diy solar

diy solar

New EG4 18k inverter with EG4 14kwh battery , home lights dimming briefly, but often

Ben McCann

Hi, I'm two days into a new install of an EG4 18k with the EG4 powerpro wall mount battery. Seems to be working smoothly, but I (and more importantly my family) have noticed that the lights (mostly LED) dim briefly when the system is running off the battery. It might only be at night with no PV input, or it might be that we notice it more at night. Is anyone experiencing this and are there any changes to the inverter settings that might mitigate it? Happens a couple of times a minute, but not on a pattern. I'm guessing that it has something to do with switching between battery and grid power source, but not sure.

Hi, I'm two days into a new install of an EG4 18k with the EG4 powerpro wall mount battery. Seems to be working smoothly, but I (and more importantly my family) have noticed that the lights (mostly LED) dim briefly when the system is running off the battery. It might only be at night with no PV input, or it might be that we notice it more at night. Is anyone experiencing this and are there any changes to the inverter settings that might mitigate it? Happens a couple of times a minute, but not on a pattern. I'm guessing that it has something to do with switching between battery and grid power source, but not sure.
I can help you out is your inverter connected to Wifi?

Figured this one out. We have a sub panel to a cabin on the loads and when the jet water pump kicks on, it pulls enough to lower the voltage for a quick sec. The water pump makes a lot of noise but it is an exterior cabin, so I didn't notice it and make the connection. The pump pulls 10 amps at 120v but when it gets going it could be 30 to 40 as it's initial startup. It makes sense that the battery draw would take a few milliseconds to catch up and we would notice it in the lights.

Figured this one out. We have a sub panel to a cabin on the loads and when the jet water pump kicks on, it pulls enough to lower the voltage for a quick sec. The water pump makes a lot of noise but it is an exterior cabin, so I didn't notice it and make the connection. The pump pulls 10 amps at 120v but when it gets going it could be 30 to 40 as it's initial startup. It makes sense that the battery draw would take a few milliseconds to catch up and we would notice it in the lights.
Out of curiosity, what did you decide to do about it?

Nothing. Knowing what it is, and that at some point, we'll replace the pump motor eases my concern. If the family complains, I could relocate the cabin sub-panel off the load panel. The main service panel fed by the grid has a lot more "oomph" behind the voltage to stabilize it when heavy motor loads ramp up.

My grandparents had geothermal heat and cooling and every time that old pump would kick on the lights would briefly dim. This was decades ago with only incandescent bulbs and only grid power and it would still do it.

One of my childhood memories of grandma's house, the grunt of the pump kicking on and the lights pulsing :LOL:

Back