diy solar

diy solar

My solar system and recent problems with it

montanatumbleweed

My solar system (on RV)
8 - 270Ah Battleborn batteries wired in 48V configuration. 27,648 Wh.
2 Growatt SPF 5000 ES units. 1 Solar Edge mid-point transformer
7,050W solar.
EG 4 Chargeverter.
Breaker box next to the two Growatts, with 2 - 50A breakers fed
by the Growatts, 2 - 30A breakers feeding the RV main breaker, 1 - 15A
breaker feeding a seperate power "system" under my dashboard, and
1 - 20A breaker feeding a GFCI breaker outside.

Running an old RV with two air conditioners, a 120V apartment size
refrigerator, all LED lighting, and a couple of small fans. Also running an old
trailer with only a little nightlight and an AC upright freezer powered up.

Current situation:
All outlets were working properly, as shown by outlet tester, until
a recent rainstorm. Now all outlets showing "hot/neutral reverse".
Started testing at "dash" outlet that feeds my computer, (with nothing plugged in). When the breaker to the outlet is on, the tester shows the
"hot/neutral reverse" lights (all 3 lights on). When I shut off the breaker,
the tester shows "hot/ground reverse, (two outside lights on tester on).
Unplugged all outside extension cords, including the one to the trailer.
Same results. Shut off all house breakers, one at a time, same results.
shut off all breakers in breaker box, one at a time. Same results until I
shut off the breakers for the Growatts. (The mid-point transformer is
hard-wired into the breaker box). No power at all showing then. Shut
down the Growatts, including the power from the batteries. Allowed
everything to stay off for half an hour or so to hopefully let the capacitors
in the Growatts to dissipate the energy in them. Turned everything back on, one breaker at a time. Same results with tester.
Anyone else have this problem? ( my next-door neighbor has the same problem. We are both off-grid).

From what I can find, the Growatt inverters are producing 230 volts. And so you are using the Solar Edge midpoint transformer to produce the neutral. It sounds like your neutral from the transformer is no longer bonded to ground, or the transformer has failed completely or blew a fuse.

In any case, be very careful as you trace this out. If the center tap neutral of the Solar Edge transformer has become open, you may have a wild neutral which can be very dangerous to you and any 120 volt equipment plugged into the system. You need to measure the voltages from each leg to neutral with a load on just one leg to make sure the transformer is still holding a proper neutral. If the voltage of the loaded leg drops, the other leg will go up, and this can damage many things. If both legs hold the same voltage, even as one leg is loaded, then your neutral is probably working.

Since you are in an RV, I assume you do also have a plug for "Shore Power". This can add a big issue because when you are on shore power, the Neutral and Ground should NOT be bonded together. It should be bonded by the power source in the shore power feed. But when you are off grid, separate from shore power, then your MUST tie your neutral to the ground within your main breaker panel.

Some shore power switch panels handle this neutral bonding for you, but you need to check it to be sure. Some Victron equipment has a relay to handle the ground bonding when you go off grid. You did not mention if you have a shore connection, or any neutral ground bonding system.

Are you and your neighbor both plugged into the shore power at the RV park? Maybe the shore power connection was providing your ground, and the neutral ground bond of the shore power has failed? That could explain how you and your neighbor both had this happen about the same time. But once you disconnect from shore power, your system in Off Grid mode must supply it's own neutral bond.

You will need a DMM. Make sure everything is de-energized and then remove your AC out wires (except ground) from your Growatts. Energize the Growatts and test the AC out terminals that you have proper voltage from hot to neutral, hot to ground and no voltage on ground to neutral. If it is normal here than you have eliminated the Growatts as the source of the problem. This case you will need to trace your RV connections to see where something is causing the strange readings on your 3 prong tester.

If the Growatts are not providing proper AC out than it would be a Warranty or repair situation.

My solar system (on RV)
8 - 270Ah Battleborn batteries wired in 48V configuration. 27,648 Wh.
2 Growatt SPF 5000 ES units. 1 Solar Edge mid-point transformer
7,050W solar.
EG 4 Chargeverter.
Breaker box next to the two Growatts, with 2 - 50A breakers fed
by the Growatts, 2 - 30A breakers feeding the RV main breaker, 1 - 15A
breaker feeding a seperate power "system" under my dashboard, and
1 - 20A breaker feeding a GFCI breaker outside.

