diy solar

diy solar

New BMS from IC GOGOGO Store / E&J Technology Group

As in the previous post.. it arrived!!!

Safely wrapped box, and inside the box again wrapped.
IMG_20200327_154852_copy_750x562.jpg

IMG_20200327_154942_copy_750x1000.jpg

The BMS have 2 * 2 size AWG7 (or 7AWG?) Cables.
Amazing Flexible! And feel like silicone outside.

First impression:
Quality.
This thing breathing quality.
The outside is made of strong iron, with coating. Not a simple paint job.
And made only for this BMS.

The cables are LONG!!
Long enough to do a chain of 8 cells on the long end!

It have 2 temperature sensors.

Some pictures:

IMG_20200327_155009_copy_750x1000.jpg

IMG_20200327_155018_copy_750x1000.jpg

IMG_20200327_155039_copy_750x562.jpg

IMG_20200327_155143_copy_750x562.jpg

IMG_20200327_163512_copy_750x562.jpg

Sadly I don't have a crimping tool for this size, but a hamer and after that a nail makes a rock solid connection.

IMG_20200327_163556_copy_750x1000.jpg

I do have the tool for this type :)

After all set-up, I measure the connections, to find a few did not make good connection.

I don't know what went wrong, the way I make the small crimping "never" goes wrong... (Untill today)
One thing that I did do different is a new tool to strip the cable.
That might be too aggressive for this thin cable and make it break.

After that, I stopped, time do do different things like sleeping..
( Was 21.00)
Now 03.55... still not sleeping
I guess I better could have finished it..

Lol

Keep you posted tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_20200327_154852_copy_750x562.jpg
    IMG_20200327_154852_copy_750x562.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20200327_155143_copy_750x562.jpg
    IMG_20200327_155143_copy_750x562.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 6
Download of the manual.

In the manual is a QR code that brings you to this page:
Screenshot_20200328_090311_com.android.chrome.jpg

Attachments

• smart active bms jk in Enlgish (1).pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 30
Ok...

That where a few existing hours, but it works!!!

And, it looks quite good!!

But start at the start.
The manual is (like almost always with new product) incomplete.

For starters..
The minimum voltage difference between the battery array and the charger to start the BMS (only needed to do one time, at start) needs to be 5 volt (!!)

With my batteries at 53.5 and my MPPT inverter charger already set to careful settings of 56.5 for bulk and 54.5 for floating... It didn't start!!

Check, check, triple check...
No all should be good...
Small panic... Did I receive DOA? (Dead on arrival)

The manual shows "WeChat" app contact.
They where really helpful!

Quickly they ask my battery voltage and charger voltage, and told me it have to be atleast 5 volt difference.

Yeah!!

It starts!
With the led light blinking and a nice BEEP!

I like the beep.
Every time you change a setting, it will beep to confirm successful storage in the BMS.

Anyways, one start the BMS tells me that the settings do not match the number of connect cells.

It looks easy to change..
You have to put in the password before you can.

For connect with Bluetooth, the password is 1234.
Easy.
The manual advice to change the name and default PWD.

Logical might be that this password is the password I just set... Right??

Nope.

WeChat again.

That PWD is 123456

Something nice for the manual!!!

After this..

It's all easy.

IMG_20200328_135617_copy_1000x1333.jpg

IMG_20200328_135623_copy_1000x750.jpg

This is temporary setup!!
I have ordered 17 additional 152Ah to make it total 456Ah battery array.

17?
Yes, I F@cked up one cell...

IMG_20200328_135651_copy_1000x750.jpg

A bit dark, but you can see the wide space between the 2 cells.
That's due to the puffy one :)

App is nice but you need to adjust some default value as they are absolutely bogus.
(Minimum temperature of -20?)

Screenshot_20200328_132927_com.jktech.bms.jpg
Screenshot_20200328_135434_com.jktech.bms.jpg

The red one is the set with the puffy cell.
No real surprise there!

Screenshot_20200328_135230_com.jktech.bms.jpg

Screenshot_20200328_142048_com.jktech.bms.jpg

I received a question about the discharge amperage. If I expect it can do 150? Yes, sure!
300? I don't know, probably never going to try it.
My Inverters go to max 9600w.

I don't even have enough equipment to push 9000 watts in one time.

2400W goes just fine, without a blink.
I didn't even notice a temperature change of the BMS itself.

