diy solar

diy solar

New Lux Power LXP-LB-US 12k / GSL-H-12KLV-US with 200A AC Passthrough Current (US Market)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can unplug the wifi dongle once you register it. And when you have to update the inverter just plug it in back….
With the wifi dongle not connected to the internet it will not save any data of the inverter…
I haven't done this but it should also work. Consider changing the gateway IP address of your dongle to an IP other than your actual gateway IP (e.g. change 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.250). That way, it would not be able to get to the internet. However, you will still be able to monitor the inverter with the Android/iOS apps on your local network by selecting local connect.

Attachments

• LuxpowerWiFi.png
    LuxpowerWiFi.png
    39.1 KB · Views: 14
I haven't done this but it should also work. Consider changing the gateway IP address of your dongle to an IP other than your actual gateway IP (e.g. change 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.250). That way, it would not be able to get to the internet. However, you will still be able to monitor the inverter with the Android/iOS apps on your local network by selecting local connect.

I haven't done this yet, but what about changing the network setting from TCP Client => TCP Server? I don't see any other way to 'disable' calling home, but this should be just as effective, and will still work with DHCP.

Screenshot 2023-01-17 at 10.24.38 AM.png

I spoke to the USA dealer i bought my unit from today.
He said the software to parallel inverters currently can go up to 3 units.
There is also another software upgrade available to do AC coupling (he showed me a video of an SMA string inverter AC coupled to the LP.
Currently there seems not (yet) be a software version that does AND parallel AND AC coupling for the LP (& oem) inverters.
I have asked to upgrade my LP to the AC coupling firmware.
Once done, I will hookup a few IQ8 micro inverters and do some testing.
Problem is as always I have a full schedule with my work so not much time during the day when the sun is shining ;-)
Which USA dealer did you buy it from, and for what price?

Does anyone have this inverter grid tied with all 200amps pass-through?
I am grid tied, but only have a few circuits on a 50A breaker'd CL panel passed through from the EPS port. For all intents and purposes, behavior of circuits on the CL panel will be identical to a full 200A passthrough, just at a smaller scale.

Do you have any specific questions or concerns about the pass-through? My only issue really is the switchover time from grid-down detection => loads powered by inverter is just long enough to reboot my computer. Easily solved by adding a small UPS to that outlet. Everything else - TV, router, etc. keep going without needing an additional UPS.

I am grid tied, but only have a few circuits on a 50A breaker'd CL panel passed through from the EPS port. For all intents and purposes, behavior of circuits on the CL panel will be identical to a full 200A passthrough, just at a smaller scale.

Do you have any specific questions or concerns about the pass-through? My only issue really is the switchover time from grid-down detection => loads powered by inverter is just long enough to reboot my computer. Easily solved by adding a small UPS to that outlet. Everything else - TV, router, etc. keep going without needing an additional UPS.
Thanks man, im just trying to figure how i wanna install it. I have went back and forth on how i wanna install it, i think I'm gonna go this route with a 125amp backup panel

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230123_095117.jpg
    Screenshot_20230123_095117.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 24
You and fromport are right. Sorry that it took me so long to realize it and stop focusing on the negative posts.

The GSL inverters are actually programmed to do exactly what I'm trying to do without an additional automatic transfer switch. When there is no power outage, the bypass relay is letting the existing system work as if the GSL inverters are not even there. When there is a power outage, the GT inverters and the GSL inverters relay disconnect from the grid, and the GSL inverter and batteries act as an UPS. When the batteries need charging during a power outage, the GSL can shift the frequency to activate the GT inverters to charge the batteries till they are full. If the batteries need charging when there is no power outage, the GSL will act as a battery charger with power from either the GT inverters or the grid. It seems that the 2 GSL inverters can do everything that I want now plus has the ability to provide 24 KW of additional power from future solar panels.
have you tested your 2 gsl inverters in parallel, or is that still in the offing?

Thanks man, im just trying to figure how i wanna install it. I have went back and forth on how i wanna install it, i think I'm gonna go this route with a 125amp backup panel
Transferring circuits to a new panel is no fun, so if you have the capability to connect your main service line (after meter) directly to the GSL GRID port, and EPS output back to the main panel, that would be ideal. I tried looking for something to basically replace my main 200A breaker with lugs on the input/output for this purpose, but I'm not sure if any such device exists, especially UL listed.

