diy solar

diy solar

New Lux Power LXP-LB-US 12k / GSL-H-12KLV-US with 200A AC Passthrough Current (US Market)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my daly smart bms, with daly interface board and parallel module to communicate with the inverter using pylon protocol… i have 3 battery bank with different AH capacity 1st is 280 ah, 2nd is 300ah and 3rd is 160ah… I believe the daly interface board and parallel module is doing a good job keep them balanced with almost same percentage.

This is during charging the battery882ED809-30AD-4E8A-8923-AA27B128A422.png
This is during discharging
32919ADF-212E-4053-B894-35C39A311F46.png
Extra photos of my system AF01C091-76BF-4224-A912-EDC1F349BDFB.jpeg34F53A53-BA4A-43EF-9BA4-2C72F41E491F.jpegE4807417-4A51-43AD-91E5-DCC66E94C2E7.jpeg

I've been waiting to see how all the GSL 12K software issues get resolved before I purchase. A few moths ago, many users were complaining that the software was very unreliable and changes were being made remotely that affected even the user setting. Some were unable to leave it alone for fear the unit would do things that would violate their connect agreement.
Can anybody with issues give me an update? Is this inverter reliable and would you still recommend it?
I was in contact one recommended seller in China, but they were having delivery problems and couldn't give me a shipping quote. Can anybody recommend a seller?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I've been waiting to see how all the GSL 12K software issues get resolved before I purchase. A few moths ago, many users were complaining that the software was very unreliable and changes were being made remotely that affected even the user setting. Some were unable to leave it alone for fear the unit would do things that would violate their connect agreement.
Can anybody with issues give me an update? Is this inverter reliable and would you still recommend it?
I was in contact one recommended seller in China, but they were having delivery problems and couldn't give me a shipping quote. Can anybody recommend a seller?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Mine is working what i need it for… for the last 3 months i been pushing the inverter, I charged my battery from the grid (surplus solar production) everyday from 9am-4pm at 5kwh and discharge it at night 6pm-8am, when i have lots of capacity I use it to charge my Tesla at 10kw for 3 hours at night. Its been doing great… I finally got my bms work with the inverter but theres a bug, on the discharge menu when I select USE SOC % the inverter will go Self-usage Mode instead use my grid peak shaving setting.. Gen port with ac coupling is working now, i just got on explanations last night, and im waiting there reply with the bug I found out..

If you buy one go directly to them their website or on alibaba and speak with the owner Jim…

Last edited:
Mine is working what i need it for… for the last 3 months i been pushing the inverter, I charged my battery from the grid (surplus solar production) everyday from 9am-4pm at 5kwh and discharge it at night 6pm-8am, when i have lots of capacity I use it to charge my Tesla at 10kwh for 3 hours at night. Its been doing great… I finally got my bms work with the inverter but theres a bug, on the discharge menu when I select USE SOC % the inverter will go Self-usage Mode instead use my grid peak shaving setting.. Gen port with ac coupling is working now, i just got on explanations last night, and im waiting there reply with the bug I found out..

If you buy one go directly to them their website or on alibaba and speak with the owner Jim…
Pretty happy here too. I haven't updated firmware yet, but if AC coupling to the gen is working now then I probably should. I'm off grid charging from panels and a generator with two of the gsl 10kW batteries.

I got my daly smart bms, with daly interface board and parallel module to communicate with the inverter using pylon protocol… i have 3 battery bank with different AH capacity 1st is 280 ah, 2nd is 300ah and 3rd is 160ah… I believe the daly interface board and parallel module is doing a good job keep them balanced with almost same percentage.

This is during charging the batteryView attachment 127403
This is during discharging
View attachment 127404
Extra photos of my system View attachment 127405View attachment 127406View attachment 127407
Hey just wondering how you have your inverter installed is it connected directly in to your main panel? What size breaker did you use?
I was gonna install mine with a transfer switch incase i ever had an issue with it i could completely bypass it.

Hey just wondering how you have your inverter installed is it connected directly in to your main panel? What size breaker did you use?
I was gonna install mine with a transfer switch incase i ever had an issue with it i could completely bypass it.
Its connected from one of my sub panel to the inverter using 60A breaker since i will not be using more than 40A…
From the inverter (EPS OUTPUT) to my load panel with another 60A breaker..
On the load panel i used 2 60A breaker one is from my load panel one to the my sub panel
And then i use Gen Interlock between the inverter EPS Output and from the sub panel.
This is my bypass switch instead of buying a expensive transfer switch…

Its connected from one of my sub panel to the inverter using 60A breaker since i will not be using more than 40A…
From the inverter (EPS OUTPUT) to my load panel with another 60A breaker..
On the load panel i used 2 60A breaker one is from my load panel one to the my sub panel
And then i use Gen Interlock between the inverter EPS Output and from the sub panel.
This is my bypass switch instead of buying a expensive transfer switch…
Thanks man! anyone else wanna chime in and tell me how you have yours set up? Thank you

I would love to however with all the bad press these hybrids are getting; I haven’t made any purchases yet. I cringe at the idea that a company overseas might be able to change, turn on or turn off power. For those with links… why not turn off the link? On top of all this; how can ul approvals be issued with these types of issues? I might have answered my own question; we have the best government money can buy!!

