diy solar

diy solar

Netflix Users going Ballistic over account sharing clamp down.

robby

Photon Vampire
I kind of found it humerus reading the hundreds of post on Reddit about the Netflix Password sharing clamp down that went into effect in the USA on the 24 May.
While I don't agree with the way Netflix went about doing this, I think they could have allowed two IP's, like for home and work or Home and Vacation home etc. Without the 30 day must connect to home BS.
None the less I just cannot help but laugh at all of the people saying that they are going to cancel and that Netflix will soon crash due to the loses and be forced to reverse course.
Yeah sure! I am pretty certain that 90% of them saying that will be opening a new account as soon as the Next big show hits Netflix. Plus 90% of them are mooching accounts so Netflix loses nothing if they stay off the platform.

My personal experience years ago with sharing my password with one of my Sons in college was that I gave him the Password to use and then one day, months later out of curiosity I entered into his profile and looked at his continue watching list and noticed dozens of unfinished shows. I called him and asked him what was up, as some of the titles did not fit his taste in shows. With that he finally he told me that he had shared the password with two of his friends but told them only to use his profile. I then asked him "So how many people did your two friends share it with?" I got no direct answer so I just told him I am changing the password, use your own money and get your own account. I was really miffed thinking that probably a dozen strangers were going through looking at my wife and myself personal playlist.

My second experience was reading posts from people boasting about having their whole extended family plus several friends all using one account.
Netflix promoted password sharing but like everything else, this is why we cannot have nice things to play with. We abuse the system until it gets taken away from us.

Last edited:
I don't keep any of them for very long.

I start a streaming service .... watch all the good stuff and cancel it again .... on to the next. There's getting to be too many of them ... each with only a few good things.

I don't keep any of them for very long.

I start a streaming service .... watch all the good stuff and cancel it again .... on to the next. There's getting to be too many of them ... each with only a few good things.
Yeah I have heard a lot of people saying that is what they are doing. It kind of makes sense to do that if you can deal with the waiting game until enough new things build up.

We do not watch television in our house. We do occasionally put a movie or something on a USB drive, but other than that, the television gets about 1 hour of use per week on average.

We used to watch TV a lot back in the 90's and early 2000's, but we cut that out sometime around 2008.. and I can not imagine going back to staring at the screen again.

Yeah well it's Reddit.

That website is a bastion foe people who are appalled that they would ever have to pay for anything ever.

Yeah well it's Reddit.

That website is a bastion foe people who are appalled that they would ever have to pay for anything ever.
True but I have found it to be a really good source of info on a vast range of subjects.

Yes you can just reconnect to the home IP and watch a movie every 30 days and it passes the traveling criteria.
I can see both sides of this argument, but the real problem is that people just got greedy and started to share accounts with to many people.

If your Netflix you know things are really bad when even Hollywood starts making fun of you :ROFLMAO:

Yes you can just reconnect to the home IP and watch a movie every 30 days and it passes the traveling criteria.
I can see both sides of this argument, but the real problem is that people just got greedy and started to share accounts with to many people.

If your Netflix you know things are really bad when even Hollywood starts making fun of you :ROFLMAO:
I understand the reasons for Netflix doing what they are doing, but there are too many ways to circumvent any restrictions they might try to impose.

Before I had Netflix, friends and I would share DVD's. (sneakernet) After moving to another place, I though that Netflix had plenty of what I wanted to watch and I thought that paying 8 - 20 dollars a month for tv was a fair price. Years later I now get a subscription for a month or two, watch what is available and switch to another one. The way things are going now with too many services with too little "free" content (that I want to watch) as part of the subscription continues, well there are ways around that as well...

Companies, like customers are trying to push the boundaries, it is how capitalism is supposed to work. What does annoy me is that those companies, who pay little tax themselves, will use the state resources to punish those who break their rules. Luckily we still have a good library in town with a good selection of books and DVD's and I will be donating some money again this Christmas.

In the 80's we paid $3.50 a movie for vhs tapes.

The people complaining are li'l bish's.
Hourly wage in the US in the 80's was less than that, sharing the tape with 10 or more people made that under 6 minutes of work. Average wage in the US these days is about US$28 an hour, while netflix premium seems to be US$20 a month. This does seem like it would would be a fair price, if you got all or most of the content you were interested in.

And for what it is worth, I am not complaining, I simply got rid of netflix.

Hourly wage in the US in the 80's was less than that, sharing the tape with 10 or more people made that under 6 minutes of work. Average wage in the US these days is about US$28 an hour, while netflix premium seems to be US$20 a month. This does seem like it would would be a fair price, if you got all or most of the content you were interested in.
Those where the good old days. We use to buy or get copies of movies on VHS tape and then had a sharing system with Family and Friends. We all had written down lists of what we had in total and who owned what and then a list of Movies that people wanted.
Everyone would purchase a couple of movies every month and then share them after they finished watching them.
It was fun going to a neighbors house and dropping off a Movie and getting a new one in return, it made Sunday nights a real family affair.
To the younger generation this will seem really crazy because today everything can be obtained almost instantly if your willing to pay for it. It's kind of sad that so many little things that use to keep us bonded have now been made obsolete by the Internet and other conveniences.

And for what it is worth, I am not complaining, I simply got rid of netflix.
I find Netflix to be the best value for money out of all of the services.