Transferring circuits to a new panel is no fun, so if you have the capability to connect your main service line (after meter) directly to the GSL GRID port, and EPS output back to the main panel, that would be ideal. I tried looking for something to basically replace my main 200A breaker with lugs on the input/output for this purpose, but I'm not sure if any such device exists, especially UL listed.
"Transferring circuits to a new panel is no fun"
I' m not looking forward to it but unfortunately that might be my best option

"so if you have the capability to connect your main service line (after meter) directly to the GSL GRID port, and EPS output back to the main panel, that would be ideal"
I wish i could but my meter is on the backside of my main 200amp panel and there is no disconnect between the two.

have you tested your 2 gsl inverters in parallel, or is that still in the offing?
No, I have not tested the 2 GSL inverters. I believe that I need a battery for my system to work, since my GT inverters are unable to modulate only on or off (not the UL certification with SA). I have bought a GSL 48v 14KWh 280 Ah battery and still waiting for shipment. I intend to go all-in and replace two existing GT inverters with two new GSL inverters. If the GSL inverters are unable to parallel and AC couple, I will need to disconnect the remaining GT inverter and connect all 19KW solar panels to the new GSL inverters. I still have some hope that when I receive the battery that maybe, the GSL inverters can parallel and AC couple. If so, I will leave one GT inverter working. I'm 76 not DIY, so baby steps or experimenting is not an option for me, I need to hire a contractor to install it ... so I have reasons to be cautious when making decisions.

No, I have not tested the 2 GSL inverters. I believe that I need a battery for my system to work, since my GT inverters are unable to modulate only on or off (not the UL certification with SA). I have bought a GSL 48v 14KWh 280 Ah battery and still waiting for shipment. I intend to go all-in and replace two existing GT inverters with two new GSL inverters. If the GSL inverters are unable to parallel and AC couple, I will need to disconnect the remaining GT inverter and connect all 19KW solar panels to the new GSL inverters. I still have some hope that when I receive the battery that maybe, the GSL inverters can parallel and AC couple. If so, I will leave one GT inverter working. I'm 76 not DIY, so baby steps or experimenting is not an option for me, I need to hire a contractor to install it ... so I have reasons to be cautious when making decisions.
Thanks for responding. I would test them out still before replacing your existing unit. I understand you can't test parallel without batteries but at least test the units individually.

You can replace your existing grid tie inverter with the GSL inverter now, without batteries it will work just like your grid tie inverter. I already tested this while I worked on my DIY Battery. And when your battery comes all you have to do is connect your battery and change the setting on the inverter.

You can replace your existing grid tie inverter with the GSL inverter now, without batteries it will work just like your grid tie inverter. I already tested this while I worked on my DIY Battery. And when your battery comes all you have to do is connect your battery and change the setting on the inverter.
In my case, I have (3) 5KW GT inverters with over 6KW solar panels each and I need to install (2) GSL 12KW hybrid inverters in parallel. I understand that there are many software updates, but none that permit both parallel GSL inverters and AC couple GT inverters. For now my only choice is to delete all (3) GT inverters and rewire all the solar panels to the (2) new GSL hybrid inverters.

My (3) GT inverters have worked flawlessly for over 3 years with no issues, so I do have another option. I can continue to do nothing while waiting for the 48v 14KWh 280Ah battery. Hopefully, GSL will be able to provide the proper software for parallel and AC couple. If not, Mr. FUD will take a leap of faith and have my original solar contractor to replace the existing GT inverters for the new GSL inverters with the battery.

Last edited:
you don’t have to parallel the inverter right now until you battery arrive. How my battery you going to have on your system? the GSL inverter is a grid tie so you can use it now. In fact you can put all your solar panel in one GSL inverter it’s capable of 18k of solar panel input… but its more efficient if you split on both GSL inverter… paralleling the inverter is more use in off-grid applications because it will balance the output for both inverters. why do you need 2 gls inverters, do you really need a 24kw continuous power to power you house. One inverter should be enough if you only using it for backup…

I didn't know that I did not need to parallel the GSL inverters until the battery arrived.