Screenshot_20200328_143224_com.jktech.bms.jpg

During the sunny hours it's hard to make real discharge, as the solar takes the heavy loads :)

When dark, I can make test to about 5000w, but that's the max for now.

I'm still in the phase of fine-tune my electricity system.

Not even half of all the cables in my home are connected yet!

Last edited:
Question for the readers!!

I have a strange home, build outside walls with straw bale and chicken wire to make the clay (cob) stronger.

As result..
Faraday cage..

The Bluetooth of the BMS appears to have problems with it.
WiFi seems to have no issues.

Close to the BMS, contact works good.
Beyond the mesh wall ..
NADA.

Things are Still flexible here.
And without the need of the big lead acid battery array, that wall will go.

Make nice small (sound and dust proof, well ventilated) cupboard for the electronic devices.

Probably that will act the same.
(Faraday cage)

How to connect with BT "out of range"??

Is there a device that can connect and boost the signal?
Like relay?

I find tons for speaker..
But this simple need to connect, mimic and boost.

Does it exist?

You can try a passive repeater (basically two antennas, one on each side of the farady cage, connected with a cable), that's cheap and you don't need to power it, but of course there's no amplification so the signal might still be too small.

The second simplest thing is to use an external antenna (placed on the other side of the faraday cage in your case) connected by a cable to your device. That require some soldering (and voiding the warranty) if the device has no external antenna connector. Also don't require any external power.

Then of course you can use an active repeater but you need to power it and it's more expensive.

Is the bluetooth module on a separate board and connected to the BMS by wires? if yes you can put the BT module outside the faraday cage.

Sadly (or lucky) the BT is inside the BMS.

And apparently it needs really strong signal.

I can see it on my phone.
Screenshot_20200328_233148_com.android.settings.jpg

See it in the app

Screenshot_20200328_233325_com.jktech.bms.jpg

But can not connect unless I'm a few meter (1 or 2 meter)

Screenshot_20200328_233334_com.jktech.bms.jpg

I thought about the solutions mentioned above, but sadly, while it should be simple..
I can not find any commercial available products that really just forward the signal.

For speaker there are loads.

Unless I need to program the app myself..
The app needs to be fooled that it is not connected to a relay, but the BMS...

And that is where the problems start.
Many "smart" solutions that can have several slave BT...
But not an app that mimics the original BT connect

That's why I'd never use consumer RF tech for anything that must be reliable. A cable is simple, cheap and work through walls...

So, back to the problem: it's effectively (very) hard to find a bluetooth repeater and not one of those things that work only with X or Y product, those aren't repeaters, they are just separate bluetooth modules with more power... (ah, marketing...)

Now, from the pictures the BMS is entirely encased by a metal case and you tell me the BT module is on the BMS board... see the problem? The question is who is stupid enough to put a RF transceiver inside the metal case of the product? It's a miracle it works at all actually (probably thanks to openings for the big caps).

Two solutions: send back this poorly designed BMS and get a different one (but I know it's a PITA, especially with the covid19), try to fix the problem (but there's no guarantee you can for a reasonable cost).

The first thing that comes to mind is two BT modules and an Arduino or Raspberry Pi, it would be cheap but you need to do a bit of coding, all it needs to do is forward the com from one BT module to the other one.

Ok...

But start at the start.

For starters..
The minimum voltage difference between the battery array and the charger to start the BMS (only needed to do one time, at start) needs to be 5 volt (!!)

With my batteries at 53.5 and my MPPT inverter charger already set to careful settings of 56.5 for bulk and 54.5 for floating... It didn't start!!

No all should be good...

Quickly they ask my battery voltage and charger voltage, and told me it have to be atleast 5 volt difference.

Yeah!!

It starts!

I like the beep.
Every time you change a setting, it will beep to confirm successful storage in the BMS.

Anyways, one start the BMS tells me that the settings do not match the number of connect cells.

Easy.

Nope.

WeChat again.

That PWD is 123456

After this..

It's all easy.

View attachment 9787

View attachment 9788

17?

View attachment 9789

App is nice but you need to adjust some default value as they are absolutely bogus.

View attachment 9790
View attachment 9791

No real surprise there!

