diy solar

diy solar

New Lux Power LXP-LB-US 12k / GSL-H-12KLV-US with 200A AC Passthrough Current (US Market)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty important distinction and difference.

I have no experience with the LVX6048 nor do I desire to know the specs and don't need to see the manual. My comments are regarding the incorrect information regarding the LV6548.
I just the opposite. I am only interested in hybrid inverters not off-grid inverters. I never downloaded the LV6548 only the LVX6048 hybrid inverter and was disappointed with the specifications. If you do a DIY search on LV6548, you will find many threads that share your interest and offer detail information on LV6548 that includes the good, bad and the ugly about these inverters.

Hello all, new to this forum, I have spent many hours reading a lot of material in this huge thread. Briefly, I have a 200Amp meter with manual switch box and we have 12.5 kva pto generator. As my parents get older, the pto generator is way too much trouble when needed. So I looked at the LXP-LB-US 12k +2x 10kW 51.2V GSL battery packs coupled with a 22kVa automatic start propane generator. No solar yet but once the system is functional we might look into it.

With a lot of insistence, I managed to get GSL to send me the inverter, the two battery packs to my door in Montreal. GSL seems to not sell the inverter anymore but they asked Luxpower and they were provided with one unit. I was amazed how Stacy was responsive to all my novice question and what she went through to provide me with one inverter from Luxpower. I'm waiting for the Alibaba invoice now and I wanted to touch base with the folks here that are way more knowledgeable than me. Is it a good idea? Anyone with strong advise against?

Once we see how the system operates, I thought we might buy another inverter both for power and redundancy with two more battery packs. But we might also explore the solar option instead. Long story short, if anyone has some objection, Speak Now or Forever Hold Your Peace!! :D

Thanks and I might be back here when I receive the equipment!

Is it a good idea? Anyone with strong advise against?
Like you I bought (2) 12K Luxpower hybrid inverters and (2) GSL 51V 14.3K 280Ah batteries. Unlike you, I am using 28.8K of solar panels without a generator. Last week all the equipment was installed and the system is up and running on solar and connected the grid with whole house backup power. The batteries are mounted, but not connected to the inverters. My hybrid inverters was the first release without DC and AC breakers. I am in Panama and my solar contractor needed to order a 300A DC breakers for each inverter, so the batteries will be connected next week.

I have found Luxpower support to be excellent during the installation, especially Eddie Wong located in California. He is the Head of the North America division of Luxpower and he is a member of the DIY Solar Power Forum. I have no regrets in buying the Luxpower 12K hybrid inverters, so I would strongly recommend Luxpower inverters.

Last edited:
I have no regrets in buying the Luxpower 12K hybrid inverters, so I would strongly recommend Luxpower inverters.
I know you were satisfied with your previous inverters.
These inverters are significantly more complex with both batteries, time-of-use compared to your grid-tie only inverters.
From all the information I have seen/experienced so far I am pretty sure this inverter should be just as reliable, even while performing differently like a UPS etc when the power fails.
I think you made an excellent choice and would like to be updated about your experience(s) once the batteries are hooked up and you experienced you first power outage!

My hybrid inverters was the first release without DC and AC breakers.
I was not aware of this detail. So you say at first the 12K inverter did not have breaker for batteries and now they include it? How would I know if the version they shipped to me is one with the breakers? I did ask Stacy and she told me the one she sold me is the first version too. She says that the new version with the breakers would have been 400usd more expensive. So maybe you can tell me what you did order I can try to have them on hand when the equipment arrives?

I understand I need something between the batteries and the inverter (300A DC breaker)
For the AC, I have 200A fuses between the grid and the inverter, 200A breaker between the inverter and my panel, the generator has a breaker too in its connection to the inverter, so am I wrong or I need to AC breaker?

For sure I will report back and share the experience. First payment has been sent through Alibaba so no coming back now.

