diy solar

diy solar

New Lux Power LXP-LB-US 12k / GSL-H-12KLV-US with 200A AC Passthrough Current (US Market)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: GSL compatible batteries - it's a BMS thing. While I was working out a converter for my JKBMS, I set the GSL to use lead acid. Not ideal, but works. Now I have a protocol converter setup, my JKBMS communicates over Pylon, which the GSL inverter does support. Without a doubt, this is 100% not a supported config. Standard disclaimers apply - YMMV, use at your own risk.
yes, it's the BMS thing, which kind of annoying. Some manufacturers insist on specific BMS, which I understand because of specific communication package; but would be nice to have a "user/custom" battery setting and let the user takes responsible for BMS stuff, for a DIY battery bank for example.

I have a question about all of these concerns regarding over charging a Lithium battery. Doesn't the BMS of the battery prevent overcharging? that has always been my understanding. I do understand this can be of concern for other types of batteries.

I have a question about all of these concerns regarding over charging a Lithium battery. Doesn't the BMS of the battery prevent overcharging? that has always been my understanding. I do understand this can be of concern for other types of batteries.
It does, but consider it a last line of defense to prevent damage. If the voltage per cell (or per pack) goes too high, all the BMS can do is completely disconnect, which is not good for the inverter. Closed loop communication between inverter and BMS helps prevent this scenario - the inverter is ultimately responsible for charging, but the BMS can request a lower current, or for charging to stop altogether before limits are reached.

It's the pigeoning/requirement to use limited brand, possibly proprietary, equipment that I have problem with. There is just less option. A decent BMS can disconnect the charging independently

Is there any reason, why I can't simply removed (2) existing 5KW Fronius Primo GT inverters and replace them with the (2) new 12KW GSL hybrid inverters reusing all existing 30A wiring and connections to the existing inverter breaker panel and existing 80A wiring to the smart meter and grid?

The intent is not to convert to hybrid mode, but continue to operate "as is" on grid only. For now, I will not be using the generator or the ups functions or AC coupling. The third 5KW Fronius Primo GT inverter will continue to feed the grid with no change in wiring.

I would like to test the (2) new inverters in parallel now with the existing solar panels as a GT system, which is exactly how the existing GT inverters are working. When I get the batteries, I will then attempt to convert to a hybrid system with new larger capacity wiring, breakers and disconnects. I will also attempt to AC couple the one Fronius Primo inverter when I have batteries.

Last edited:
Is there any reason, why I can't simply removed (2) existing 5KW Fronius Primo GT inverters and replace them with the (2) new 12KW GSL hybrid inverters reusing all existing 30A wiring and connections to the existing inverter breaker panel and existing 80A wiring to the smart meter and grid?
I don't see a problem. Fronius accepts a higher Voc then most inverters.
That is the only limit you would have to watch imo.

The intent is not to convert to hybrid mode, but continue to operate "as is" on grid only. For now, I will not be using the generator or the ups functions or AC coupling. The third 5KW Fronius Primo GT inverter will continue to feed the grid with no change in wiring.
Should just work [famous last words]

I would like to test the (2) new inverters in parallel now with the existing solar panels as a GT system, which is exactly how the existing GT inverters are working. When I get the batteries, I will then attempt to convert to a hybrid system with new larger capacity wiring, breakers and disconnects. I will also attempt to AC couple the one Fronius Primo inverter when I have batteries.
Once you have them hooked up, you should connect the outputs together, install the data cables, set the main/follower setting on the inverters.
If you then have enough PV power and flip both breakers to the grid, they should continue providing output power in sync and if you hook up a load (though a breaker!) you should be able to get readings on the LCD touch screen how much power each of the inverters is providing to the load.
That should be balanced at that point.

You mentioned output power in sync. Right now all three Fronius communicate and are in sync. There could be a potential problem of being in sync with the third Fronius inverter not in parallel and working independently from the two new GSL inverters.

You mentioned output power in sync. Right now all three Fronius communicate and are in sync. There could be a potential problem of being in sync with the third Fronius inverter not in parallel and working independently from the two new GSL inverters.

You described replacing the existing fronius 1:1 with the LP inverters.
You will hookup the PV panels to the DC input(s) and the grid .
There will be no change to your current situation.
everything will be synchronized to the grid and back feeding to the grid

then you said you want to test.
first you power off everything. (PV & AC of both LP's)
in that case you will have to hookup your 2 new LP inverters OUTPUTS (ESS) (through a temp/small breaker) to a sub panel.
you also hookup a load (through a breaker) to that sub panel.
you hookup the data cabling.
You switch on LP#1 with PV only that will be the master controller and give it the right ID for being used in parallel.
switch on breaker to subpanel (leave grid off)

switch on LP#2 with PV, configure it to be a follower of #1.
Once configured correctly, you can turn on the AC output breaker of LP#2 to the sub panel and the 2 LP's should be in sync.
Now you can test a small load only on the output.
Eg a 1000 watt heating element and 500 watt should be coming from LP#1 and 500 watt from LP#2.
This is pure an off grid test and only the 2 LP's should be synchronized at that point.