I would love to however with all the bad press these hybrids are getting; I haven’t made any purchases yet. I cringe at the idea that a company overseas might be able to change, turn on or turn off power. For those with links… why not turn off the link? On top of all this; how can ul approvals be issued with these types of issues? I might have answered my own question; we have the best government money can buy!!
You can unplug the wifi dongle once you register it. And when you have to update the inverter just plug it in back….
With the wifi dongle not connected to the internet it will not save any data of the inverter…

Bad press? Please share. I'm curious to how a few negative experiences represent the product as a whole. As for myself and quite a few others, I have nothing but good things to say with all things considered - *especially the price*. Is a Sol-Ark 15k better? Probably. Does it justify 2-3x the cost? In my personal opinion, no. That's really the key here - nearly all the functionality of more expensive products at a fraction of the price. If you want something that has been tested, polished, well supported, and proven to be reliable, this is not for you. However, that also does not mean this is a bad product.

As for the "overseas company having the ability to change settings" argument - just wait until you learn about what else can be done to a wide variety of other internet connected devices... Jokes aside, there are a few things to unpack here:

For one, most legitimate companies will not modify your settings remotely unless there is a reason to. If you engage w/ support to fix a problem, ok, now there's a reason. Sure, there may be disagreement on 'how' to fix it, but there are many things at play here - internal processes, cultural differences, miscommunication/lack of explicit instructions (example - this inverter is powering a community hospital and CANNOT be interrupted!). They cannot see this, and may assume it's running on a test bench somewhere. How can a problem unique to one unit be fixed or diagnosed, if settings cannot be changed to observe behavior? I'm not at all justifying the action. However, we need to understand where they are coming from as well. As for my own inverter - still on original firmware, settings never remotely tweaked.

As for the wifi connectivity in general, I understand the risks based on theoretical possibilities of unexpected remote setting changes, but at the moment, they do not outweigh the benefit of having visibility to dashboards and data. If you do not have the same level of risk tolerance, unplug the dongle. It is personally not a concern to me, as any 'bad' changes won't affect safety in any material way, as external protections will kick in if/when needed. I'll cross that bridge if I get there, in the extremely unlikely event it ever happens.

UL approvals - take a minute to read up on what the purpose of UL is, and how the tests are run. First of all, let's determine what the "issues" are, and if they are even in scope of UL testing. Second, last I checked, nobody had their house burn down after proper installation of this particular inverter. If we're still talking about UL here, this means they succeeded. UL does not guarantee your device will work reliably, or be easy to use... but rather, in the event of catastrophic failure, it will not cause your house to burn down. Please don't spread FUD.

No fud here. Read all the posts with all the problems people are having. Not limited to this thread…. Great you aren’t having issues; others are. Mabe the manufacturer’s don’t understand the us market (like another said) of just a rush to get product out; these have issues! If things were all Rosie… this thread wouldn’t be this long…this is bad press

I think we must recognize that when any electronic device is sold it is subject to 1000’s of possible permutations on installation. It’s impossible to foresee every issue. Every installation a device is attached to each individual’s electrical system. No two are alike. So with each install it’s impossible to predict with certainty how combinations of devices will play together.

Second how many purchasers are represented in these forums? Are we just seeing a few with issues with the majority not having any issues and completely happy with their purchase? Are the issues we see in this forum amplified excessively when the vast majority do not even know this forum even exists? People come here with issues and looking for answers. If you don’t have issues then most will never show up here. So this forum is a snapshot of 1-2% of solar owners?

In regards to Sol Ark the misinformation and total fabrication is eye opening. A majority taking part in this stuff never owned a Sol Ark. I see constantly “costs 2-3 times, China owned, same as a Deye etc” well there are grains of truth in all deceptions. All I can say is you are missing out on the benefits of a feature packed inverter that just works. Are there issues of course. However, the Sol Ark is a great piece of equipment. It works and works well. It has a few quirks but overall when installed properly it starts up and functions as desired first try and doesn’t need a rocket scientist to operate. It is a little higher in price but in the big picture what is the actual amortized price difference? Very little. In the USA after FTC and incentives what are we talking $1-1.5k difference? Over a 10-15 yr life you’re talking pennies per month. Now we haven’t even started on support which is excellent at Sol Ark. How many times do we see purchases of other brands on here pleading for help because they can’t get any manufacturer support LOTS! So let’s be intelligent and honest. The Sol Ark is a tremendous value if we are being honest.

No fud here. Read all the posts with all the problems people are having. Not limited to this thread…. Great you aren’t having issues; others are. Mabe the manufacturer’s don’t understand the us market (like another said) of just a rush to get product out; these have issues! If things were all Rosie… this thread wouldn’t be this long…this is bad press
There are problems. I would make the same purchase again for my use case, I believe. The threads, and my experience, seem to indicate that for a significant subset of people the end goal of a stable and sufficient system is being met. Is that subset big enough? No way, I'm not even sure it's 50%, but it seems to be growing. The company has not been perfect in their interactions, but they remain responsive and I am happy with them personally.

