diy solar

diy solar

Caution Before Purchasing Victron from XYZ Distributor!

AgroVenturesPeru

If I get the resolution I'm looking for, I will delete this post. Currently the Victron sales rep for our region and our distributor are gaslighting us.

My Victron MPPT stopped working properly about one year ago. This reflected as a battery bank that could not charge to 100%. I didn't know what was going on, so I contacted the distributor we bought it from. Mind you we spent about $15,000 with their company. They looked at our VRM and said our system looked fine. The problem was not resolved.

We reached out again this year, and were given suggestions like, "your panels must be dirty." This is a distributor who has threatened to not honor warranties in the past for reasons that were never communicated prior to purchase. The purchase was in two installments, and there were about two months in between each installment. If they had simply forgotten to mention their conditions prior to the first installment, then they had about two months in which to start practicing transparency with us. They did not. Instead we received a message saying that our order was taking up too much space in their warehouse, and they demanded prompt payment.

Some retroactive conditions we received in the form of threats to not honor our warranties due to various, seemingly whimsical, creative reasons such as:

1) For not hiring a "qualified" installer (i.e. someone from their list).
We actually tried to hire the guy they recommended, despite not sounding very confident, but then he actually moved to another area of the country for work, and he was no longer available. Probably for the better as that guy admitted not having any experience with the kinds of batteries we bought. How's that for qualified? At that point the distributor basically said, either pay one of us to come out there (opposite side of the country) and do it or we will not honor your warranties. They wanted roundtrip travel expenses, room & board, and of course a nice cushy stipend to support their capital city lifestyle. That would involve an hour flight, a three hour drive, and a twenty minute hike to get here. Naturally we opted to look for our own installer closer to us.

2) For wanting to purchase a MK3-USB cable.
This one's my favorite. One of the only things they promised in writing was to include an installation diagram with the "plug and play" system they sold us. About four months after we received the shipment I told them, "hey where's the installation diagram like you promised?" They hastily put together a diagram that was riddled with errors. I pointed the errors out to their electrical engineer and he had the document corrected. Naturally I started doubting their competence and wanted to make sure they had setup the parameters on the Multiplus inverter correctly according to the Victron-Pylontech compatibility document prior to installation. So, I requested they sell me an MK3-USB cable. They replied that they had it in stock, but that if I were to purchase the cable then they would no longer honor my warranties.

3) For purchasing a battery diagnostic cable.
Similar to the above. When I noticed the batteries no longer charging to 100% I naturally wanted to connect a laptop diagnostic cable to see what the cells were reporting. Again the distributor said I could pay $47 plus shipping for the cable, but then they would no longer honor my warranties. Instead they wanted me to ship to the capital to their shop on the other side of the country where they were going to hook up the same cable. Guess who had to pay for roundtrip shipping for that 70lb battery? The battery was finally returned after two months from the date of shipment to them. There was no padding other than two layers of cardboard. Luckily the thing was OK. Distributor says they found cobwebs inside the unit and that was the reason. I think their heads are full of cobwebs.

Here's why:

A very smart engineer with experience in Victron (a prominent member of this forum and Victron Community) helped me out of the goodness of their heart, when I could not get any competent help from the distributor. He successfully diagnosed the problem over the phone. It was the MPPT. He figured out a workaround and actually got our batteries to charge to 100% for the first time in about one year. No thanks to the distributor whatsoever. I had another battery that I did not send to the distributor that was also producing errors. Once the helpful engineer taught me the workaround for the charge controller, the battery with errors stopped producing any errors. It didn't require removal of cobwebs.

The distributor's electrical engineer admitted in whatsapp chat that they had successfully charged my battery in their shop to 100% multiple times without any errors or alarms prior to cleaning out the cobwebs, but they still listed cobwebs in their service report as the reason the battery was not charging to 100%.

I responded to the CEO of Victron on the thread started by the helpful engineer over at the Victron Community forum raising my concerns about pursuing warranty service with my distributor.

Apparently he had his sales rep reach out to me. The guy seems to be buddy-buddy with the distributor, and they seem to be insinuating that I somehow caused this glitch with the charge controller. His latest email insisted I pay out-of-pocket to the original distributor for a new unit and they will bring the new controller to me, install it, with the condition that "he can review [my] system, configuration and take pictures if required to make sure all is properly done. If any improvements are suggested, can decided how to proceed."

