diy solar

diy solar

Need help/advise before purchasing a Victron Energy Smart Sense battery voltage and temperature monitor.

Ralos

I'm going to upgrade to a Victron 100/50 SCC with the Global Link 4G LTE. My setup is a remote off grid hunt camp. Built a 4s12v 200ah lifepo4 installed in an insulated heated case. My insulation consists of a layer of thermal foil bubble wrap exterior with 1.5 inch rigid foam inside of that. I had to move the bms Bluetooth dongle from inside to outside of the insulated cocoon but still within the case. I guess the layer of foil wrap was blocking it's signal or greatly hampering it. Because of my setup the Victron SCC manual suggests a smart sense battery temperature and voltage monitor. The instructions say attach it to the side of the battery, but I worry it's Bluetooth range may be affected by the layer of thermal foil. The Victron SCC and the battery will be only about 3 feet apart. Anyone have such a setup or any advice would be greatly appreciated.

SBS bluetooth range is good. I can pick it up from +40 feet line of sight, but if you build a Faraday cage around it, you'll block it.

If the BMS bluetooth is inhibited by the foil, I would expect similar results for the SBS.

I'm going to upgrade to a Victron 100/50 SCC with the Global Link 4G LTE. My setup is a remote off grid hunt camp. Built a 4s12v 200ah lifepo4 installed in an insulated heated case. My insulation consists of a layer of thermal foil bubble wrap exterior with 1.5 inch rigid foam inside of that. I had to move the bms Bluetooth dongle from inside to outside of the insulated cocoon but still within the case. I guess the layer of foil wrap was blocking it's signal or greatly hampering it. Because of my setup the Victron SCC manual suggests a smart sense battery temperature and voltage monitor. The instructions say attach it to the side of the battery, but I worry it's Bluetooth range may be affected by the layer of thermal foil. The Victron SCC and the battery will be only about 3 feet apart. Anyone have such a setup or any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Victron Bluetooth range can be poor on my boat theSCC struggles beyond 2 metres. It’s a suck it and see

Thank you both for your inputs. I'm still going with my planned Victron upgrades and will setup a test simulation before I take the equipment to it's remote site for final installation.

Probably worth noting that the insulating bubble wrap is very installation sensitive, i.e., it only provides its "R" value when installed in a very specific way. The way you've described the installation suggests the material is contributing almost nothing to slow heat transfer. Eliminating it, or providing a strategic gap for the BT signal is probably more beneficial than any minimal insulation it provides.

Probably worth noting that the insulating bubble wrap is very installation sensitive, i.e., it only provides its "R" value when installed in a very specific way. The way you've described the installation suggests the material is contributing almost nothing to slow heat transfer. Eliminating it, or providing a strategic gap for the BT signal is probably more beneficial than any minimal insulation it provides.
Got it. Thank you.

Back