Running an old RV with two air conditioners, a 120V apartment size
refrigerator, all LED lighting, and a couple of small fans. Also running an old
trailer with only a little nightlight and an AC upright freezer powered up.

Current situation:
All outlets were working properly, as shown by outlet tester, until
a recent rainstorm. Now all outlets showing "hot/neutral reverse".
Started testing at "dash" outlet that feeds my computer, (with nothing plugged in). When the breaker to the outlet is on, the tester shows the
"hot/neutral reverse" lights (all 3 lights on). When I shut off the breaker,
the tester shows "hot/ground reverse, (two outside lights on tester on).
Unplugged all outside extension cords, including the one to the trailer.
Same results. Shut off all house breakers, one at a time, same results.
shut off all breakers in breaker box, one at a time. Same results until I
shut off the breakers for the Growatts. (The mid-point transformer is
hard-wired into the breaker box). No power at all showing then. Shut
down the Growatts, including the power from the batteries. Allowed
everything to stay off for half an hour or so to hopefully let the capacitors
in the Growatts to dissipate the energy in them. Turned everything back on, one breaker at a time. Same results with tester.
Anyone else have this problem? ( my next-door neighbor has the same problem. We are both off-grid).

Is that 7000w of solar mounted on an RV ?

Now that I'd like to see

From what I can find, the Growatt inverters are producing 230 volts. And so you are using the Solar Edge midpoint transformer to produce the neutral. It sounds like your neutral from the transformer is no longer bonded to ground, or the transformer has failed completely or blew a fuse.

In any case, be very careful as you trace this out. If the center tap neutral of the Solar Edge transformer has become open, you may have a wild neutral which can be very dangerous to you and any 120 volt equipment plugged into the system. You need to measure the voltages from each leg to neutral with a load on just one leg to make sure the transformer is still holding a proper neutral. If the voltage of the loaded leg drops, the other leg will go up, and this can damage many things. If both legs hold the same voltage, even as one leg is loaded, then your neutral is probably working.

Since you are in an RV, I assume you do also have a plug for "Shore Power". This can add a big issue because when you are on shore power, the Neutral and Ground should NOT be bonded together. It should be bonded by the power source in the shore power feed. But when you are off grid, separate from shore power, then your MUST tie your neutral to the ground within your main breaker panel.

Some shore power switch panels handle this neutral bonding for you, but you need to check it to be sure. Some Victron equipment has a relay to handle the ground bonding when you go off grid. You did not mention if you have a shore connection, or any neutral ground bonding system.

Are you and your neighbor both plugged into the shore power at the RV park? Maybe the shore power connection was providing your ground, and the neutral ground bond of the shore power has failed? That could explain how you and your neighbor both had this happen about the same time. But once you disconnect from shore power, your system in Off Grid mode must supply it's own neutral bond.
I wired the output of the growatts, (through the breaker panel next to them), directly into the old shore power cord, as this RV will never move, and I live in a community that is totally off-grid.
If there is no neutral to ground bond IN the Growatts, there is no neutral to ground bond in my system. I want to make one in the breaker box that the growatts feed, but at this point, I am kind of scared to, since I can't really afford a new set of Growatts.

Is that 7000w of solar mounted on an RV ?

Now that I'd like to see
LOL! No, the panels are "mounted" "down and dirty, set up on 2"X 4"s with the north end of each array up on two concrete blocks per side, with a strap to hold them down in the high winds we get here. They have survived the recent hurricane Hilary that ripped off two "portable garage" tarp covers.

Where did you purchase the Growatt SPF-5000-ES units?
Are they from Signature Solar, with the US modification?
If not, have you done the modification yourself?

The Growatt's do not perform any N/G bonding.
This must be done by you, in the loads panel.
You will need to verify the voltages with a digital volt meter. If the voltages are correct. Add the N/G bond.

The Growatt's do not perform any N/G bonding.
This must be done by you, in the loads panel.
You will need to verify the voltages with a digital volt meter. If the voltages are correct. Add the N/G bond.
Thank you for all your help. I will do the test as soon as I get my tester back from my neighbor, then try bonding the ground with neutral, if the voltages are correct.

Thank you for all your help. I will do the test as soon as I get my tester back from my neighbor, then try bonding the ground with neutral, if the voltages are correct.
I just finished testing and running a bonding wire from my ground bar to my neutral bar, and my system is working fine now. The 3-light tester is showing normal: just the two amber or orange lights on. THANKS A LOT!!!!

Back