diy solar

diy solar

Need Advise

I run my deep well pump 1hp off my 4000w Schneider Conext SW4024 inverter no problem. The led lights blink when it comes on (regular bulbs do not) but it runs just fine. I converted it from 120 volt to 240 volt to help balance the load. The sw4024 is a split phase inverter
Thanks For the input!! Yes, I now realize as I get further along on my audit that an all in one package will probably not work for for our needs, at least not one I have found yet. Just curious, is there a specific reason you went with a 24v system?

Thanks For the input!! Yes, I now realize as I get further along on my audit that an all in one package will probably not work for for our needs, at least not one I have found yet. Just curious, is there a specific reason you went with a 24v system?
For me it really came down to Stupidity. I knew it, but my brain did not compute it. At the time, Even though I knew better, I wanted the largest battery bank I could possibly afford (which was Lead Acid 3 years ago). All I could see was 435ah Trojan L16s. 24v was x4 and 48v was x8 ... but what I knew, but did not compute in my rush to get the system operational ... I could have have gotten 8 225ah Trojan T105s FOR LESS $ than 4 435ah L16s and had about the SAME Amp Hour. 24x435=10440w and 48x220=10800. My local battery store sells T105s for less than $100 cash all day long (I just bought 4 last spring for $92 each cash).

If I could do it all again, I would go 48 in a heart beat. The Schneider Conext SW 4048 would have only been about $100 more than the SW 4024, I could have doubled my solar array size on my one MidNite Classic 150 Charge Controller (at least to 4000w - I now have 2526w) and I could have used smaller wire.

Live and Learn.

But if you have the coin. I find the Schneider SW and XW series to be very nice ~ probably the lowest price unit in its class. They are both rated UL 1741 so they are fit for in home install. And I think the SW (which I have) is a high frequency inverter, BUT .... it has a huge transformer inside, the unit weighs 77lbs and most of that is the transformer. So it starts motors without a blink.

You can see my full system build in my signature link.

(If you are on a phone you might no be able to see signatures on the Mobile page. I know on an android I cannot. I only see sigs using a PC on a web browser)

BTW, I am in the process of building up two 8s 272ah LifePo4 packs to put in parallel for the system. These will give me about 3 days of total black out (and about twice the usable watt hours of my original L16 bank)... based on my energy audit from a few years ago. We do not use much power per day. Only about 3500watts (excluding AC/Heat and Dryer). So a 4k inverter is fine for our needs.

Back