Last edited:
I understand I need something between the batteries and the inverter (300A DC breaker)
For the AC, I have 200A fuses between the grid and the inverter, 200A breaker between the inverter and my panel, the generator has a breaker too in its connection to the inverter, so am I wrong or I need to AC breaker?
Fromport provided me with the information for a 300A DC breaker, which I gave to my solar contractor:

The fuses or breakers are to protect the wiring, so make sure that the AC wiring is rated for 200A. If not, use smaller fuses or breakers based on the wiring amperage capacity connecting the inverters to the grid. I prefer breakers over fuses, so I can switch the power on/off, but that is only a personal opinion and you need to do your own due diligence. There are others that prefer fuses and can make a strong argument to use them instead of breakers. If you are deviating from the manual guidelines, always check with Luxpower support, which is excellent in answering questions and providing installation guidance.

Last edited:
How would I know if the version they shipped to me is one with the breakers?
Watts247 have photos of the original inverter (LEFT) and the new inverter (RIGHT):
1686663843521.png

The best way to tell, if you have the breakers is to look inside the inverter. This photo shows the new inverter with breakers:
1686665484337.png

Here is a link to Watts247 for more information:

Last edited:
The Blue Sea 300A DC breaker has 3 poles that are rated each at 100A DC and all 3 poles are factory connected to a common busbar that parallel the 3 poles for 300A DC with a connection for the battery cable.

My contractor prefers the breakers with din rails. Amazon do sell the Nader 3 poles 100A 300A breakers with common trip for din rails. However, you need to DIY the paralleling of the 3 poles for 300A and provide a connection for the battery cable:
1686668803760.png

I have also seen 300A DC breakers from China, but delivery time was 1-2 months. My batteries are mounted and ready to be connected, so I need an immediate solution. I am sure others DIY members can provide you with other options plus you don't need an immediate solution like me and you have more time to get what you want.

Last edited:
For sure I will report back and share the experience. First payment has been sent through Alibaba so no coming back now.
Make sure that delivery is DDP, which is delivery and duties paid to your home. Other DIY members have used DDP from China to USA and from China to Canada, so you have the option.

I spent 2 months insisting on DDP, but finally had to accept that it is not available in Panama. I paid $420 for FOB from China to Panama. Normally 3 weeks by sea, but GSL found a cargo ship that took 5 weeks. There are weekly deliveries from China to both ports at Panama City and Colon. I requested Panama City. GSL sent it to Colon not Panama City with instructions to forward the shipment to Panama City. These arrangements cost me another 2 weeks delay plus the cost for the 2 ports and to forward it to the Panama City was another $436 that I had to pay, which was more than the $420 to send it from China to Panama. GSL turned a 3 weeks shipment into an expensive 2 months fiasco.

Ok good to know about DDP I didn't know! Fortunately this is what I got:

3. Delivery time 25 days after receiving your payment.
4. The shipping cost is 1100usd by DDP (door to door), it takes about 55 days.

I understand the 3 poles now, they are paralleled to give the 300A... I like the one you show. I asked Stacy at GSL and she will look into it so if I'm lucky they might put it in the package for good price.

Ok good to know about DDP I didn't know! Fortunately this is what I got:

3. Delivery time 25 days after receiving your payment.
4. The shipping cost is 1100usd by DDP (door to door), it takes about 55 days.

I understand the 3 poles now, they are paralleled to give the 300A... I like the one you show. I asked Stacy at GSL and she will look into it so if I'm lucky they might put it in the package for good price.
Hi @llaforest, thanks for sharing your experience with GSL. Actually, they told us that they don't have any LXP inverters in stock available. Recently, we also didn't send any to them as we both agreed not to sell through them or anyone else on Alibaba. However, if you have already secured the deal, I don't want to cause any inconvenience for your interest. If you encounter any issues while operating the received inverter, you are always welcome to reach out to us for any after-sales support. Thank you!

I know they don't sell it anymore, Stacy went all in to ask Luxpower and they had one left they agreed to sell GSL so she could provide it to me. She made me promise that I would take 2 packs of 10kW GSL batteries if she landed the deal. Fair enough.

My local provider here sells the unit for 9000$ +tx and at this price the whole project would have been cancelled. What I paid 11K total would have cost 28K if I bought it with the local dealer. This is not fair I believe...

On my side, I have found this double pole 100A for 18$. Plan to use one for each battery as each battery can give up to 200A. The electrical box with DIN rail is around 30$, so the whole thing should be bellow 100$ which is good.

Am I right to think I only need to fuse the red wires, the black ones can be connected to bus bars?

