diy solar

diy solar

Need to upgrade help!

Barridge

Hello guys and gals, I currently have a Victron 150/70 charge controller. With 6 - 150A panels connected in a series (2S3P)
My charge controller can handle up to 2000W @ 24V (but battery bank is 12V). I would to purchase 6 new panels.
I am looking for suggestions on what 6 panels I can get, that can handle charging of my new 4 - SOK 12V 280Ah lithium iron phosphate batteries
with my charge controller?
I started second guessing myself when I remembered my battery bank is 12V.......

Thanks for your help!!!

Hello guys and gals, I currently have a Victron 150/70 charge controller. With 6 - 150A panels connected in a series (2S3P)
My charge controller can handle up to 2000W @ 24V (but battery bank is 12V). I would to purchase 6 new panels.
I am looking for suggestions on what 6 panels I can get, that can handle charging of my new 4 - SOK 12V 280Ah lithium iron phosphate batteries
with my charge controller?
I started second guessing myself when I remembered my battery bank is 12V.......

Thanks for your help!!!

Can you just hook up 2 of those batteries in series for a 24volt battery?

6 additional panels or 6 new and get rid of old?

70 amps is 840w ÷ 6 = 140w panels --- your cc is already maxed out for 12V. No reason to get new panels if this is the case.

Time to go 24v or buy another charge controller if you wish to grow

Buy another victron MPPT, the 150/70 can handle 1000watts ish on a 12v system. This gives you flexibility to pick panels that do not need to match up with your existing ones. To add 6 panels to the existing system would require jumping to a bigger MPPT to get full charing output.

70 amps is 840w ÷ 6 = 140w panels --- your cc is already maxed out for 12V. No reason to get new panels if this is the case.

I was planning to go fully 24V in the future. My panels are currently hooked up at 24V, but the batteries are not because of my inverter. I did see the CC could handle 2000W. But I'm am not sure if that means my panels at 24V or the batteries??
If its the batteries, maybe I can move up to a 24V inverter.

Buy another victron MPPT, the 150/70 can handle 1000watts ish on a 12v system. This gives you flexibility to pick panels that do not need to match up with your existing ones. To add 6 panels to the existing system would require jumping to a bigger MPPT to get full charing output.
I am not going to add panels. I'm going to use the old ones for a different project. I would rather buy a 24V inverter if that would help? And go 24V for the whole system.

its rated on the battery end, 1000 watts for 12v battery, 2000 watts on 24v batteries and 4000 watts for 48 volt batteries.

You could run more than 1000 watts into it with a 12 volt system if you do not exceed the 50 amp short circuit current on the solar input, but will only every get 70 amps out of it to the batteries.

How are you panels mounted? That will help decide if you want to buy 6 new 200-250 watt panels.

its rated on the battery end, 1000 watts for 12v battery, 2000 watts on 24v batteries and 4000 watts for 48 volt batteries.

You could run more than 1000 watts into it with a 12 volt system if you do not exceed the 50 amp short circuit current on the solar input, but will only every get 70 amps out of it to the batteries.
I will invest in a 24V inverter now. Then I can go to 2000W? Hook all 4 batteries in series to 24V. Keep the panels at 24V that way I can keep the amps down.
Do you think that should open me up to more options for larger panels?

Your charge controller can handle 150 volts in. Look for the Voc rating on the panels and series accordingly.

The batteries will be 2P2S to get 24v , not all in series.

Post a picture of your panel data tag if you need help with how to string them. Its all about open circuit voltage and watts. Let the mppt worry about the 24v part.

Do you have a mount you are trying to use? Need measurements to know if you can go bigger on the panels

How are you panels mounted? That will help decide if you want to buy 6 new 200-250 watt panels.
I have 6 - 150A panels connected in a series (2S3P).

6 New panels or more if I can. I'll send pics of my current solar array.

The 2 panels to the right go to my solar freezer. They will be moved to a different location. The 6 panels to the right I am currently using. But I would like to replace them with more power. I really hate to replace the CC. But I am willing to get another inverter.
Oh, The solar stand the panels are currently on is 16' long.

These are the panels I was going to get until I remembered my 12V battery configuration.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-08 11.38.10 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-08 11.38.10 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
If adding to your current charge controller youll want to get the same panels you have, (if still available), dont mix strings of different panels to 1 charge controller.
-Your current charge controller could take 6 more of your current panels as long as your batteries are set up 24v.

You may just want to use watts as your target. Your current panels are 150W so you have 900watts and you want 900 more.
Nowadays you could do this with 2 panels.
I.E. a pair of Canadian solar 450w on their own charge controller...

Personally id see what i could get my hands on for panels. Only needing a couple, you can probably find some on marketplace or Craigslist easy enough.
Then , knowing you are buying an inverter too, you are stepping right into AIO inverter territory. Get a Midnite DIY3024 and hook your new panels to it. The mppt is built in. Current panels can stay with current charge controller and youre done.

I see, yes that would be an option. Thank you!
Also, the panels I was looking at above, are 300W. 6 would give me 1800W. With a new 24V inverter and my new 4 - SOK 12V 280Ah lithium Batt. should work also?? Am I correct?

Youll have to do some research, for an alternative AIO inverter if going that route. The Midnite 3024 is limited to 1400w to its mppt

Also, there are much better panel choices than what you found there. Any reason you are considering that one?

Also, there are much better panel choices than what you found there. Any reason you are considering that one?
This is worth reading, i think it might help you.

Back