diy solar

diy solar

Need Advice - Suggestions - Learning as I go

Mortex

I have a 2005 Town and Country that I am living in Not by Choice but being a survivalist I make due with that which is available.
Click the link for My Story and Photos Sorry I do have more photos than posted in the story
I totaled the 2005 van and now transferring everything to the 2006 van same town and Country will be switching to 24V when finished insulating etc.. the new van..
NY winters can be brutal with several weeks NO Sunlight I need the fastest charge to last the longest This is what I have so far
everything listed below -

I have 2 - 12V 100watt Renogy mono solar panels mounted to the roof of my van - I built a double frame that holds 4 panels total.
I have 2 more just not installed at this time..
I have 4 Walmart deep cycle batteries. -- I am going to get 4 more by Nov / Dec.
After explaining things to Renogy -- my power usage they suggested using 24V system -- Currently using 12V system.
Reliable 24V 2500 pure sign wave inverter - to be used for my Electric skillet, Toaster Oven, NuWave oven only.
Pyle PSWNV240 24V DC to 12V DC 240W Power Step Down Converter. For my 3x 9-12V O2Cool Fans. and 12v led camper lights x 3
2 Epever Mppt Tracer 40A Controllers But only using 1 at this time.
Both My Laptops use power cords that are 12/24V
30Qt 12/24V compressor Fridge/Freezer + 20Qt 12/24/ same Fridge Freezer just smaller
2 x 12V/24V 80A Circuit breakers 8ga OFC wire from controller to batteries -- 4ga wire battery to battery Copper tined -- 10ga wire / copper tined connectors from Rich Solar
and 1 x 12 connector fuse panel

I removed the rear seats and use the drop down buckets to store the batteries tools etc... It's insulated with Radiant barrier insulation and R13 Insulation
The wood floor covering the drop down buckets - have taken steps to ensure any gas buildup goes out the sides of the drop down buckets
I put a Plywood Panel behind the seat to mount the solar controllers and 24v to 12v converter

Question / advice etc...
I want to connect both Solar Controllers 1 to 2 when connected to 24V system will that charge my batteries faster
I will have 4 batteries connected 24V to 2 solar panels 24V and 1 controller X's 2
What am I missing - need to change - I need to have power last for at least 2 weeks of winter cloudy skies
Thanks Jeff mortexs@ymail.com

It is a Double Aluminum Frame It is mounted on heavy duty horse trailer Aluminum hinges on the front it lifts up from rear to front for better sun 37 degrees The Back has locking latches
Currently everything is detached to suit my current needs
Notice off to the left Hinges along the top aluminum angle bar when Main frame is latched down
I lift the inner frame out to 37 degrees for better sun as it goes down in the evening
It will be mounted differently in the next 2 months to the new Van

Solar panels on roof.JPG

Attachments

• Where I currently live soon it will all be moved to New Van.JPG
    Where I currently live soon it will all be moved to New Van.JPG
    296.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Transfering everthing to that van in the back.JPG
    Transfering everthing to that van in the back.JPG
    209.4 KB · Views: 7
Question / advice etc...
I want to connect both Solar Controllers 1 to 2 when connected to 24V system will that charge my batteries faster
I will have 4 batteries connected 24V to 2 solar panels 24V and 1 controller X's 2
What am I missing - need to change - I need to have power last for at least 2 weeks of winter cloudy skies
Thanks Jeff mortexs@ymail.com

I'm not sure what you're asking. With that in mind...

You can connect multiple charge controllers to the same battery bank. That works.

The voltage of the individual panels doesn't matter (much). The voltage of the connected panels matters. For a 24v battery system, an MPPT solar charge controller will want to see PV voltage about 5 volts higher than the battery voltage before charging will begin. This is true of Victron equipment, other vendors behavior will vary some. So your PV input needs to be over about 30 volts. If you have the panels wired in parallel, that may not work. Series should work.

With regard to "fast" charging, LiFePO4 batteries will usually charge faster than lead acid batteries. However, LiFePO4 doesn't like to be charged under 32° F. The LiFePO4 battery would need to be inside the van so it stays warm.

Panels will need to be in series which could be an issue in the shade. You could source some more panels and make those portable allowing additional charging if you're shaded.

Your biggest problem will be enough solar for 8 batteries, probably 100Ah? You have some higher watt draws with electric cooktop, oven, electric skillet and toaster oven.

The fridges are the most important, might be better to split those off with their own batteries and solar.

Back