diy solar

diy solar

Need Multimeter Choosing Help :-)

Santa

Hello,

This is definitely a beginner tool question. Someone told me to buy a multimeter to test a solar panel. I also want to have all the tools I need to go on the road with my solar. I have seen these 2 different types of meters. I've never used either type & would like to know what exactly they are for and if they serve the same functions. Also, does anyone recommend one online? Do I need to get both types? https://www.harborfreight.com/cm600a-600a-ac-clamp-meter-64013.html and https://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-63759.html Thank you!

Hello,

This is definitely a beginner tool question. Someone told me to buy a multimeter to test a solar panel. I also want to have all the tools I need to go on the road with my solar. I have seen these 2 different types of meters. I've never used either type & would like to know what exactly they are for and if they serve the same functions. Also, does anyone recommend one online? Do I need to get both types? https://www.harborfreight.com/cm600a-600a-ac-clamp-meter-64013.html and https://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-63759.html Thank you!

The first one is an AC clamp meter.
Its primary function is measure current but it works with AC only.
You probably want either a dedicated DC unit or a combo AC/DC.

The second is a cheap multifunction meter.
"This multimeter tests AC voltage, DC voltage, DC current, continuity, resistance, transistor and battery test."

Will has examples of both clamp and multimeter here https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/tools.html

The first one is an AC clamp meter.
Its primary function is measure current but it works with AC only.
You probably want either a dedicated DC unit or a combo AC/DC.

The second is a cheap multifunction meter.
"This multimeter tests AC voltage, DC voltage, DC current, continuity, resistance, transistor and battery test."

Will has examples of both clamp and multimeter here https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/tools.html
Thank you!

Here is one with AC/DC clamp function. I agree that you want both and this one does that.

I have not used the Bluetooth function so no opinions on that part.
Thank you! So that one will do both. Great!! I was wondering if it worked without bluetooth (which I won't be using) so thanks for answering my question. Just to clarify, I can test a solar panel output with this one?

get a ac/dc clamp meter AND a cheap beater.

make sure the cheap one has a beeper for continuity testing. super helpful.

Why would you need two of the same tool?
Maybe you don't need 2. I have a really nice DMM for high precision testing of circuit board level items... I like to keep it nicely packed away so it does not get damaged.
The workhorse is always somewhere on the workbench, ready to use for quick voltage or continuity checks. I can toss it into a toolbag without worry.

I do not have a DC clamp meter (its hard to believe really) so i am eyeing the one posted above for $39.
If I were to buy just one (and i'm talking to you Santa), that clamp version above would be a really nice choice.

What exactly do you mean by cheap beater?

just some cheap, tough meter for daily use.

my "nice" meter is a fluke87 iii that I picked up doing some trading at a pawn shop. it stays in my electronics/soldering kit for the most part.

my "beater meter" is one that apparently belonged to my wife's grandfather, found forlorn in a collection of tools that his kids didn't want.

I used to keep a harbor freight freebie meter in each car, but they arn't very tough and HF hasn't had them for free in a long time.

lookup the youtuber "eevblog" -- he has done MANY meter reviews/shootouts and can give you the technical details that are over my head.

Thank you! So that one will do both. Great!! I was wondering if it worked without bluetooth (which I won't be using) so thanks for answering my question. Just to clarify, I can test a solar panel output with this one?

Yes.

And at that price, with a case included, I wouldn't get a second "beater" one.

Why would you need two of the same tool?? Not understanding...
I like to have several levels of meters for various tasks.
Also, having a backup meter is a good idea.
The AC/DC clamp meter is a good tool, but for testing solar panel function, prior to installing, a cheapo will do fine. That 7.00 harbor freight meter is capable of measuring VOC of the panel, and max amps... simply measuring the voltage at the panel leads with them disconnected from anything will show rated voltage in decent sun. Then switching to amp measure will short the panels through the meter, and show the amps as well. (DONT MEASURE MORE THAN ONE PANEL AT A TIME!)
The AC/DC meter can test amps of a connected string though.

I recently bought the Proster CM6000Pro on Amazon for around $36 . Sold by ProsterUS - great specs and super fast service. The DC current clamp feature is a ‘must’ for solar / RV / batteries & BMS experimentation etc. Also bought the Klein CL380 clamp meter for around $58 . Will be evaluating both soon when they arrive and report. Still using my trusty 20 year old Fluke but it has no DC current clamp facility. Breaking the cct to measure amps is a pain in the butt and dangerous at higher amps - your meter becomes a fast fuse !

I like to have several levels of meters for various tasks.
Also, having a backup meter is a good idea.
The AC/DC clamp meter is a good tool, but for testing solar panel function, prior to installing, a cheapo will do fine. That 7.00 harbor freight meter is capable of measuring VOC of the panel, and max amps... simply measuring the voltage at the panel leads with them disconnected from anything will show rated voltage in decent sun. Then switching to amp measure will short the panels through the meter, and show the amps as well. (DONT MEASURE MORE THAN ONE PANEL AT A TIME!)
The AC/DC meter can test amps of a connected string though.
Thank you. That was helpful!

I recently bought the Proster CM6000Pro on Amazon for around $36 . Sold by ProsterUS - great specs and super fast service. The DC current clamp feature is a ‘must’ for solar / RV / batteries & BMS experimentation etc. Also bought the Klein CL380 clamp meter for around $58 . Will be evaluating both soon when they arrive and report. Still using my trusty 20 year old Fluke but it has no DC current clamp facility. Breaking the cct to measure amps is a pain in the butt and dangerous at higher amps - your meter becomes a fast fuse !
What does breaking the cct mean? Look forward to your reviews, but I try to avoid Amazon.

What does breaking the cct mean? Look forward to your reviews, but I try to avoid Amazon.
To measure current flow the meter must be connected in series with the current carrying conductor. To achieve this you must effectively disconnect one side of the wire , connect it to the meter and the other probe of the meter then goes to where you disconnected the wire. It is also dangerous to measure currents upward of 10 amps using this method as your meter becomes an almost short circuit and can turn electronics into toast by touching the probe in the wrong place. We always use to say that "a transistor is the fastest fuse on legs" and "the transistor is there to protect the fuse".
I would advise that you rather purchase an AC/DC clamp meter for your purpose as it is 'non-invasive' and you will not destroy anything. Be careful though when you buy as not all clamp meters can measure DC current with the clamp.

Back