diy solar

diy solar

New and asking a few questions about a possible setup.

Discharged

Greetings,

I came across this forum when I started to research solar panel setup and solar generators. It seems that this is the place to go to ask questions and show off what you have (maybe me one day). I have become informed on a lot of things about solar power searching this forum but would like the wise people of this forums input.

I am trying to put together a solar power setup for my house. Trying to leave it on the transportable side as I live in a city and do not want to bring attention where I don't want to. I would use the solar power setup to charge one refrigerator, a freezer on a timer (probably every two-three hour intervals) and power batteries for fans, lights and cell phones. If I am using this setup, I am thinking that SHTF has happened and only want to power the bare necessities.

I know that I can buy the parts and create a solar setup cheaper than purchasing a solar generator but as of right now, I am looking for near future instead of down the road.

I have my eyes on the Bluetti AC200P (a good deal right now) setup with an extra power bank of scooter batteries, Jehu Garcia style (yes, I know just make a power bank wall out of scooter batteries instead). Again, time, how easily I can put it together and how easily I can move it.

A few questions if I go this route, unless someone convinces me otherwise:

1. I am thinking of going with Renogy 200 watt suitcase panels as they are smaller than the Bluetti for the same amount of watts. My only concern is that the suitcase panels are OOC of 10.5 amps with SCC of 11.7amps which is close to Bluetti max 12 charging amps. The Renogy has a 20amp fuse on them but should I protect the Bluetti side as well?

2. I would put the panels in Series (3S) so they can build enough power to charge the Bluetti, figured that out from the forums (thank you). I would like to disconnect the extra power bank in the morning to charge it as well. Would another set of three suitcase panels work to charge the power bank separately using a scooter charger or charge the bank using the Bluetti with the charger plugged in to it? I know, I would have to get an inverter if using solar panels directly to charge the power bank.

If there is anything I over looked or need a better understanding of, please let me know.

I appreciate everyone's input.

Thank you,
Dischaged

Last edited:
If you wire the panels in series then you are unlikely to exceed any input amp limits of the solar charge controller. However, you might exceed the Max PV Input Voltage of the solar charge controller.

Please provide the full specifications for the devices you plan to use. Or, provide a link to the specification page.

If you wire the panels in series then you are unlikely to exceed any input amp limits of the solar charge controller. However, you might exceed the Max PV Input Voltage of the solar charge controller.

Please provide the full specifications for the devices you plan to use. Or, provide a link to the specification page.

I thought more about what you said, the MAX PV Input is a concern and do not want to cause possible damage to the Bluetti.

With that being said, I saw that Rich has 24volt 200watt solar panels (if I can find them), which are a little more permanent but will give me the lower amps and 120 volts if I go with 5 in series. Max PV input is 5.36 amp per panel

The Extra Battery setup for the Bluetti, I thought Jehu Garcia had a great idea, in theory. But now, doing more research and calculations, it seems to be just that, a theory. Or in Jehu Garcia's mind, a way to get more people to buy his products. As I eluded to in the "Charging AC200P Bluetti with batteries" post, you can't use the Bluetti to charge the extra batteries. (rob Peter to pay Paul). For a fast charge of the scooter batteries, I would need a fast charger. Watching Jehu Garcia's video using the fast charger with the Bluetti, the charger pulled 1420 watts.

To charge the extra batteries, not using the Bluetti would mean I would need at least a 2000 watt inverter, (probably 24v if using the Rich panels). Probably an extra 300ah set of batteries to take on the 170amps of load if the charger takes 6 hours to fully charge the scooter batteries. A charge controller, not sure of correct amps on that. And lastly, doing the calculation on Batterystuff.com, I would need another 15 solar panels. Not feasible with what I want.

Here are the specs that I figured if I charged the extra battery seperately from the Bluetti (correct me if I made a mistake):

Fast Charger: 120v 11.8amp 1420watts (running about 6 hours)
2000 watt Inverter: if 24v: 362 dc amps; if 12v: 724 dc amps
Battery: 2 300ah in series for 24v and 5 300ah in series for 12v
Solar Panel array if 200watt: 16 panels in 8s2p setup using 24v circuit; 15 panels in 15s1p setup using 12v circuit

And for context, the info above is plugging in on Batterystuff.com calculators.

I guess, back to the drawing board on the extra battery part.

Last edited:
Back