diy solar

diy solar

Need a little info about a solar controller

Bill 112

I have a 40 amp Epevers solar controller. I am just wonder about the wiring hook ups. Two wires come from the solar panels. Two wires go to to the batteries...and the last two say load. What is it that you do with the load terminals. I am putting in a 12v fuse panel. Is the load on the solar controller where I hook the 12v fuse panel to get my 12 volts for items in my camper that need 12 volts DC ????

Do you have the user manual?
What is the exact model number?

The LOAD output terminal is the switched output, the output Voltage depends on the system Voltage, that can be switched on and off by setting when it will be on and when it will be off, it can also be setup to turn off the LOAD output terminals when the battery Voltage gets too high or too low.
Most SCC with LOAD output terminals has limited current capability (I cannot find that spec in the user manual, I'm not sure if it can handle load up to 40A or not : https://www.epever.com/upload/cert/file/1811/Tracer-AN-SMS-EL-V1.0.pdf

See page 12 of the manual in the link on the typical wiring.

Last edited:
I am putting in a 12v fuse panel. Is the load on the solar controller where I hook the 12v fuse panel to get my 12 volts for items in my camper that need 12 volts DC?
No, your 12V fuse panel connects to the bus bars like everything else.

Do you have the user manual?
What is the exact model number?

The LOAD output terminal is the switched output, the output Voltage depends on the system Voltage, that can be switched on and off by setting when it will be on and when it will be off, it can also be setup to turn off the LOAD output terminals when the battery Voltage gets too high or too low.
Most SCC with LOAD output terminals has limited current capability (I cannot find that spec in the user manual, I'm not sure if it can handle load up to 40A or not : https://www.epever.com/upload/cert/file/1811/Tracer-AN-SMS-EL-V1.0.pdf

See page 12 of the manual in the link on the typical wiring.
tks for the reply.... yes sometimes the manual isn't real clear. If the connection says load you would think that is where you hook all your loads to. Up to the max output of the controller. Even on the diagrams it shows a light bulb connected to the load connectors + and - of the controller

Is the load on the solar controller where I hook the 12v fuse panel to get my 12 volts for items in my camper that need 12 volts DC ????

LOAD outputs are generally not directly used for normal loads. An overview of the issues and possible uses.

Up to the max output of the controller

In general, yes. Exception: the EpEver ≥50A AN series has relay outputs instead of LOAD outputs, and the user is expected to run an external relay.

Even on the diagrams it shows a light bulb connected to the load connectors

That was the most common historical use of the LOAD outputs.

tks for the reply.... yes sometimes the manual isn't real clear. If the connection says load you would think that is where you hook all your loads to. Up to the max output of the controller. Even on the diagrams it shows a light bulb connected to the load connectors + and - of the controller
As you can see, the heavy load, I.E. the inverter, is connected to the battery instead of the Load terminals. May be you can as EP to fins out how much surge current and running current the Load output can handle.
BTW, are you planning to use the EP to turn on/off power to the loads that are connected to the Load output terminals?

Back