diy solar

diy solar

Need advice on a system upgrade.

Markw

I currently have a 12v system and am working on upgrading it (finances are an issue so it won't all be upgraded at once). The diagram below is mostly how it is currently set up, but the diagram contains components I currently do not have on the system yet. This will be installed in a minivan (which I live in).

The components different from the diagram:

One battery installed rather than two.
The current inverter is a 1000 watt P/S not the 2000 watt on the diagram.
I don't yet have the smart shunt, the solar cutoff switch, nor the buss bars.

The small grey circles near the positive buss bar are fuses, which I haven't determined the size of as yet.

I should probably point out that I am also considering changing the charge controller to a Victron Smart 100/50, though I haven't completely decided on that yet.

1700583983072.png

What specific advice are you looking for? It's not clear from your post. Maybe you can provide a list of questions for the group to answer?

Sorry, only realized now that I didn't actually ask any question. lol

Am I using the right wire sizes in the right places?

Would like recommendations on fuse sizes (the grey ovals/circles in the diagram). Also, do I have fuses placed properly?

I actually have an updated diagram I am working on as I realized I needed larger gauge wire for the shunt (currently planning on using 1/0 rather than the 10 gauge in the original diagram).

In case in makes a difference, I am considering adding a 3rd battery to the mix. It would be hooked up in parallel to the other two.

Other changes I plan to make are swapping out the charge controller to a Victron 100/50 and possibly adding a Lynx distributer (though that will probably be down the road after I get a larger van and expand the power system again. I don't see needing it, really, for the system I have). I don't see needing a Multi-Plus anytime soon (which makes following the recommendations on explorist.life a bit difficult at times as pretty much every system they build has one).

This is the diagram that I am currently working on:

1701118197650.png

The thicker lines are 1/0 cable, the lines going to the inverter are 2 gauge cable and the thinner wires are 10 gauge

Take a look at these resources as a start:

Back