The market is largely impossible to understand. I had a less successful path with MPP solar, but only marginally so. Technically, the system worked great (albeit with quirks, slightly more quirks than the GSL inverter has I might add.) But I got hung up on a regulatory issue where it did not support AFCI shutdown and no feasible solution could be found. In the US this likely wouldn't have been needed on a ground mount panel array, but here in Canada, at least with my inspector, it is. The regulatory uncertainties, combined with early product offering uncertainties, mean it is really still very much on the bleeding edge to set up a system this way.

In the end, a Sol-Ark, or other brand supported more broadly in the north American market, would have taken away some of the regulatory risk. But not most of that risk. I still had to hire an electrician and teach them about the solution to get through an underwhelming local inspector experience, which was independent of the inverter decision.

Having bought two Chinese inverter setups and installing them accounts for roughly $10k of my power setup budget. The rest of my system (batteries, solar panels, generator, breaker panels and feeders, surge protection, etc) is coming in about $20k for a very capable off-grid install whose performance I couldn't be happier with in real terms. I cycle about 15 kwh per day with a couple hours a day of generator time in the dark of January. It is amazing we can do this, and if I had accepted the $50k bid from the local company who does full service solar installs I don't think the end result would have been any better.

All of which is a long-winded way to say that I'm ok with how GSL has been.

I feel your pain. We had an 8yo GT system that we updated in September. Had the array of course but replaced the SMA with a Sol Ark15. I had contacted our previous installers who wanted nothing to do with it unless we chose Tesla or Generac. So I was left scrambling to get this new equipment installed. Ended up doing 90% of the work myself and I brought in a commercial electrician to do the big wire. Fortunately we didn’t need a reinspection. With 44 kWh of storage, inverter and wire I am in it for around 30k before incentives. We have 13.4 kW of array.

I have both a megarevo & luxpower AIO hybrid inverters.
I have a lot of (software) issues with the MR, none with LP.
Also the easy way to get support from LP is a breeze compared to MR.
I paid 2x the price for the LP (12K AC) vs my MR (8K AC): Double the price for 150% of the performance.

Pros:
MR
- has 2 load parts with load shedding possibility, so if battery goes below certain % SoC, you can easily dump the big loads and go to essential
only.
- cheap
LP
- has 200Amp pass through (like SA) , so easy for whole house backup as long as your load does not go > 12k Watt or
use multiple units in parallel.
- integrated RSD transmitter
- very active/response support and no language issues

Cons:
MR:
- Unless you put multiple units in parallel (currently software limits to 4) no more than 8kW of power available, with or without grid.
- very difficult to get support directly from manufacturer.
eg: suggested some spelling corrections, and got told "contact corporate"
LP:
Can't think of anything in _my_ particular setup.

Last edited:

Ok, so in just a few lines, here's a quick tally:
- Company "might" be able to change settings / turn off power
- How could this have possibly passed UL? Government was paid off! That must be it...
- "people" are having problems, in more than one thread
- Maybe the manufacturers don't understand the US market
- Maybe the product was rushed to release
- These have issues! (?)
- If things were all good, this thread wouldn't be this long. Yes, thread length is obviously correlated to product quality.
- This is bad press. Yeah, nobody on this thread has ever said anything good about this inverter...

I don't know what your definition of FUD is, but this is clearly FUD to anyone reading it. If you have questions about the inverter, there are plenty on here capable of answering what it can or can't do. Pretty much everything above has been a negative statement with zero substance, about a product you have no personal experience with.

If you are genuinely curious about the product, add more detail to your request. Ask for clarification on other posts. I'm not clear to what your end goal is here...

Why can’t you use multiple lux inverters in parallel?

In response to the post you just made. I assume fud is/are derogatory remarks Re guarding the product(s). Not from experience and never claimed to have that in this field; however reading; software, grounding, and customer service are the biggest complaints across the board for all hybrids

Last edited:
Why can’t you use multiple lux inverters in parallel?
Nobody says you can't.
Could it be you just this is just in your mind?
In response to the post you just made. I assume fud is/are derogatory remarks Re guarding the product(s). Not from experience and never claimed to have that in this field; however reading; software, grounding, and customer service are the biggest complaints across the board for all hybrids

You seem to respond like a bot. Are you one ?

FUD == Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt. Comments do not need to be negative to be considered FUD.

software, grounding, and customer service are the biggest complaints across the board for all hybrids
Wow, ALL hybrids? I guess we shouldn't use them at all then. Again, specifics.

Echoing the sentiment from @fromport. Parallel inverters are possible, just read the thread without stopping at the first comment hinting of any sort of problem, or ask support directly. Back to the point - do you even have a specific configuration requiring the power output of multiple inverters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back