diy solar

diy solar

New EG4 Battery issue

Redflyer

I have 10 Lifepower4 batteries and just recently ordered two more.

Putting them in the rack and trying to top them off. The problem has been the battery SOC lights just sit on three lights. I went ahead and started using them anyway. They just sit on 3 lights. They never flash, they never light up the fourth light. I didn't reset both BMS's, but it didn't matter.

Anyone ever have this issue? My other batteries act 'normally'. Thanks.

Came across this..

I put the laptop on the new ones and they both show the CMOS and BMOS red (turned off).

I reset one and it started to charge, but will only do it for 10 minutes....then CMOS/BMOS off again. No alert light. just three steady green.

I've reset the second battery and it shows the same issue, but when turned back on...it just goes thru the light test, then alerts out.

Neither one is working correctly. Will try and update both BMS versions and see what happens.

Did you happen to see exactly which version of firmware these batteries are on? Using BMS Test if you could capture some screenshots of the batteries after they stop charging. If the batteries are not on V3.26 or above they could have become uncalibrated and are fully charged but the SOC% is reading incorrectly and this could be a reason why they stop charging and only have (3) SOC% led lights. Are you able to discharge these batteries? Do you have a ammeter to clamp the positive or negative on these (2) batteries to read the amperage they are charging/discharging at?

Thanks Jarrett.

I'll check it out. I'm willing to do anything to get these batteries up and running. I don't want to go down the return/replace path.

More work to do.

I put the laptop on the new ones and they both show the CMOS and BMOS red (turned off).

I reset one and it started to charge, but will only do it for 10 minutes....then CMOS/BMOS off again. No alert light. just three steady green.

I've reset the second battery and it shows the same issue, but when turned back on...it just goes thru the light test, then alerts out.

Neither one is working correctly. Will try and update both BMS versions and see what happens.
I had the same problem. 4 old Lifepower 4 batteries and 2 new ones acquired a couple of weeks ago. The two new ones, after power up, would flash the SOC lights for 10 minutes and then stop. The BMS_test program showed CMOS off and DMOS off, not charging after 10 minutes. A repower or resest would get another 10 minutes. Talked to Signature Solar and they told me to upgrade the battery software for all six units using the BMS_test program. But I only updated the 2 new units. The charging problem went away. But the 2 new units now flash the alarm light when it's cold. BMS_test message is "Cold charging alarm". The thermometer in my garage with the batteries says 40 deg F. Manual says that battery charging is okay to 32 deg F. Apparently software upgrades are as likely to produce new problems as solve old ones.

Did you happen to see exactly which version of firmware these batteries are on? Using BMS Test if you could capture some screenshots of the batteries after they stop charging. If the batteries are not on V3.26 or above they could have become uncalibrated and are fully charged but the SOC% is reading incorrectly and this could be a reason why they stop charging and only have (3) SOC% led lights. Are you able to discharge these batteries? Do you have a ammeter to clamp the positive or negative on these (2) batteries to read the amperage they are charging/discharging at?
Apparently this is a problem that other people, like me, have had. SOC lights indicate that charging stops after ten minutes. Battery monitor program indicates the same. Bottom two units are new and have the problem. Top unit is one of four older (1.5 years) batteries that don't have the problem. Updating the firmware of the new batteries seems to fix the problem. But the new firmware issues a cold charging alarm when the temperature is less than 42F.

I just bought a new EG4 Lifepower4 48V batttery and had the same problem with the alarm showing CMOS off and DMOS off. After resetting the battery, it worked fine for about 10 minutes and then back into alarm just like Tilo Reber experienced. The battery had 3.36 firmware. My other batteries have 3.10 firmware. I had firmware files from when I bought my first battery and loaded it into the new battery. Now they all have 3.10 firmware and the problem appears to be solved. Attached are the 3.10 files if you would like to try them.

Attachments

• Lifepower4Firmware1.zip
    376.1 KB · Views: 12
I have 10 Lifepower4 batteries and just recently ordered two more.

Putting them in the rack and trying to top them off. The problem has been the battery SOC lights just sit on three lights. I went ahead and started using them anyway. They just sit on 3 lights. They never flash, they never light up the fourth light. I didn't reset both BMS's, but it didn't matter.

Anyone ever have this issue? My other batteries act 'normally'. Thanks.
Here is the fix that worked for me. Just had it happen. Had 9 previously purchased Lifepower4 batteries. They were in a 6 unit and 3 unit cabinets. Purchased another 6 and the 6 unit cabinet. Didn't want to change dip switch numbers on first 6 cabinet batteries so I put new 6 in the middle. Same thing happened with SOC lights, wouldn't blink or charge past 3 solid lights. On a test, turned off all batteries , made new 6 the first in sequence and set dip switches accordingly. Turned on and they all worked correctly. New batteries with newer firmware need to be first. Then I upgraded all older batteries with new firmware, powered all off, reset dip switches to fit my previous cabinet situation and turned them all on. Everything works great! New batteries are in position 8-10 and 13-15. FIX Upgrade all older firmware to newest version (make all battery firmware the same). *Got the idea from someone down below that downgraded firmware. But thought it better to upgrade firmware. Best luck to all! Tony Munoz

Thankyou redflyer and tilo. I have 6 new EG4 lifepower with 3-leds that only charge for ~10 minutes. Apparently they only discharge for 10 minutes also. After that the terminal voltage drops to 27.5V, with high output impedance. I did try changing the addresses from 0-5 to 0-2-4-6-8-10, no difference (but then I see posts stating the dip switches do not reflect the actual binary code set?). Unfortunately I have never received the 'Free' USB cable so I can not try new firmware. I suspected that these were shipped with factory test firmware or something. So basically I have a 700lb anchor. The user manual is wholly inadequate describing the led idiot lights, and I read that they operate in reverse from what is written?. I would think that signature solar would send out advisories for problems that they do in fact know exist.

Thankyou redflyer and tilo. I have 6 new EG4 lifepower with 3-leds that only charge for ~10 minutes. Apparently they only discharge for 10 minutes also. After that the terminal voltage drops to 27.5V, with high output impedance. I did try changing the addresses from 0-5 to 0-2-4-6-8-10, no difference (but then I see posts stating the dip switches do not reflect the actual binary code set?). Unfortunately I have never received the 'Free' USB cable so I can not try new firmware. I suspected that these were shipped with factory test firmware or something. So basically I have a 700lb anchor. The user manual is wholly inadequate describing the led idiot lights, and I read that they operate in reverse from what is written?. I would think that signature solar would send out advisories for problems that they do in fact know exist.
Hi @tomww If you're having trouble or missing any parts, please don't hesitate to reach out to me at engagement@signaturesolar.com and we can get you taken care of!

I just bought a new EG4 Lifepower4 48V batttery and had the same problem with the alarm showing CMOS off and DMOS off. After resetting the battery, it worked fine for about 10 minutes and then back into alarm just like Tilo Reber experienced. The battery had 3.36 firmware. My other batteries have 3.10 firmware. I had firmware files from when I bought my first battery and loaded it into the new battery. Now they all have 3.10 firmware and the problem appears to be solved. Attached are the 3.10 files if you would like to try them.

I just updated all six of my lifepower4 batteries to 3.36. One now failed with a DMOS failed alarm. Does anyone have the 3.36 ver so I can revert back on this one battery. ?

Back