diy solar

Need to upgrade help!

The Midnite 3024 is limited to 1400w to its mppt
Max PV Input/Output Power: 1700W
Max PV Charging Current: 140A
Max PV Input Voltage: 100V
Algorithm: MPPT
MPPT Voltage Range: 30 - 100V

The batteries will be 2P2S to get 24v , not all in series.
Why 2P2S and not 2S2P? Mostly curious as to why you chose this.

Also, there are much better panel choices than what you found there. Any reason you are considering that one?
Agreed. To make an 1800W array from 6 of those, with the 100V MN3024, it would require 3S2P. 2P would be over 30A which exceeds the MC4 connector and standard 10AWG wiring limits.

@Barridge where are you located? Maybe someone can suggest panels in your area.

Max PV Input/Output Power: 1700W
Max PV Charging Current: 140A
Max PV Input Voltage: 100V
Algorithm: MPPT
MPPT Voltage Range: 30 - 100V

Why 2P2S and not 2S2P? Mostly curious as to why you chose this.
I read 1400watts, maybe my information is bad.
Screenshot_20240208_134531.jpg

Sorry I got dyslexic on the 2S2P. I got worried when the op mentioned "Hook all 4 batteries in series to 24V."

Also, there are much better panel choices than what you found there. Any reason you are considering that one?
I was considering those panels because they were 300w but also 18.2V. Inexpensive and a smaller foot print than the setup I have now.
The link you sent me below is helpful thank you!

Agreed. To make an 1800W array from 6 of those, with the 100V MN3024, it would require 3S2P. 2P would be over 30A which exceeds the MC4 connector and standard 10AWG wiring limits.

@Barridge where are you located? Maybe someone can suggest panels in your area.
I am located in upstate NY.

Well I bought a Victron
MultiPlus-II 24/3000/70-50 120V (UL) to move forward with my project.
So that leads me to what could be the dumbest question of all. Will this fuse work between my 24v inverter and my battery bank?
4 - SOK 12v 280amp batteries? I have used it in 12v applications before.

Attachments

• Fuse.jpeg
    Fuse.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 2
Well I bought a Victron
MultiPlus-II 24/3000/70-50 120V (UL) to move forward with my project.
So that leads me to what could be the dumbest question of all. Will this fuse work between my 24v inverter and my battery bank?
4 - SOK 12v 280amp batteries? I have used it in 12v applications before.
From the victron manual...
Screenshot_20240209-153449_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
That fuse is for AC and only 100 amps.

Personally I'd get a Blue Sea ANL fuse holder and a 300A fuse per the manual

From the victron manual...
The key part of that is that the fuse protects the wire. If you follow Victrons wire sizing, i you follow the Victron manual for the wire size, i'd expect/hope that the fuse size matched it. The length of the wire is a factor too for both if unusually long.

The key part of that is that the fuse protects the wire. If you follow Victrons wire sizing, i you follow the Victron manual for the wire size, i'd expect/hope that the fuse size matched it. The length of the wire is a factor too for both if unusually long.
Thank you Mister Sandals for bringing that to my attention. I was planning on using 2 gauge wire but I will follow Victrons wiring size.

Thank you Mister Sandals for bringing that to my attention. I was planning on using 2 gauge wire but I will follow Victrons wiring size.
The Victrons have a large surge capability beyond in this case it's 3000VA rating. That's why it's suggesting a 300A fuse and 50mm2 wiring.

I was planning on using 2 gauge wire
If you have the wire and want to use it, its good to 120A so a 150A fuse is about right.

I did not see your expected power needs. If they are lower than the theoretical inverter limits, its fine to wire and fuse for your use case. If your usage exceed your wiring and fuse rating, you will get nuisance fuse blows (a good thing). From there you can live with that, upgrade your wiring and fusing or change your usage.
Just make sure the fuse protects the wire.
DC_wire_selection_chartlg.jpg

If you have the wire and want to use it, its good to 120A so a 150A fuse is about right.

I did not see your expected power needs. If they are lower than the theoretical inverter limits, its fine to wire and fuse for your use case. If your usage exceed your wiring and fuse rating, you will get nuisance fuse blows (a good thing). From there you can live with that, upgrade your wiring and fusing or change your usage.
Just make sure the fuse protects the wire.
View attachment 194597
Thank you Mister Sandals for your help. I have light usage here except when I run my vacuum cleaner once a year! Lol
And I am going to upgrade the fusing.

Thank you guys for all your help! But now that I'm going to get a new inverter
(Victron
MultiPlus-II 24/3000/70-50 120V) with it's own charger, what type of wire is best to use from my portable generator (3500) to the charger (I believe a 70a)?

Thank you guys for all your help! But now that I'm going to get a new inverter
(Victron
MultiPlus-II 24/3000/70-50 120V) with it's own charger, what type of wire is best to use from my portable generator (3500) to the charger (I believe a 70a)?
70a is the (dc) charger current back to batteries.

Maybe I am missing something here, but i dont see why youd run 6ga from a 3500w generator??

Generator to the inverter (ac) could probably be 10ga. Assuming your 3500 generator has an L5-30 outlet (30A). Most gen cords are going to be 10ga as well.

Back