Am I right to think I only need to fuse the red wires, the black ones can be connected to bus bars?
I agree you only need to fuse the red wire.

From your description it sounds like you are simply adding a breaker for each battery separately. I also bought 2 GSL wall mounted batteries and each of my batteries already have a breaker on the battery. I suspect that your batteries also have a breaker. Simply adding a breaker to each individual battery is redundant.

I intend to parallel both batteries and add the breaker for each inverter, so I have the option to either shutoff any battery individually or both batteries to any inverter. The 12K hybrid inverters that we bought according to the manual only have a single positive and a single negative..

Fromport recommendation of the Blue Sea 300A DC breaker has a screw where I can connect both batteries on the inlet and a screw on the outlet where I can connect the batteries to the inverter. Luxpower recommends connecting both batteries to the master and slave, then use the master to control both batteries. This is my understanding of the recommended Luxpower procedure.

As always, you need to do your own due diligence and make sure that your procedure is acceptable to the manufacturer.

Last edited:
I was wrong, it is not power outages that I need to monitor with a hybrid system. I don't need to go into energy saving mode necessarily when we lose the grid. If my solar production exceeds my consumption, using the air conditioners, well, clothes dryer, water heater, dishwasher, sauna, etc. is not an issue. During a power outage, I can't send the solar energy to the grid, so use it or lose it.

What I need to monitor during a power outage are my batteries. I need to make sure that they are fully charge, so I can maximize their use when there is no free solar energy from the solar panels. When I am on battery power, I need to reduce consumption so that the batteries last as long as possible. I also need to know when the batteries are discharging and charging. Batteries discharging mean power outage conserve energy and batteries charging mean power outage is over resume normal usage.

I don't want to watch batteries SOC monitor on my life. I need some type of notification system that alerts without being annoying and possibly automatically shutdown some devices. I do have Alexa that work with smart devices. If the AC was on in the bedroom, Alexa could turn it off and announce at the same time that there is a power outage. If someone tried to turn on an air conditioner, when on battery power, I could have her to notify that we are on battery power and that she will turn off the air conditioner after 15 minutes.

Any suggestions on how to monitor batteries charging/discharging that can send a status signal to a smart device???

Last edited:
I was wrong, it is not power outages that I need to monitor with a hybrid system. I don't need to go into energy saving mode necessarily when we lose the grid. If my solar production exceeds my consumption, using the air conditioners, well, clothes dryer, water heater, dishwasher, sauna, etc. is not an issue. During a power outage, I can't send the solar energy to the grid, so use it or lose it.

What I need to monitor during a power outage are my batteries. I need to make sure that they are fully charge, so I can maximize their use when there is no free solar energy from the solar panels. When I am on battery power, I need to reduce consumption so that the batteries last as long as possible. I also need to know when the batteries are discharging and charging. Batteries discharging mean power outage conserve energy and batteries charging mean power outage is over resume normal usage.

I don't want to watch batteries SOC monitor on my life. I need some type of notification system that alerts without being annoying and possibly automatically shutdown some devices. I do have Alexa that work with smart devices. If the AC was on in the bedroom, Alexa could turn it off and announce at the same time that there is a power outage. If someone tried to turn on an air conditioner, when on battery power, I could have her to notify that we are on battery power and that she will turn off the air conditioner after 15 minutes.

Any suggestions on how to monitor batteries charging/discharging that can send a status signal to a smart device???
You need more battery or you might wanna look into a smart panel like SPAN. Or home assistant with automation..

Last edited:
You need more battery or you might wanna look to a smart panel like SPAN. Or home assistant with automation..
I have heard of home assistant, but not SPAN. When I looked at home assistant, I was looking for something that works without the internet. I will investigate both systems for this application.

When there is a power outage, the internet equipment at the street stop working, so my home even with power will still not have internet. I am considering adding another router with failover to a sim card as a solution, but Alexa may still not work.

I don't want to buy anymore batteries from GSL. Their battery cells are laser welded, so if there is a problem with a cell there is no solution to fix it. I have found DIY batteries with 280Ah cells and either a wall mount case or a floor mounted case on wheels. Right now my solar panels are 28.6K and my two batteries are 28.6K. If I decide that I need more batteries, I will use DIY and continue to add them 2 at a time or another 28.6K.

