diy solar

diy solar

NEM2 self-install approved, what now?

rezin

I did a last minute NEM2 interconnect application to PG&E in April, and got approved a couple weeks ago. I started looking into doing it all DYI, but now I got a decent offer from an installer to do it for me. However, that company uses different equipment (I had micro-inverters, and the inverters limited the system output), whereas the installer builds DC systems with a central inverter.
When I was reading into the NEM2 applications I saw a statement from PG&E (maybe in a PG&E workshop on YouTube) that it is ok if the actual system will be different, as long as the power output is the same or close, and it interconnects to PG&E in the same place. And there was also a statement that it is ok to self-submit, but then change to a contractor.
However, I am extremely nervous that the contractor will build something that will qualify as a major difference and make me lose NEM2. That would be really bad news. Anyone has experience in what needs to match, and how closely? There are multiple power ratings, of the panels, the inverters, and the system size I entered at the beginning of the application.

Here are (some of) the numbers from my application:
System size (what I had entered): 5.9 kW
Inverters (18 micro-inverters): 5.22 kW
PV (18 panels): 5.934 kW (Total Gen is listed as 6.118 kW)

And here are the numbers from the contractor (inverter and panel datasheets):
Inverter E6-TL-US, max output power 6kVA
PV JAM54S31-395/MR, rated max 17x395W=6.715kW

What makes me nervous is that my system was limited to 5.22kW by the micro-inverters, whereas the contractor's setup is limited to 6kW by the central inverter. That is an increase of 15%. I believe the inverter has the capability to limit power output, would PG&E accept it if I pinkie promised that I would limit to 5.22kW?

PG&E did send out an e-mail essentially stating that they are overloaded with people calling about the NEM2 application and that I will be fine as long as I build the system exactly as stated in the application... well, what if I don't, how far can I deviate? And can I submit to them the changes to check before installing it? Has anyone here already gone through this?

Last edited:
Back