diy solar

diy solar

New construction

Looks awesome! How has the battery storage worked out so far? Are you using it overnight or during peak rates?

I believe I am still learning about battery storage. When I fired up the system a few weeks ago, all the EG4's showed 3 lights or 75% charge. I've run them up and down from 50-70% using solar to charge them. Yesterday I used the grid to get them boosted to and indicated 100%, but the lights on the batteries did not show the show that state of charge. I am not using communication yet and i now understand the limitations of just using voltage ranges. I ordered an EG4 communication hub and it arrives today. That will let me get a true state of charge reading on the Sol-ark. My house is under construction, so nothing is really running right now. typical load is 80-150 watts, unless I am running a 1500 watt space heater.

I am on a constant 15 cents per KWH, so my goal is to use the batteries at night. My guess is I need 15-16KWH to get me through the night, but time will tell. I definitely need a few more panels for winter generation. Between trees and my 3/12 pitched roof, I want 12 more ground mount bifacial panels at a 50 degree angle to help me in the winter months. I have one EG4 ground mount that holds 4 panels. I want to try it this winter to get a little data on the power generated.

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back