I have heard of home assistant, but not SPAN. When I looked at home assistant, I was looking for something that works without the internet. I will investigate both systems for this application.
Homeassistant don’t need internet to work it is a local network so aslong you are in the same network you will receive notifications from Homeassistant.

When there is a power outage, the internet equipment at the street stop working, so my home even with power will still not have internet. I am considering adding another router with failover to a sim card as a solution, but Alexa may still not work.

I don't want to buy anymore batteries from GSL. Their battery cells are laser welded, so if there is a problem with a cell there is no solution to fix it. I have found DIY batteries with 280Ah cells and either a wall mount case or a floor mounted case on wheels. Right now my solar panels are 28.6K and my two batteries are 28.6K. If I decide that I need more batteries, I will use DIY and continue to add them 2 at a time or another 28.6K.
DIY Battery is best for the money if you know what your doing…

DIY Battery is best for the money if you know what your doing…
Point taken, which was the reason that I didn't originally want to consider DIY batteries. Another reason is that I don't have the space for a setup similar to yours nor does my wife want lithium batteries inside the house.

There are options now for the complete kits with instructions to duplicate wall mounted batteries like the ones that I bought or floor mounted with wheels. I now have 2 sources that could help or do the work for me, if it is too complicated or too much effort. My main focus is to be able to replace a bad cell or BMS in an emergency situation. A warranty would be useless in an emergency situation.

After GSL took 5 months to delivered 2 new batteries, I have zero confidence in GSL warranty or how long it would take to return and get a new battery under their 15 years warranty. The DIY batteries where I could replace a cell or BMS seems like a better option than a warranty from China.

My opinion of warranties is that they cover absolutely everything except what breaks and it is never the manufacturer fault.

Last edited:
Point taken, which was the reason that I didn't originally want to consider DIY batteries. Another reason is that I don't have the space for a setup similar to yours nor does my wife want lithium batteries inside the house.

There are options now for the complete kit with instructions to duplicate batteries like the one that I bought. I now have 2 sources that could help or do the work for me, if it is too complicated or too much effort. My main focus is to be able to replace a bad cell or BMS in an emergency situation. A warranty would be useless in an emergency situation.

After GSL took 5 months to delivered 2 new batteries, I have zero confidence in GSL warranty or how long it would take to return and get a new battery under their 15 years warranty. The DIY batteries where I could replace a cell or BMS seems like a better option than a warranty from China.

My opinion of warranties is that they cover absolutely everything except what breaks and it is never the manufacturer fault.
docan will be delivering the seplos mason boxes ( rebadged) , prebuild, from Houston..
i believe these are the highest AH boxes available in the US, and consist of 16 x 280ah docan cells , the seplos bms and fuse , prebuild.....

not sure what the cost will be , but 15 Kwh in 1 19"box isnt too shabby

For HomeAssistant, you can check Home Assistant Yellow, a small headless computer that runs natively HA with useful hardware. If you want to use locally without Internet, you just need to make sure the devices, sensors, etc you add in HA are compatible to use that way. You can check Shelly, they build good devices that can all work locally with no Internet access. There are tons of them, you just need to check they have a possible local access before buying them.

I have a question about the generator function. We are about to buy a Cummins RS20A 20kW automatic generator. I assumed that the ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) would not be required since the LXP 12K would manage the grid 200A relay and the generator 100A playing the same role an ATS would play.
But now I am unsure so is there anyone that connected an automatic generator on this inverter?
If yes I wanted to know what kind of control wire the inverter supplies to control the generator?
I am also looking for the installation manual now that I'm waiting for delivery to prepare the site for its arrival.

Last edited:
I have a question about the generator function. We are about to buy a Cummins RS20A 20kW automatic generator. I assumed that the ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch) would not be required since the LXP 12K would manage the grid 200A relay and the generator 100A playing the same role an ATS would play.
But now I am unsure so is there anyone that connected an automatic generator on this inverter?
If yes I wanted to know what kind of control wire the inverter supplies to control the generator?
I am also looking for the installation manual now that I'm waiting for delivery to prepare the site for its arrival.
https://eg4electronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/EG4-18KPV-12LV-Manual-1.3.0.pdf read pages 20-21. GEN Auto Start in not ready yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

diy solar

diy solar
Back