diy solar

diy solar

New Lux Power LXP-LB-US 12k / GSL-H-12KLV-US with 200A AC Passthrough Current (US Market)

Status
Not open for further replies.
so far all i get is crickets.
Understandable, it is night time in China ... so expect crickets. China is12 hrs ahead of us depending on where you live. An interesting fact is that all of China is officially on the same time zone - Beijing. United States has 6 time zones and about the same size as China.

Last edited:
Understandable, it is night time in China ... so expect crickets. China is12 hrs ahead of us depending on where you live. An interesting fact is that all of China is on the same time zone. United States is only 2% larger than China and has 6 time zones.
I'm aware of that, lol. It would have been nice if they sent the files while telling me to update it locally, instead of waiting for me to send them and email notifying them of what needs to be done. In anycase it has been more than 24hrs since I sent the email hence the post here.

By any chance can you DM the the LCD10 update? I asked for it, but so far all i get is crickets. And all this even though my serial number is higher than the one Grace told us for required for remote LCD update. EDIT: Along with instructions for updating, if you don't mind.
Which inverter do you have? I only have the file for large screen, which is for the first gen inverter of GSL and LuxPowers.

Which inverter do you have? I only have the file for large screen, which is for the first gen inverter of GSL and LuxPowers.
Like you I bought the prototypes from GSL, except I bought 2 inverters. My username is steve_tyler and password is GRV0423. My inverters and dongle numbers are
1688755326478.png
Do you need anything else?

1688921510966.png
My system was upgraded by Luxpower to the newest firmware. It is 11:26 AM and everything seems to be working great:
1688920207823.png
They seem to be "kicking ass" in the words of jjfmetal123. The Luxpower 12K installed either as a single inverter or as parallel inverters provides excellent performance. I am very please with my inverters and especially with the local support that Luxpower provides its customers.

Last edited:
Inverter was on in that time? There is idle draw, it is used to power the unit, screen and controls board.

Most inverters do not account for the watts needed to run the unit. I have a Batrium with a shunt and it will show the overhead the LV6548 inverters consume and it showed the watts the EG4 6500EX's used at idle.

The Lifepower 4 is 5.12Kwh so 10% would be 512Wh. If 8 hours run time, that would be 64 watts for overhead idle draw.
Yeah, I also use my Victron shunt to double check consumption across all my batteries. Saves a lot of time when troubleshooting issues.

Yeah, I also use my Victron shunt to double check consumption across all my batteries. Saves a lot of time when troubleshooting issues.
Any possibility that your arrangement can be interface with a sensor for a smart home. Hubitat has a routine to provide a voice notification that the door or window is open, if you try to turn on a wall mounted room ductless air conditioner. I would like to do the same, if the backup powerwall batteries are discharging.

Last edited:
Any possibility that your arrangement can be interface with a sensor for a smart home. Habitat has a routine to provide a voice notification that the door or window is open, if you try to turn on the air conditioner. I would like to do the same, if the backup powerwall batteries are discharging.
Possibly, but I dont get into all the home automation stuff. Too intrusive for me. I use solar assistant as my main monitoring tool.

Read a post in another thread:
1688993559233.png
My question is, the "smart load" function in the EG2 18KWPV is that also a feature in the Luxpower 12K?

Solar production started later this morning, so the batteries were charge by AC. According to the graph, it appears that the settings are discharging the batteries to 90% and then charging them back to 100%. So the batteries are getting their daily exercise at the same time that my family is exercising every morning. I believe I can disable charge first and just leave AC Charge enable without any changes to AC Charge.
1689001528283.png

Last edited:
Yes by using the Gen port…
You can use either NC or NO functions with Luxpower software programmable parameters for SOC to use as a sensor for a smart home. For instance if the batteries SOC=90% automatically turnoff AC or other appliances and announce, "system on battery power with low solar production."
1689009144380.png
If the solar production is enough to keep the batteries charged above 90%, no reason to turn off anything.

Need another sensor to determine power outages and signal a smart device to announce that there is a power outage plus announce when it is over. Might be able to rewire the $10 sensor not to activate a siren, but instead to close a circuit on a smart device, which trigger announcements. Might spend $20 for the sensor and get one with a light, so I have a visual notification that the power is still off or on.

Last edited:
Anyone know a reason why this could not be connected to the generator control circuit and use to trigger smart home commands? I do have dozens of Alexa devices, so it is compatible with my existing smart home. Alexa is cloud base, so I am wanting to transition to Habitat. There are other choices, but Habitat supports Alexa, Z-Wave, Zigbee, etc. Habitat might make the transition a little easier for me, since I have so many Alexa devices.