View attachment 9792

View attachment 9793
Wow, Super Nice Project details for us to see n be inspired by while learning more. Seeing those battery details more may have me going for a more complicated type BMS for my upcoming 24 v 280Ah 8 cell set. I believe (without knowing all details) that the dependable and simple Daly BMSs do not provide any details. I am little afraid of the learning curve for the details kind of BMS (want the easier configuration choice, bet some old models are a headache); ... lately been thinking my education on LifePO4 builds would in longer term, be much better taking on the learning curve of more detail to see and adjust when desired.

RE: Your17? Yes, I F@cked up one cell: How did you do that?

(know this if a side topic: sorry if I am off forum procol/ hard to stop writng this:) ...Since seeing the low price LifePO4 options on Alibaba via this forum , I am considering ordering one extra cell , and going for a 16 piece 24v 560 Ah battery set (close to 13.5 kwh. one extra cell would not cost much more, and be a quick backup to a fuckup, or a below par cell showing up (might be overkill).

... Doing some math: I have lately been comparing the Kilo Watts/ Hrs of the 13.5 KW/h Tesla PowerWall to options in the DIY world. I see a huge price difference w DIY build inspiration grounded in forum support, and Will's (and others) YouTube College lessons (THANK You Will), with Alibaba sales sources. I also notice big price difference to other lithium based battery options offered on the market here in Mendocino county, Northern California

Wow: I believe I can build a LifePO4 battery with the same same KW/h rating as the Telsa Power Wall at maybe 1/3 or less of the Tesla cost. Hopefully a DIY build would be as durable (think likely yes? not sure). Of course Tesla Powerwalls (I read 13.5 KW/h basic $6.5K cost/ maybe $10K with required professional licensed installation) would have more bells and whistles, maybe an inverter ?, and likely up-datable firmware w computer programing options, n fanciest digital display (? not sure/ would have to more fully study that). ... Was originally considering a 280 Ah set. After getting confident of my deal dialog, and aiming at a negotiated sales contract on Aliaba that suit my risk concerns, I may lean into my bigger order idea. More Power to All; including all efforts toward independent power, and greener lower carbon footprints everywhere! Thank You fhort in Thialand, and Will, and other posters I find inspiring. Fhorst: IMO: Your style of info. sharing and picture sharing is inspiring ;+)

Last edited:
Ok...

But start at the start.

For starters..

No all should be good...

Yeah!!

It starts!

I like the beep.

Easy.

Nope.

WeChat again.

That PWD is 123456

After this..

It's all easy.

View attachment 9787

View attachment 9788

17?

View attachment 9789

View attachment 9790
View attachment 9791

No real surprise there!

View attachment 9792

View attachment 9793
Nice to see in action, in your picture above you can note power is being drained from 01cell and being dump in #15 cell, to balance them. So it shouldn't take too long to balance the pack.?

Question: In studying what I can find on E& J Tech Group and this equipment you chose; while still getting my bearings:
My 1st Question: Is this equipment basically a BMS integrated with a charge controller ? my initial scan of info. reveals no prices, plus seem like a big bite to get into for grounded understanding . You and Will got my Interest up, while wondering: What am I looking at from a bigger perspective.

from http://www.ejbattery.com/productview_23.htm
this impressed me:
The battery active equalizer is a balanced management system tailored for large-capacity tandem lithium battery packs ... The equalizer uses supercapacitor as a medium to achieve active energy transfer equalization. ... suitable for 12S-24S battery packs .. energy transfer is performed with an equalizing current of 1 A. ... equalizing current does not depend on the voltage difference of the series connected cells. ... equalization current is set independently in the range of 0.1-1A,

Wow is my first Take. Still figuring it out.

Last edited:
No charge controller, it is a bms with an active balance, it will take power out of the highest cell and transfer it to the lowest cell. This is the new one. It has all the protection needed for your batteries plus a balancing circuit using capacitors. This is the link.

C$ 129.95 20% Off | 1A/2A Active Balance Battery Protection Board Smart BMS 14S ~ 24S 100A 150A 200A 300A 400A Phone APP Lifepo4 li-ion LTO 16S 20S

Nice to see in action, in your picture above you can note power is being drained from 01cell and being dump in #15 cell, to balance them. So it shouldn't take too long to balance the pack.?
One of the 15th cells is the one I over charged and got puffy.
As result it will stay the bad apple.
Yes it will equalise, during discharge it also empties faster, making the BMS work for its money...
Lol
I've ordered a replacement.

@Capt Bill
You make it sound exciting!!
Supercapacitor...
Lol...
Marketing talk.

