diy solar

diy solar

Need help setting up solar/turbine kit

jz fo

Need help setting up solar/turbine kit.
All I have are the pieces shown, any help will greatly be appreciated. Intended use for small tv, kettle etc for off grid caravan.

Attachments

• IMG_20230805_160308.jpg
    IMG_20230805_160308.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20230805_160221.jpg
    IMG_20230805_160221.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20230805_160143.jpg
    IMG_20230805_160143.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20230805_160007.jpg
    IMG_20230805_160007.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20230805_155950.jpg
    IMG_20230805_155950.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20230805_155934.jpg
    IMG_20230805_155934.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20230805_155918.jpg
    IMG_20230805_155918.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 9
I think you've got your batteries in parallel, which would be 12V.
The charge controller says 24V, so need batteries in series.

You seem to have a solar charge controller too. Got panels? Those may be more dependable.

Does the turbine spin freely? If you just connect things as shown and raise it in the air, should get something when the wind blows.
In most cases on land, small wind turbines rarely produce much. There is turbulence from things like trees and houses, which kills airfoil lift.
It needs to be as high above obstacles as possible, maybe with a guyed pipe tower.

You might be able to test operation by carrying it in a vehicle, with the turbine above bumper of a car or elevated above bed of a pickup.
That may actually be more ideal than reality, because on a windless day you could give it turbulence-free air.

Yes I have panels 3rd picture, the turbine works perfectly, I'm in Cornwall England and it's in the middle of a field. Do you have any idea on how to set up the solar panel controller. The details are wrong as I know they've been messed with.

Yes I have panels 3rd picture, the turbine works perfectly, I'm in Cornwall England and it's in the middle of a field. Do you have any idea on how to set up the solar panel controller. The details are wrong as I know they've been messed with.
Do you have the make/model number of the mppt
, can you find the manual online ?

How many solar panels do you have??? Your MPPT may not be big enough for multiple panels

Those Yuasa AGM batteries are great quality, if they are still in good condition should do you well

Also I am concerned. Your wind turbine is for a 24v system , but your inverter looks like a 12v model . If that's the case they are not compatible with each other ....

Details meaning programmed settings? Get a manual or data sheet for the battery and set MPPT SCC according to that.

The MPPT has "Load" terminals for small loads, would enable that depending on battery voltage.
Large loads like the inverter would connect directly to battery (check if it is 12V or 24V inverter, as Sam says.)

You would simply connect MPPT battery terminals to battery first, PV panels second.
Through its menu there may be ways to set voltages for charging battery, according to battery data sheet.

Ideally there would be a fuse at the battery, maybe a fuse for inverter and smaller one for charge controller. Sized greater than maximum current, and protects wires from starting a fire if there is a short. But I have connected an inverter directly to automobile battery, relying on internal fuses.

"Leisure" batteries with automotive style terminals are meant as house batteries for RVs, don't think they give as long life or tolerate as deep cycling as true deep-cycle batteries. But these are AGM, so could be good for the purpose. Can't add water, so must never be charged to higher voltage than intended. It will last longer if not discharged to as low a voltage, and fully recharged as soon as possible. Avoid drawing too much power so PV panels charge to full voltage and charge controller holds that voltage for a couple hours before dropping to "float" voltage.

The inverter says "Modified Sine Wave" or MSW, which is actually Modified Square Wave. Nothing at all to do with sine wave except the waveform has same RMS voltage as 120V (or 220V?) sine wave, delivers same power to resistive load like light bulbs or heaters. Motors can run on it, better for brush-type motors like vacuum than induction motors like refrigerator, but may work. The problem is the steep waveform edges and sharp corners contain lots of power at frequencies much higher than 50 or 60 Hz. That causes extra heating in the iron magnetic core of motors and transformers.

1691763544070.png

Use the inverter for some loads, but if powering things like refrigerator maybe you're better off buying a pure sine wave inverter or all-in one, might get longer life from the appliance.

The higher the turbine is above ground, the better it will work. May function 20 or 30' up, likely smoother and faster wind 60' to 100' up.
Studies of actual wind turbine installations, many brands, found they put out a fraction of the power expected even compared to measured wind speed. Likely due to turbulence. Just like an airplane having a bumpy ride 1000' above a mountain ridge, turbulence kills lift.

Back