Once you enable the grid breakers again, everything will be synced to the grid again.

Last edited:
I'm trying to obtain the release notes from LuxPower, and they're asking for the serial number.

Can anyone provide a serial number I can send to them? My inverter is still en route from China.

Thanks!

I'm trying to obtain the release notes from LuxPower, and they're asking for the serial number.

Can anyone provide a serial number I can send to them? My inverter is still en route from China.

Thanks!
Why would they need a serial number?
Will you only get the release notes for the firmware on that particular unit?
Search for the postings where several of us posted firmware versions by posting picture of color lcd screen.
Has serial numbers included ;-)
My information is:
Model: 00988C1
Serial number: 2352028131
Firmware version: FA 1.0
Build version: FAAA-0E0D

Why would they need a serial number?
Will you only get the release notes for the firmware on that particular unit?
Search for the postings where several of us posted firmware versions by posting picture of color lcd screen.
Has serial numbers included ;-)
My information is:
Model: 00988C1
Serial number: 2352028131
Firmware version: FA 1.0
Build version: FAAA-0E0D

Thanks. I don't know why they're asking for the serial. I'm surprised I even got a response. I'll keep you posted as to their response.

I did get a clarification from GSL about what is meant by working without a battery.

View attachment 120146
I am pretty sure that with 2000 watt PV available, you can run a 1000 watt load on this inverter without batteries.
I will do this, take some pictures/movie showing that this actually works.

Last edited:
I spoke to the USA dealer i bought my unit from today.
He said the software to parallel inverters currently can go up to 3 units.
There is also another software upgrade available to do AC coupling (he showed me a video of an SMA string inverter AC coupled to the LP.
Currently there seems not (yet) be a software version that does AND parallel AND AC coupling for the LP (& oem) inverters.
I have asked to upgrade my LP to the AC coupling firmware.
Once done, I will hookup a few IQ8 micro inverters and do some testing.
Problem is as always I have a full schedule with my work so not much time during the day when the sun is shining ;-)

I just updated the firmware of the LCD display unit.
You do that by formatting a micro-SD card (max 16GB) and extract a zip file to it.
Powering off the inverter, insert the uSD card at the back of the display and turning on the inverter.
After a minute the upgrade is finished and will show this:
IMG_20221114_210129468.jpg

Turn the machine off, remove the SD card and turn the inverter back on:
The main screen now shows the LCD version info:
Screenshot from 2022-11-14 21-13-46.png
Device info now shows extra info about the LCD /image/icon version
Screenshot from 2022-11-14 21-10-58.png

In order to use either AC coupling or Paralleling of inverters, the LCD software needs to be updated first.

Attached is the needed info to do this.

Attachments

• DWIN_SET.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 11
Currently there seems not (yet) be a software version that does AND parallel AND AC coupling for the LP (& oem) inverters.
I have asked to upgrade my LP to the AC coupling firmware.
You do that by formatting a micro-SD card (max 16GB) and extract a zip file to it.
Powering off the inverter, insert the uSD card at the back of the display and turning on the inverter.

Since I have (2) GSL inverters, I will need to chose parallel not AC coupling.

My original intent was not to replace the existing (3) GT inverters, but AC couple to the new (2) GSL inverters. The location that I had selected, unfortunately have gas piping running from within the storage building to under the slab to the kitchen stove, another gas piping to the gas instantaneous water heater and barbeque grille. It is a very small confined space, so it is no longer an option for the new inverters and batteries,

The only option left for me is to replace the (3) 5 KW GT inverters with the new (2) 12K GSL inverters. Therefore, AC coupling is no longer an option.

My (2) GSL inverters were delivered Monday afternoon. I was amazed that the cardboard boxes without any special protection appeared to be completely undamaged.

Attachments

• GSL inverters.jpg
    GSL inverters.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 11
View attachment 120307

Turn the machine off, remove the SD card and turn the inverter back on:
The main screen now shows the LCD version info:
View attachment 120310
Device info now shows extra info about the LCD /image/icon version
View attachment 120309

In order to use either AC coupling or Paralleling of inverters, the LCD software needs to be updated first.

after the update, did you notice any noise from the inverter? The noise is noticeable when the inverter is inverting Power using the battery. noise will go away when power is pass thru. also solar production will divided between battery and grid sell Instead battery first, then load and last to the grid… I notice all this when I did both display and ac couple update..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back