diy solar

diy solar

Need lot cleared for solar-- how do I estimate the space?

S610

Bought a wooded lot -- how do I estimate the amount of trees that need to be cleared for optimal sunlight? Lot is flat and located in Arkansas (the Ozarks) if that matters. The panels will be ground mounted.

Is there a calculator of some sort? I don't want to remove more trees than is necessary. Should also mention a general contractor will be clearing the lot so this isn't something I can do myself in "steps", it needs to be figured out before they begin.

The sun will move higher in the summer and lower in the winter.
In the US, this will be between around 35 and 60 degrees. You will want to clear enough area for the 60 degrees. So that the sun is never blocked.

Thanks. The trees are saplings so I guess I should determine their maximum height first. How do I estimate the 60 degrees? Sorry if I sound ignorant but I honestly am. Is there a mathematical formula that is used and if so how would I find it?

I use an app on my phone. It's a level app. But shows how many degrees it is off level.

Also, we are just a month away from the winter solstice. (Shortest day)
When the sun is the lowest. So you could just go there on December 21st and look at what trees are blocking the sun.

Also, we are just a month away from the winter solstice. (Shortest day)
When the sun is the lowest. So you could just go there on December 21st and look at what trees are blocking the sun.
I didn't think it would be that simple. But yeah this is the perfect time of year to figure it out!

If you download Google Earth, not just use the browser version, you can enter your location and map the path of the sun across the property at various points in the year.

It's a neat way to visualize the change in seasons without having a solar meter in hand at the location.

Thanks. The trees are saplings so I guess I should determine their maximum height first. How do I estimate the 60 degrees? Sorry if I sound ignorant but I honestly am. Is there a mathematical formula that is used and if so how would I find it?
Trigonometry.

I used to be good at it in high school.

That was years ago though and now I can't even figure out how to put it in the calculator properly o_O

Depends. What are you building there? An off-grid house, an occasional cabin?
How much power will you need?

There is a tool called a "Solar pathfinder" that would be good for this. Last I saw is they were kind of expensive. so.. maybe find a buddy or 3 interested in solar, and go in together for it.

I assume we are all being facetious. If you lookup a 30/60/90 right triangle. . . 60 is the fat side 30 is the narrow, it's 1 x 2 x whatever (1.75ish?).

Simple to build a twist frame with a carpenter square a reasonably straight 1x2, a drill and a saw. 60 is steep. Cut a 1 foot +1" piece a 2 foot + 1" piece, Drill a holes 1ft and 2ft apart respectively. Attach them with a bolt. Then drill a hole at one end of what's left attach the remaining hole in the 1ft piece and square it. Swing the 2ft piece down and mark the arc on the remaining thru the hole. Drill at the center cut off the excess. Tighten bolts while maintaining the square. Sloppy but effective. You can get happy and notch the edges to remove the twist.

Simple enough to mitre something quick as well, when you cut a "30" the other side is "60", at the longest edge mitre 2 ft 60 and 30 angle inside, mitre 1ft at 60 and 45 inside, mitre the last piece at 45, then just mark it for the 30 cut by squaring up the other pieces.

It's Euclidean geometry not trigonometry. All you really need is string and a straight-edge, a square just makes it easier. Oh I forgot I'm working with electricians and EE's not carpenters! :p

Depends. What are you building there? An off-grid house, an occasional cabin?
How much power will you need?
5Kw system for a 700 sq ft off-grid full time residence. It is actually a 100 year old farmhouse being moved to the back of a 30 acre property where it will be restored.

Any place, date, time of the year. Box for shadow length in meters. (take on) Can use to measure tree height. Probably best to use in summer. Use along with Google Earth Pro.

Right triangle 3x4x5 squaring each number leg leg hypotenuse=9,16,25

The sun will move higher in the summer and lower in the winter.
In the US, this will be between around 35 and 60 degrees. You will want to clear enough area for the 60 degrees. So that the sun is never blocked.

Now is the right time of year to look at this in real life, we are 1 month away from the shortest day

Now is the right time of year to look at this in real life, we are 1 month away from the shortest day
Why summer might be better. Northern hemisphere summer sun moves through a maximum of degrees. If living at Lat 69.69, Nov 22, the sun is only up two hours. Having shadows that stay in the same position all day long doesn't tell much of anything. The summer would allow a more exact location and height of trees. Then the summer information could be extrapolated to winter. Summer information is more granular. It allows for more differentiation between individual trees. Today's winter at Lat69.69 all day long( 2 hours) there would just be a long shadow of a blob of trees. Better triangulation in the summer. Just the way I look at it using suncalc.

I'm still waiting for somebody to try a few separated sheets of aluminum(because shiny) window bug screen, that would homogenize the sun light under certain tree leaf shading.

diy solar

diy solar
Back