As Dennis explained, it's BMS that also does active load balancing.

Many load balancing boards use transistor to burn of the higher level as heat, not really transport from one cell to the other.
This one does.
@ 1 or 2 A, depending on model.

I'm making educated guesses here, but I expect the 2 large capacitors (for normal BMS exceptional large) draw the energy from the highest cell to place it in the lowest.

To do this, 1A at 3.5 (?) Volts, you don't need thick cables.
The spaghetti wires will do just fine

The 15th cell in the morning..
Screenshot_20200329_081857_com.jktech.bms.jpg

And status of the overall charge:

Screenshot_20200329_082013_com.jktech.bms.jpg

There is already a few hours daylight, but just started to be enough to start charging the cells.

Apparently we use about 60% at night.
That's indeed the 9kwh I counted on.

I tested the Bluetooth speaker.
It have no problems at all in the room, like WiFi signal doesn't have a problem.

Apparently enough open space between the mesh beams :)

The BMS have really weak signal and it decades fast.
A lot faster then the speaker.

Really, distance more then 2.5 meter (inside the room) will stop the BMS responding.

That is quite disappointing.
They blaim it on the metal housing, who "can't" be removed as it is also for cooling.

I won't try to remove it, it's not a that big issue.

Not that I'm afraid to void warranty.
I never(*) received warranty from China!
That's voided once they send it out :)

(*) Almost Never.
The few times I did receive, it was amazing professional!!

Not a big deal, for me not worth to start messing with a good thing.
How often do I need to look at the information from the BMS?
Really?

At start a few times, then every few months, if I don't forget to set a reminder.

It works, really good. Only close range.
And that isn't a bad thing.
I can inspect if something is wrong even before (and durning) I make the BT connection.

They blaim it on the metal housing, who "can't" be removed as it is also for cooling.

:ROFLMAO:

Thanks for this, that's the most hilarious thing I saw from a manufacturer since a long time...

So it's basically the same than:
"Here's our new car"
"But, but I can't drive it..."
"Yeah, that's because of our anti-theft system"

:ROFLMAO:

Sometimes I wish you can buy brains on ebay, it would be useful for some people.

Yes.

I have them the advice to mention the range in the advert or/and manual.

It's all about expectations.
You read BT 4.0 and know, max 100 meter. Most won't do this, but 10,15 meter goes OK.

When you find out it's only a few...
It's a bummer.
But if you would know it only works on close range (what is not a big issue)..
You are aware before you buy.
I don't think it would matter for many buyers.
Or, atleast, it would not have mattered to me when selecting the BMS.

How often do you use it?

I do now for a few days " a lot" ( a few Times a day)
But once all is set up, and working..
Why bother to look?
(Except for time to time monitoring)

If they just mention it..

Like the PWD (123456) and/or the minimal power difference between battery and charger....
(And that it needs a charger / solar panels during day light at time of installation!)

Like said, lucky they are online a lot.

A thing you can try if not afraid to void the warranty is to make a hole in the casing in front of the BT antenna, it should help a lot.

If you want to be a bit less savage you can put an external antenna instead (it can be a simple dipole antenna made from a piece of coax or you can reuse an antenna from a wifi router for example, basically using what you have on hand).

Thank your fhorst for the Active type BMS link and Lesson. I see you do your research. I just made a copy of your learning curve notes in case I go for this same specific BMS. That info. would be invaluable to anyone ordering behind you. I just learned the "newer Active style of BMS deal with cell voltage imbalance via transporting volt - amps from one cell to the other, while many load balancing boards use transistor to just burn off the higher voltage cell levels as heat. That is new the info. I am registering in my brain! ..Now wondering about the other BMSs I have been considering, and if any of them are active types (a new awareness to integrate). I am gona compare reviews and specs of your choice to a recent consideration: Chargery BMS16T BMS With 300A Shunt For 2S-16S with 1.2A Balance SOC Display etc . at https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32979779253.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.97833c00WaE76m&mp=1

I think I am glimpsing part of the evolution of collective worldwide green lower carbon footprints efforts right here in this thread and forum. Make em better and more efficient at their task, while hopefully also more durable. Just listened to a recent Youtube clip last night re: Telsa Battery Developments. I was amazed at what I heard about battery research and developments from their perspective with mention of LifePO4 chemistry in their mix of thumbs up talk. ... Thanks for sharing your experiences. I like this forum and thread.

Back