Those where the good old days. We use to buy or get copies of movies on VHS tape and then had a sharing system with Family and Friends. We all had written down lists of what we had in total and who owned what and then a list of Movies that people wanted.
Everyone would purchase a couple of movies every month and then share them after they finished watching them.
It was fun going to a neighbors house and dropping off a Movie and getting a new one in return, it made Sunday nights a real family affair.
To the younger generation this will seem really crazy because today everything can be obtained almost instantly if your willing to pay for it. It's kind of sad that so many little things that use to keep us bonded have now been made obsolete by the Internet and other conveniences.

I find Netflix to be the best value for money out of all of the services.
Tv use to be free Advertisers paid for all of it. Now advertisers and US both pay

Tv use to be free Advertisers paid for all of it. Now advertisers and US both pay
I have never really understood why the cable and satellite companies get away with double dipping the customers when it comes to Network TV.
Those channels should be free!

I have never really understood why the cable and satellite companies get away with double dipping the customers when it comes to Network TV.
Those channels should be free!
There was a time long ago when netflix was so desperate they allowed ppl to share their accounts even promoted sharing. Before that Netflix use to make promises to never go up on price if signed a contract. They lied so I cancelled them. Think it was ~$5 a month way back then. I have not had netflix since …. Except when they offered free trials and would always cancel before free trial ran out..

i think Netflix allowed and promoted up to 3 or so family shares but been a while since had Netflix. Funny that they want to take it back now.

I liked Sling before they doubled the pricing. ? Greed.

There was a time when Youtube did not have advertising interrupting videos….. then they starting putting videos in. Then youtube offered ad free paid services. The youtube changed to limited paid service with some select ads. It is how youtube pays monetary channels for content vs viewer hits likes and subscriptions.… to various youtube channels. Some of the early monetary YouTubers channel - operators got wealthy.

I think one YouTuber in recent article got ~$54 million a year from youtube.

This is what a chinese guitar company offered ppl to show - demo their products on Tiktok No doubt free products SOME OF WHICH ARE CHERRY PICKED FOR BEST QUALITY are given to the ppl doing channel demos which turn around and offer those free demo items as incentives to “like and subscribe.”

Imagine getting paid for having fun = cutting batteries apart…. To review. Why so many ppl have product demo channels on youtube and or other platforms now. Several of those ppl are on these forums. Just modern way of making money. Ever notice youtube does not give viewers option to block channels and then if you leave youtube running it will go to their pushed content which is completely unrelated to initial video…… I watched a video for a guitar review and left it running and it did basic channel steering afterwords to some goofey guy that buys cars that have been sitting for years and drives them home from hundreds of miles away. I can’t stand that “vice grip garage” video guy. Nor Scotty Kilmer another auto channel on youtube. No way to block them. Both started showing up randomly if left on. So if watch youtube video now will just turn it completely off when done. The AI at youtube use to keep us in a particular like type video for auto mode…., now it steers ppl away….. often times to unrelated content do not want to watch. Over and Over. Click - turned off…. I stopped subscribing or liking youtube content because doesn't matter.- youtube ai steers away. They FIXED IT to do that. Google does the same thing for steering with web searches… to buy purchase things.
I will never pay for youtube content. Especially since youtube also Censors Controls and Steers ppl so heavily. I’ve repeatedly asked for option to block some YouTubers content to no avail. Option denied.
The budweiser tranny on tiktok is rather wealthy now. Certainly did not subscribe to it. Nor want to watch the gay content.
same for Twitter stars - steering.

Edit added this is expired now:
IMG_2825.png

This problem is easily solved if you are a network engineer :)
I run private VPN server which allows connection and pass through to the internet from a designated, permanent single IP :)

This problem is easily solved if you are a network engineer :)
I run private VPN server which allows connection and pass through to the internet from a designated, permanent single IP :)
Yes but how many people have the BW to deal with multiple 4K data streams?
A 2 Gbs symmetrical connection would make it easy.

Yes but how many people have the BW to deal with multiple 4K data streams?
The govt was proposing to make vpn illegal if when banned tiktok according to sources that were privy to what is actually in the bills. Nancy Pelosi screwed us when she started her crap of “you got to pass it to see what is in it.” That is words of a tyrant

it is suppose to be made public so ppl can contact their reps and express nay or yea…. Then reps are suppose to represent us. That is gone.

The govt was proposing to make vpn illegal if when banned tiktok according to sources that were privy to what is actually in the bills. Nancy Pelosi screwed us when she started her crap of “you got to pass it to see what is in it.” That is words of a tyrant

it is suppose to be made public so ppl can contact their reps and express nay or yea…. Then reps are suppose to represent us. That is gone.
Please lets keep politics out of it so the thread does not get locked.

Please lets keep politics out of it so the thread does not get locked.
Why would the thread get locked? The is the chit chat Forum.

Ever stop and think they - govt netflix cable youtube want tiktok gone because it is free?

aenyc brought up vpn and you responded to him.
The vpn being controlled or outlawed in TikTok proposed laws is therefore significant. I consider some tiktok short humor but mostly stupid stuff. Again Who really wants it gone? Politicians or ppl like google - youtube or netflix. If it gets ppl to spend there time there at tiktok instead of watching netflix then it hurts their business. No?

A while back cable company was buying up over the air local pbs channels and shutting them down. Ppl had to petition the govt to stop that crap. If the cable company had got their way ppl would have been forced get cable…. Or satelite.

Maybe you missed it but Netflix is political and lawsuit based ….. Right? They are court case claiming password sharing as sources of their losses. As well as other streaming services.

You are right this is your post and I will back out now. Good luck
IMG_2834.jpeg

Back