Righhtt. So give these excuse makers the chance to come up with more excuses not to honor the warranty. I can just imagine, "oh this battery is too close to the window. Oh we saw a spider in the bathroom and the installation is close to the bathroom, there should be loose wire instead of ferrules, let's get the ladder and check the panels on the roof, let's open the string box and make sure the fuses are still working, let's pull on some wires with all our strength to see if we can argue that they're not secured properly, oh these wires are not properly concealed and look unsightly, ahah! there's some cobwebs touching the charge controller. Sorry charlie, here's how much our roundtrip airfare cost and here's your new charge controller, we'll take the old one to our shop and decide not to follow the Pre-RMA bench test instructions, but will definitely tell our buddy buddy victron sales rep that we followed them and that the unit is OK, but you just need to clean your house better. Then we'll make you pay return shipping for your faulty unit and also charge you a service fee for not following the Pre-RMA bench test instructions. If you don't like it, then we can also sue you for defamation. Hasta la vista, Gringo!"

---

Just some food for thought if you're considering purchasing Victron components. I'm sure a lot has to do with the poor quality of distributors here, and the unfortunate sales rep of this region, but one year is too long to have to fight to receive warranty replacement.

What am I proposing that's so difficult to fulfill, you ask? I just wanted to purchase a new unit out of pocket, send the old unit to a competent distributor and then receive reimbursement when they actually follow page 24 of the Pre-RMA bench test instructions. No games, no BS. But apparently it's asking too much. The original idea Victron had was that I would just disconnect my MPPT and ship it to a distributor and they would determine the error that we've already determined here thanks to our helpful resident engineer. Then they would figure out how to get a new unit and ship it here. Hopefully that would take less than two months. Honestly though, I'm thinking I might rather be without electricity for two months than continue dealing with Victron staff and Peruvian distributors to come up with a slightly better solution. Did I mention we live outside a village of less than 100 people and it's a twenty minute walk along a steep muddy trail to get to our place? Pretty off-grid. Maybe we can go stay with our friends in the village and share some dirt floor space with their seven kids while we wait until the next decade for a replacement unit.

Last edited:
You can make their stuff work and can probably customize better than anything, but when gremlins pop up you better be a sleuth like Andy from Off Grid Garage. He’s obviously has some engineering background and his exposure makes Victron hop when he’s got an issue. I don’t know about the support for the typical DIY’er. I can’t wrap my head around half the stuff Andy gets into. I’ve worked with a few smaller Victon MPPT charge controls and didn’t have any problems and the app was very intuitive. But again it wasn’t interconnected and interactive.
You now know what kind of support you can expect in your area. I’d be looking at a cheaper hybrid system as a backup before you pull the plug for the Victron part exchange. Good luck.

I can understand the frustration of dealing with Victron so called distributors.

This is all just opinion but it is observed after a few years of dealing with Victron & having a background that, I think, allows me to understand their structure & its shortcomings.

Firstly, based on how wide & far Victron gear is available, there does not seem to be much control by Victron of the sales channels that 'distributors' use. This results in a number of box pushers rather than distributors. That may increase volumes but it comes at the price of a quality customer experience. In the Victron ecosystem, distributors are supposed to provide installation & warranty support. In the Victron Community Forum, Victron staff will regularly respond to questions by telling the user to contact their distributor.

This then raises the question of what qualification/experience is required to become a Victron distributor. There are some good distributors around but 'box pushers' are not behaving as distributors.

So it is possible that the Victron sales channel has two classes - distributors and resellers. Resellers being the 'box pushers' that do not provide any after sales support.

This would not be a problem if the products were straight forward to install. There are a number of gotchas when designing a Victron solution which are quite difficult to find - which is perhaps why Victron recommend using experienced Victron installers. But this becomes a Catch 22 - can't have experience until one does some installations and can't do installations until one has experience.

This YouTube interview with Guy Stewart who is the Victron Community & Online Training Manager, is worth a look if you are trying to understand why Victron is the way it is. It is a bit long but the surprising take ways for me are:
  • Victron has only about 100 employees.
  • There is no internal organization structure - everybody seems to work directly for the CEO.
  • It is viewed internally as predominantly an R&D organization.
  • The new EV charger came about because the Romanian Sales Manager built one himself.
Less surprising is that all manufacturing is outsourced to multiple locations in China, India & Asia.

To me the missing pieces in Victron are the lack of a good Marketing & Sales Support structure that can ensure:
  • quality experience in all the sales channels or at least recognize that resellers are not providing after sales support.
  • improvements in their manuals & how to guides - perhaps country focused.
    For example, one manual will refer to you another manual for details which do not exist or have been deleted, data sheets not being consistent with specifications.
There are probably other pieces that would transform Victron into as great an experience as their products are.

