diy solar

diy solar

Need to configure inverter for BMS?

good sydus

Hey everyone! Long-time follower, first time poster.

I'm planning on building my first solar setup for an RV soon. I'm buying a Victron inverter and a 24v Big Battery Hawk. I've spent a ton of time learning how everything is supposed to work, but the BMS/Inverter communication still confuses me. How do the inverter and BMS communicate with each other? Will I need to program the inverter to stay within the battery's parameters? Isn't this the job of the BMS?

The battery BMS must be specifically designed to communicate with the Victron inverter (almost 100% certain it isn't). In most if not all cases, those BMS would be designed to communicate with the Victron ecosystem through the CAN Bus of a Victron GX device.

It is possible to program the inverter to respond to an external signal that either opens or closes a circuit to signal the inverter, but that is likely not supported by the battery.

In the absence of direct communication, you simply set your inverter LVD to something above the BMS cut-off, i.e., 2.5V/cell or higher.

Thank you for clarifying this! I will make sure to set the LVD above the cutoff, and won't worry about battery/inverter communication.

Thank you for clarifying this! I will make sure to set the LVD above the cutoff, and won't worry about battery/inverter communication.
Which bms do you have?
Please link to a product description.

Which bms do you have?
Please link to a product description.
It will be the bms in the big battery 24v hawk. I just checked the technical specs to try to figure out which bms it is, and it specifically says it does not have the ability to network with other components.

Back