I intend to use the Luxpower software to program SOC=90% and send a signal to the device using the generator control circuits. I need it to use it as a trigger to execute Alexa commands to control other devices.

I have deleted Shelly 1 relay as a suggestion to use with the generator control circuit. My reason is that I am concern that this is an output set of dry contacts and not input. I have noticed other listings where they designate dry contacts for output. The schematic on the relay indicates an internal switch making me think these dry contacts are for output. The relay in the Luxpower is opening and closing a circuit to send a signal to the generator to turn on or off. We need dry contacts for input to use as a trigger for a smart home to read Luxpower opening and closing not opening and closing an internal switch/relay. I could be wrong, but better safe than sorry.
1689162546049.png
Shelly makes excellent relays and have a half dozen different relays for most applications.

Does anyone know the voltage of the generator control circuit? Since this is a control circuits for multiple brands of generators, I believe the contacts in the Luxpower inverter would be dry contacts. You can see on the Shelly relay that they are trying to cover many different possible control voltages, so it would make sense that Luxpower inverter generator control circuit is probably dry contact isolated from whatever control circuit voltage that the generator may need to use.

Sonoff does make a relay with dry contacts that can be used for input. This is not intended to imply that other brands including Shelly don't have something better. The Sonoff should be able to report the status of the Luxpower inverter control circuit and use it as a trigger for battery SOC=90% or whatever value the Luxpower inverter is set to activate a generator.

Last edited:
Anyone know a reason why this could not be connected to the generator control circuit and use to trigger smart home commands? I do have dozens of Alexa devices, so it is compatible with my existing smart home. Alexa is cloud base, so I am wanting to transition to Habitat. There are other choices, but Habitat supports Alexa, Z-Wave, Zigbee, etc. Habitat might make the transition a little easier for me, since I have so many Alexa devices.

I intend to use the Luxpower software to program SOC=90% and send a signal to the device using the generator control circuits. I need it to use it as a trigger to execute Alexa commands to control other devices.

View attachment 156803

Does anyone know the voltage of the generator control circuit?
You can, and even easier if you flash ESPHome to it, assuming you're already running the Home Assistant ecosystem. I do this with a similar device. Just be aware - some are able to read voltage state, some cannot. I have not yet done the research to see what this particular device is capable of :)

Edit - something like the Zooz ZEN17 may be what you are looking for. It has inputs, designed to read state (vs simple control of a relay/switch)

Last edited:
You can, and even easier if you flash ESPHome to it, assuming you're already running the Home Assistant ecosystem. I do this with a similar device. Just be aware - some are able to read voltage state, some cannot. I have not yet done the research to see what this particular device is capable of :)

Edit - something like the Zooz ZEN17 may be what you are looking for. It has inputs, designed to read state (vs simple control of a relay/switch)
Thank you, I really appreciate the response and suggestions!!!

Originally, I had planned to use Home Assistant since I had bought Solar Assistant Orange and they are both Raspberry Pi and can operate without the cloud. I saw a comparison of Hubitat versus Home Assistant. and decided that Hubitat might be an easier transition for me and both are devices able to work without the cloud. I already have several dozen of Alexa devices and Hubitat works with Alexa, Z-Wave, Zigbee, etc. Hubitat is more plug and play versus Home Assistant that is more of a DIY project for power users with development skills. I still struggle getting plug and play devices to work. :)

I will investigate Zooz ZEN17, ESPHome and Home Assistance ecosystem. This time I wanted to ask for advice before buying a system like Alexa that is cloud base.

Last edited:
I have ordered a Sonoff MiniR4, which indicates in the product description that it has dry contact input. I hope that the Sonoff will work as a sensor to report open/close of the generator circuit. The device is so small that it is made to fit into 1-gang box with a duplex receptable, which I intend to do and wire the receptable to be on/off with the generator circuit. This gives me the option to have a visual device or other device to be on/off when the battery SOC<90%. If the sensor will act as a trigger, my smart home can make announcements or automatically shed some loads.
1689165493231.png
I willing to gamble on the device to see, if it will work. I really want to know when the battery SOC=90%, so that I know solar production < consumption and we need to load shed. I live in Panama, so it will take 2-3 weeks for me to receive the item from Amazon and have it installed.
Good, bad or ugly, I will share the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back