This is a somewhat differently worded version of the same story that you posted on the Victron community forum where you've had input from Victrons CEO, who has stated in public that your issue WILL be resolved - he is very active on that forum and I am positive he will ensure your issue is resolved.

I'm not sure why you have opted to moan here, where their is no Victron representation rather than on their community forum where you have had a positive response from the head honcho.

Victron kit isn't Lego, there is an assumption of some competence, sadly you've experienced a bad box shifter who is simply financially motivated.

This is a somewhat differently worded version of the same story that you posted on the Victron community forum where you've had input from Victrons CEO, who has stated in public that your issue WILL be resolved - he is very active on that forum and I am positive he will ensure your issue is resolved.

I'm not sure why you have opted to moan here, where their is no Victron representation rather than on their community forum where you have had a positive response from the head honcho.

Victron kit isn't Lego, there is an assumption of some competence, sadly you've experienced a bad box shifter who is simply financially motivated.

I see no issue with the OP coming here and telling his story. That's what this forum is all about. I, for one, am not a member of the Victron community forum and never would have read this account.

No one here has the ability to resolve this matter, given that Matthijs V on the community forum took on this issue one single day ago the OPs post seems rather pointless, given that the person most qualified and positioned to be able to resolve this matter now is actively involved (elsewhere) - obviously that's just my opinion.

No one here has the ability to resolve this matter, given that Matthijs V on the community forum took on this issue one single day ago the OPs post seems rather pointless, given that the person most qualified and positioned to be able to resolve this matter now is actively involved (elsewhere) - obviously that's just my opinion.

Once again, this sub-section of the forum is for raising these types issues.

I think you misunderstand the purpose of a "Caution before you buy." Thread. It is not the same as a "Can you help me with this problem?" Thread

Perhaps it is a goad to force Victron to respond to the OP issues but that is a unlikely situation given as you relate that Victron has a community forum.

If you read the title of the thread, there is no mention of seeking resolution here. The post served to inform users here of a rather terrible experience with victron. If he gets resolution, then he will take the post down. Like others have already mentioned, I don’t regularly read the victron forums unless I’m looking for a very specific Victron related answer. I’ve also provided answers there. Anyways, congrats to reading the victron forum and being eagle eyed enough to spot the same story here! We appreciate your service.

Not yet...

But given the rampant growth in this forum, posting this thread alerts a mass of people that may not be aware of problems with victron distributors.

I dont consider it a moaning post.

I consider it a warning is forwarned post...

It is unfortunate that this happened. Especially since someone chose to purchase from a reputable source.

There are good vendors out there. Mine has already warranty replaced one of my purchased items. Granted it was not Victron but I did purchase my Victron components from them and so far so good.

I thought the views and frustrations were fairly well presented considering the level of frustration with the situation. In a similar situation I am not sure how much restraint I would have.

Last edited:
I am also sorry this happened to you and also Thank You for posting about this experience because sadly, there are Bad Players everywhere and we need to be careful. The OP appears to be in Northern Peru, while we may not have a large membership from there, we do have quite a few people from South America and more joining all the time. Therefore I believe it would be in everyone's interest if the Vendor was Named and their info provided in order to help prevent others from being abused by these "characters".
Please do provide Company Name & Location so others can avoid them.

I completely agree - my slight issue with the OPs post is that Victron are being placed as being at fault for this matter, the reality is that it's the xyz vendor that the OP should be urging members to be very cautious about.
Actually Victron could be at fault. They have to police their distributors if they do not handle Warranty issues themselves.

Thank you for posting. When I did my friend's RV solar install, he used all Victron, and I was VERY impressed with the quality and customer service. I went with Epever for my own build, which I've been happy with, but the quality isn't even close to Victron. However, we are in the US, and were able to get in contact with the company directly, not a distributor. I would be very frustrated if I had a similar experience, and would also post in forums to let others know. Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease...

I'm not sure why anyone would fault you for complaining about a plainly bad experience...

I think the OP has a very appropriate post. The only thing missing is the name of the distributor/reseller. Forum members need to know to beware of that company.

Victron needs to know what's going on in their supply chain and bringing this issue into the public eye is necessary. I suspect that if I had a problem with my Victron gear, the U.S. reseller would spend time on the phone with me to resolve it.

Back