I still have a slimmer of hope that GSL will be able to parallel and AC couple. If so, I would prefer to only replace one GT inverter. My normal load is usually between 3-5 KWh, so 6 KW of solar panels with a 14KWh battery should be able to satisfy my normal load during the day during a power outage. If not, there is another 10KWh AC couple power to recharge the battery. If the system actually works, I do intend to add 2-3 more 14KWh batteries.

It would be less expensive for me to only connect (1) set of 6+KW solar panels than to connect (3) sets of 6+KW solar panels to the (2) new GSL inverters and remove all the existing GT inverters. Not sure how much solar panel rewiring will be needed, since the GSL DC voltages limits are lower than Fronius. I also like the idea that I have a spare GT inverter should I ever need to replace one of the remaining GT inverters or reinstall it should the GSL inverters simply stop working from hardware failure or stop working from a software update.

I wanted (2) hybrid inverters to avoid nuisance tripping, because I don't feel comfortable with only 50A backup power from only (1) inverter to provide whole house backup system for my home.

Last edited:
I didn't know that I did not need to parallel the GSL inverters until the battery arrived.

I still have a slimmer of hope that GSL will be able to parallel and AC couple. If so, I would prefer to only replace one GT inverter. My normal load is usually between 3-5 KWh, so 6 KW of solar panels with a 14KWh battery should be able to satisfy my normal load during the day during a power outage. If not, there is another 10KWh AC couple power to recharge the battery. If the system actually works, I do intend to add 2-3 more 14KWh batteries.

It would be less expensive for me to only connect (1) set of 6+KW solar panels than to connect (3) sets of 6+KW solar panels to the (2) new GSL inverters and remove all the existing GT inverters. Not sure how much solar panel rewiring will be needed, since the GSL DC voltages limits are lower than Fronius. I also like the idea that I have a spare GT inverter should I ever need to replace one of the remaining GT inverters or reinstall it should the GSL inverters simply stop working from hardware failure or stop working from a software update.

I wanted (2) hybrid inverters to avoid nuisance tripping, because I don't feel comfortable with only 50A backup power from only (1) inverter to provide whole house backup system for my home..
my system been running since October with ac couple on the EPS LOAD. With the new firmware the ac couple on Gen port only works when not connected to the grid.

Our inverter is capable to charge and discharge at 250A DC Max. or 50A Ac continuously which is 12kw and short peak at 24k for 1 sec… I tested mine at 200A DC charging and discharging with no issue..

I believe the new firmware can be parallel up too 4 inverters.

with my system with battery storage, we are saving about $850-900 on electric bill since our $/kw here is about $0.45 and when we sell to the electric company its only $0.10. our daily consumption is about 50-60 kw…

I think having one battery is not enough for the two GSL inverters. What is your $/kw to buy and sell in your states?

Did you know that our inverter can support load on the EPS load when the grid is down without battery aslong the sun is shining? And you set the correct setting on the inverter. I know this because when i got mine i tried most of the features that they claim…

Last edited:
with my system with battery storage, we are saving about $850-900 on electric bill since our $/kw here is about $0.45 and when we sell to the electric company its only $0.10. our daily consumption is about 50-60 kw…
Good to know that AC couple on the gen port only works when not connected to the grid. GSL might had told me, no problem that I can parallel my (2) inverters and AC couple my GT inverters through the gen port. The statement sounds like what I want, but definitely is NOT. Most of my production goes to the grid and is consumed at night. Now I know that I need to AC couple through the UPS port not the gen port,.

Panama, June 2022: The price of electricity is 0.176 U.S. Dollar per kWh for households and 0.187 U.S. Dollar for businesses which includes all components of the electricity bill such as the cost of power, distribution and taxes. Last year, Panama, produced 82% of its electricity from renewable sources with 52% from hydro-power. Panama has a 3-tier system with government subsidizing usage less than 300 KWh. The 0.176 USD per KWh rate is between 301-750KWh. Usage over 750KWh is about 40% more expensive or 0.244 USD per KWh.. As a pensionado, my electric bill is discounted by 25%.

My (1) battery is about the same as (3) 5KWh 100Ah batteries. However, I do agree with your statement that I need more batteries not just one. I intend to add 2-3 more 14KWh 280Ah batteries, if the system works. I bought only (1) 14KWh 280Ah battery just to test the battery and the (2) hybrid inverters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back