diy solar

diy solar

NEC 408.36(D) compliant single-pole breakers

sgtcrumb

Hi All,

It's been a while since I posted here. I'm building an off-gird system using Sunny Island battery inverters/chargers. The Sunny Island AC1 terminal connects to a stand-alone breaker panel via a 70A single-pole breaker. This breaker is obviously back-fed by the Sunny Island. NEC 2017, rule 408.36(D), states

Plug-in-type overcurrent protection devices or plug-in type main lug assemblies that are backfed and used to terminate field-installed ungrounded supply conductors shall be secured in place by an additional fastener that requires other than a pull to release the device from the mounting means on the panel.

I have been searching for breaker panels that have a hold down kit for a single-pole breaker, and options appear limited. I was told Square D QO panels do not have such a kit. Siemens PN panels don't appear to either. What are you folks using? I wouldn't want to fail an inspection on such a trivial issue.

Thanks!

Eaton panels, and Eaton breakers have the hold-down kit. That's what I use, that's what Enphase uses. I don't use 1-pole breakers however. Idk about that. You can use a 2P breaker and just not use 1 pole.

Hi @ncsolarelectric,

Your suggestion sounds like an option. Thanks for the advice. Are you familiar with Eaton CH125RBCS (link: https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/skuPage.CH125RBCS.html)? Product descriptions on the internet claim this works for 1, 2, and 3-pole breakers.

Hi @OzSolar, thanks for the response. However, I think 705.12(B)5 exception will apply to the Sunny Boy PV inverter, which is listed as a UL 1741 device. If you unplug the Sunny Boy's breaker, it will interpret that as a grid-down situation and stop sending A/C to the grid. The Sunny Islands form the stand-alone grid which is required for the Sunny Boys to energize the breaker panel.

I think whatever is gridforming needs a tiedown. The interactive ones don't.

That looks similar to what I use for my Siemens breakers. The hold down type for your panel ought to be listed either in the catalog page and/or the wiring diagram sticker on your panel. On Siemens it works for every 2 pole breaker I've used it for. Never had a need to use it on 1 pole. I've used plenty of 2 pole breakers for 1 pole and MWBC applications.

If you don't have a breaker yet 70A double pole breaker may be easier to buy than single pole and repurpose in the future. 70A single pole is pretty niche.

If I were you I would just buy one and figure out how it fits together. That's faster than trying to find the PDF/diagrams online. Should be pretty self-explanatory how it works and what it's compatible with if you have the hold down, breaker, and panel all in one place.

Can you help better me understand better what you're doing? My memory is that AC1 on the Sunny Island is for the Grid/Generator. AC2 is the out for the loads which is where it will form the grid.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback. The system will be a split phase system with two Sunny Islands. I have some Siemens 2-pole breakers, and as far as I can tell, they're just two 1-pole breakers mechanically connected to trip together. If this is the case, one 2-pole Q270 breaker can be used instead of two 1-pole Q170 breakers. The Sunny Islands shouldn't know the difference, and Siemens does have a retaining clip for the 2-pole breakers (model #ECMBR2). Anyone aware of potential NEC violations with this solution?

@OzSolar, check the Sunny Island manual. AC1 is for loads and grid tie inverters (i.e sunny boys) and AC2 is for grid and/or generator. I'm building a stand-alone off-grid system with Sunny Islands in a split phase config and sunny boy PV inverters. They will all connect to the same breaker panel.

Anyone aware of potential NEC violations with this solution?

Only one I can think of is if there are instructions in the inverter manual that deviate from code.

Reread your OP. PN and SN panels from Siemens should support it. Minor caveats:
  • I am pretty sure it will not work with 1-pole frames. The clamp goes into a slot in the middle of a breaker, if you have 2 1-pole breakers this slot will be empty space basically.
  • they only make hold down clamp for breakers in the left side, but you can put it anywhere on the left row.
  • the hold down will block 2 spaces in the opposite side. don't make mistake I made and get too small of a panel. this may also prevent you from using the 120% to the max since you have 2 spaces on the bottom row now instead of 4. I think for an off-grid system you will not have two power sources anyway so you don't need 120% rule.
  • the terminal cover clip only fits larger breakers (60A and bigger?). I've passed inspection with smaller breakers.

@OzSolar, check the Sunny Island manual. AC1 is for loads and grid tie inverters (i.e sunny boys) and AC2 is for grid and/or generator. I'm building a stand-alone off-grid system with Sunny Islands in a split phase config and sunny boy PV inverters. They will all connect to the same breaker panel.
Ah... I see that now! I'd blame it on the drink but I wasn't. I was out of the normal worn out at the end of a long week and very sleepy. Side note: Where are you building that off grid gets inspected?

Home Depot has a BR hold down kit that might work for you.

Could you use a main breaker style load center and feed the Sunny Islands to the Main breaker?

Back