diy solar

diy solar

Need help with multiple battery RS485 connections to Solar Assistant

I need a sanity check here, I have 3 EG4 LL V2 batteries, right now I have the RS485 port from the master (ID2) to SA and it's showing status. I am trying to get the other 2 connected with the USB hub method and I'm not having any luck.

I can wire up a USB to RS485 dongle identical to this one supplied by Signature Solar (white\orange and orange wires to + and -) and I can use this cable in place of the cable provided by Signature Solar with no issue, however if I move this cable to another battery it shows BMS communication failure in SA. If I change the battery ID to 2 on that other battery then I can connect.

If I change all 3 batteries to ID2, and I remove the batt comm cables between them, I can connect to any of the 3 with this cable.

But, how do I combine them in SA? They show up as 3 distinct USB serial ports in the dropdown picker, but unlike the Inverter selection I cannot choose more than 1 at a time. Each works independently (as long as ID is 2) but I can't combine them... I've tried 2 different USB hubs (like this) as well.

I even tried wiring 2 cables to a single dongle, connecting the wires, no luck...

20230209_123807.jpg

Ok, nevermind, I am an idiot. I read the SA website detail no less than 3 times, as well as searched here, and somehow it escaped me that every time it mentioned RS45 I was thinking USB. So of course I have USB hubs, and multiple USB cables that I've crimped... None of which I need :(

I now have the correct NETWORK hub (3 of them), as pictured below, on order, so I can wire this like the photo once they arrive.

eg4_top-fd8fb46be209d867f8f401dd02c9babb.png

THIS is the thread that I had started when I was having the same problem with my LL V2's not being seen by SA. As reflected at the end, I DID finally get it resolved (with great help) by running separate cables to a splitter, instead of daisy chaining them.

Ok, nevermind, I am an idiot. I read the SA website detail no less than 3 times, as well as searched here, and somehow it escaped me that every time it mentioned RS45 I was thinking USB. So of course I have USB hubs, and multiple USB cables that I've crimped... None of which I need :(

I now have the correct NETWORK hub (3 of them), as pictured below, on order, so I can wire this like the photo once they arrive.

eg4_top-fd8fb46be209d867f8f401dd02c9babb.png
This is exactly how I did it and it works like a champ. The rs485 splitters are like $12 each from Amazon, for a 6 pack of batteries you will need 3 of them.

Back