diy solar

diy solar

Need some advice inverter

skatekr89

Hi everyone, first post here.

I'm setting up my solar and I'm torn on inverter orientation. Option 1 has short battery cables but ac block is facing me, and display is upside down on inverter. Option 2 (shown in pic), i need an extra 18" of cable from bus bar, but ac block is facing the back (thus sorta hidden), and display is right side up. I have kids so I want this as safe as possible and prefer option 2.

Question: to considerably shorten the cable length to inverter, can I connect two legs on the main fuse and shunt? These two will be attached to the battery box which will be secured in place.

positive: battery + > on/off switch > fuse > one to + busbar and one to inverter

negative: shunt load side > one to - busbar and one to inverter.

I'm using 2/0 gauge cable for my battery/inverter which is excessively big for my setup but all I could find so settled for it. This would allow me to use longer cables.

Note: board needs to be cut so I can stick it to side wall and angled portion in the back, there will be a lot more space than it looks in photo.
Also building a wood base so I can properly secure battery and inverter and limit holes on countertop.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20220605_114135.jpg
    20220605_114135.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 13
I'm sorry, I don't think I understand the question. Yes, if the bolt is long enough to stack the lugs and still fit a nut and lock washer.

IME, the inverter and wiring length does not matter so much for those shorter runs. What matters is ampacity. I’m a bit conservative wanting thicker wire and with a 12 volt system I would want 4/0; with a 24 volt system 2/0. There’s a bit of math that you ought to do For ampacity and voltage loss.

Generally voltage loss is so minuscule on those runs that ampacity is more important.

IME, the inverter and wiring length does not matter so much for those shorter runs. What matters is ampacity. I’m a bit conservative wanting thicker wire and with a 12 volt system I would want 4/0; with a 24 volt system 2/0. There’s a bit of math that you ought to do For ampacity and voltage loss.

Generally voltage loss is so minuscule on those runs that ampacity is more important.
I agree.
My 2/0 is rated for 400amps at 50 feet.
Safe to say there should be no issue running an extra foot of cable to have it the way I want.

This is the progress. Next is to finish building the battery. Once done it's time to wire the whole thing into the RV's 12V system so I can have power while finishing the 120v side and transfer switch.

Attachments

• 20220605_200804.jpg
    20220605_200804.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 0
I don’t see any control buttons on the inverter so not a lot to see there anyway.
It looks like you could move the remote monitor from the far left to a better location. Relocate the buss bars under the solar charge controller and mount the inverter there. I would orientate so convection works in the same direction as the fans.
Then you could have a removable panel a few inches in front of everything and use the rest of the storage.

My 2/0 is rated for 400amps at 50 feet.

That’s 25 feet round trip.
But you’re only a few feet?
So technically you’re fine.

What would I do? If you know you’ll never go over 2000W I might stay with 2/0 welding cable. If any upgrade is envisioned I’d use 4/0. I used 2/0 on my 1200W. But it’s fine on the 2000W Reliable I have.

Back