diy solar

diy solar

New back up system

rmosborn

Good day.
I am very green to solar but found a good deal on used panels where out put was as the tag stated.
I have just purchased 8 - 315 Watt Mono solar panels 24 volt out put. My goal was to create a back up power system. Panels, charge controller, battery bank and a 240 volt AC inverter. I need the 240 volt for a well pump. I am looking for component suggestions. My objective is to mount this on a 8 X 12 trailer that I can tow around with my side by side and power shop, house and even haul to a neighbors house if needed.
Thanks now for any suggestions.

What is the locked rotor current or "inrush" current of the well pump? These things can be massive. My neighbor's 3hp Grundfos has a surge of 60A @ 240V - that's 14.4kW of surge to start it. Critical that the inverter can handle this surge - essentially requires a beefy, heavy low frequency inverter.

Please provide panel data:
Voc
Vmp
Isc
Imp

Thanks for the help

310 W
Open - Circuit 39.61
Voltage at Pmax 32.64
Short - Circuit Current 9.98
Current at Pmax 9.44
Max System Voltage 1000
Fuse rating 20

I believe the Well Pump is only 1.5 HP it is only about 150 foot well

I will see if I can get the values off the pump tonight.

What is the locked rotor current or "inrush" current of the well pump? These things can be massive. My neighbor's 3hp Grundfos has a surge of 60A @ 240V - that's 14.4kW of surge to start it. Critical that the inverter can handle this surge - essentially requires a beefy, heavy low frequency inverter.

Please provide panel data:
Voc
Vmp
Isc
Imp
I ran the pump with a 30 Amp generator when the power went out with no problem if that helps

1.5 HP could be 2000W. Surge about 10,000W.
30A 240V generator is about 7500W? Of course no problem for surge. It has spinning mass as energy reserve.
A good 5000W inverter would do it; a bad 5000W inverter would not.

A soft-start circuit might reduce power needed to start the pump.
Some pumps (especially some from Grundfos) are 3-phase motors with VFD, which might have no surge at all so much lower wattage inverter could work with them.

One of those DC Solar trailers would be fantastic. Your panels could be added, probably don't even need another charge controller beyond the Midnight included with the trailer (they only have about 2400W array)

I think configuration B doesn't have a generator, only solar and batteries. Those lights on the trailers are pretty awesome. 120 watt Cree lights, over 10,000 lumens. They are 48V DC lights.

Value is in the inverters and forklift batteries. Diesel generator too, for the units which include it.
Some batteries have been bad, others apparently still good. If maintained, should provide 15 years service.

FLA have some preferred charge rate, I think 0.13C
The PV which comes with the trailer is insufficient. Generator or grid could provide proper charging, or upgrade PV with more panels
My preferred configuration is with AC coupling, e.g. Sunny Boy GT inverters. That lets you program a flat charge current (ceiling or upper limit) rather than varying with amount of sun.
The pictures above show Sunny Island inverters exposed to the weather. These models are meant for indoor use, are not waterproof at the circuit breaker and SD card, so need at least a roof added over them.

The light tower would cast a shadow across the PV panels.

Back