauler flips over, or ...

This is just electricity ... but one system of many. Water went out often enough as well, and we always played the game of "fill the tub, or don't fill it" ... are we feeling lucky today? We hardly ever got it right ...

Now, we have buffers for every system. Backups for every system. Technology makes it possible, and easy ...

Back