diy solar

diy solar

San Jose CA inspection question

Radix

I could very well be incorrect on all my assumptions, so any clarification is appreciated.
I had submitted my NEM2 and solar permits to the city and PGE before NEM2 cutoff date.
Mostly to try to be grandfathered into NEM 2 while still trying get money and things lined up for the DIY install . End of 2023 and ready to get started, but the panels I filed permit and PGE NEM2 are hard or not available an only newer models available, plus I am able to get other panels cheaper with same output.
I remember the PGE site mentioned that if any changes are made to submitted documents, the process would need to be restarted, which would mean no chance for NEM2 grandfathering.

If I change the solar panels type and brand, are the panel brand really checked during the city or PGE inspection of Installation or is it possible they won’t care or notice the panels are a different brand?

Trying to avoid having to re submit with PGE, the city said they don’t archive the document submitted and I could just upload new documents to the online portal, so my only real concern is PGE.

Thank you.

I also had the same problem. I changed the solar panel size, brand and number of panels, increasing pv system kw size two times, and removed the AC Disconnect from the original NEM 2 application. In my situation PGE said as long as the inverter nameplate rating of 5kw remained per the original submitted application then the panel and pv system size changes would not effect NEM 2 status. You can email NEM 2 PGE engineering, I think the email is nemfollowups@pge.com, with your Application info and explain to them the situation. Or call the PGE Solar Support number first. Everyone was very helpful. The emailing did take some time and was confusing at times and I did have to resubmit the NEM 2 application.

Thank you, I’ll contact them. Glad to hear PGE is very helpful, the city sends cryptic replies and takes time to decipher, probably mostly to cover themselves in case someone can get in trouble for saying something they shouldn’t to help the home owner.

Back