diy solar

diy solar

New Lux Power LXP-LB-US 12k / GSL-H-12KLV-US with 200A AC Passthrough Current (US Market)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try this url from within your network, sub in your IP
This takes me to the Dashboard Display values, which the Dashboard is not using. The values listed for Dashboard Display are fine.
1689391130248.png
I assume "Disconnect on configuration page" means "Shutdown". I went through the shutdown procedure and even unplugged it for 30 seconds, but no change.

This takes me to the Dashboard Display values, which the Dashboard is not using. The values listed for Dashboard Display are fine.
View attachment 157531
I assume "Disconnect on configuration page" means "Shutdown". I went through the shutdown procedure and even unplugged it for 30 seconds, but no change.
Disconnect just means Disconnect. It's right beside the advanced button.

My Solar Assistant software is version: 2023-02-28
Device board: Orange Pi 3 LTS

When I received Solar Assistant Orange Pi from Watts247, Luxpower was not supported in the installed software. I needed to do an update to the latest version and then Luxpower was supported.

I don't see "Advanced Settings" on the configuration menu under the gear symbol. I see "Advanced" under Battery that shows the set values for Dashboard gauges, which it is not using. I see "Settings" under Inverter. I see "Advanced" under MQTT Broker. I see "Shutdown" and "Reboot" under System. Under the lightning bolt or flash symbol, there is absolutely nothing under that menu.

I went through the shutdown procedure afterwards I unplugged solar assistant for 30 seconds. When I reconnected the power, the led lights started working again on solar assistance. Software still looks the same to me.
Let's start again:
From the main menu, you will click the Configure (gear) icon in the top menu bar. This is the button farthest to the right.
In Configure, you will go to the Disconnect button (as Tim shows in his post) you will click on the Disconnect here.
Once you click Disconnect, the button changes to "Connect", do not click this until after the changes you want are done.
Now you click "Advanced" (right beside the Disconnect button)
This takes you to a new page in Solar Assistant, where you can change your settings as you like, but Solar Assistan does not save these changes until you return to the Configure page, and click "Connect".
Once you click Connect, Solar Assistant will work on the new settings - takes a few minutes +/- then it will recalculate the display and show this.

Solar Assistant did reply back this morning:
1689428022759.png
I have replied back to solar assistant with the Luxpower model and told them that some members on the DIY Solar Power Forum have helped me getting the gauges set. There are still problems with the load consumption versus the grid. Luxpower reports everything correctly, but Solar Assistant is not.

Last edited:
View attachment 157532
Odd, mine are showing correctly with 6000, 9000 etc.
I did change from SP6548 to the 18kpv unit so I wonder if there are ghost settings carried over ?

Odd, mine are showing correctly with 6000, 9000 etc.
I did change from SP6548 to the 18kpv unit so I wonder if there are ghost settings carried over ?
Mine also automatically showed the same Luxpower values when I installed Solar Assistant

The menu for the Display gauges settings don't specify units, so I didn't know to change kw to watts. Eventually, I changed 28 to 28000 and the gauges were no longer always showing 100%. If I had experience with Solar Assistance or the software simply asked for the values in watts, this would never had been an issue.

Last edited:
I notice that my battery graph below shows that my (2) GSL LFE 52V 14.3K 280Ah batteries are floating between 98-100%. The settings were meant to discharge the batteries to 90% and then recharge the batteries to 100%. I don't mind the trickle charge at low wattage, if it doesn't degrade the batteries.
1689463956421.png
These are my first solar batteries, so I know nothing. My concern was about number of cycles versus DOD.

1689472136679.png
From the graph above it appears that the number of cycles increases significantly as DOD decreases. Batteries are generally rated at a DOD=80%. This graph shows 6500 cycles at DOD=80% and only 3500 cycles at DOD=100%. This is a LFE graph and not intended to rate all batteries only to show the correlation between DOC and cycles. The actual numbers will vary with each individual battery manufacturer, but the relationship that higher DOD reduces the number of cycles remains the same.

The graph is based on 0.5C, which in my case is 140A per battery and the manufacture rates my battery at continuous charge at 150A. My system is set at 100A, which is 0.35C. A smaller C value reduces heat generation from charging and extends the life of the battery. Each battery charges at 56DCV x 100A = 5600W.

My original plan was SOC starts 90% and SOC stops 100%, which is DOD=10%. My concern is that the system charged two other times from 98% to 100% with a DOD=2%. I'm not sure why it didn't discharge to 90% and only charge 1 time per day. Obviously for the life of battery, this is insignificant based on the graph.

The number of charges is recorded in the battery BMS, so if the manufacture poll my battery ... does this count as 1 charge/day or 3 charges/day? This is a significant impact on the warranty, because 3/charges/day <6 years and only 1 charge/day is almost 18 years. My battery warranty is 15 years unless I exceed the number of charges in < 6 years. If my battery died in 3 years, have I already used 50%?

Last edited:
One cycle is typically calculated as a full charge/discharge equaling your battery capacity, not necessarily all at once. For example - charging/discharging 10x between 80-90% == 1 cycle.

In regards to degradation, this is a complex subject, as there are numerous variables to consider. Just sitting at 100% will contribute more to degradation than a 2% charge. I wouldn’t worry too much about it, especially given how many cycles these batteries can take. By the way, most published cycle life data is to where the battery is degraded to 70% original capacity - it is still completely usable.

No need to panic. The cycle count is an average based on DOD.

Probably more like one cycle every few days or more.
One cycle is typically calculated as a full charge/discharge equaling your battery capacity, not necessarily all at once. For example - charging/discharging 10x between 80-90% == 1 cycle.
Thanks guys. I feel better.

Received another reply from Solar Assistant:

1689613767810.png
If you update to the latest beta version, you are unable to return to an earlier stable version. You need to wait until a stable version has a later release date than the beta version. Since my Solar Assistant isn't working as shown below, there is little risk for me to update.

1689613664126.png
1689613700852.png

Deleted my post about when Luxpower software is going to edit their software.

I was wanting Luxpower software to show the last 24 hours, which is already being shown on the monitor menu. The graphs are just showing historical records for each day.

The software is excellent just the way it is.

Last edited:
Solar Assistant upgraded me to the latest beta version 2023-07-07. Everything seems to be working flawlessly. I am very please with SA.

1689697266626.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back